Do you think fur coats are pretentious? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depends.

I live north of 45, have spent some time in AK, and was a host to an exchange student from Moscow. So, even though I am an ethical vegetarian, I understand that there is texture to this issue. There are climates in which fur is much more neccesary than others, and it can (and of course SHOULD) be ethically obtained.

I think fur trim, especially real fur trim, is the height of pretentiousness. I mean, honestly, it's not there for function, it's there to pimp your apparent wealth.

There is this guy, who I see a lot at DH's work (a university). I don't know if he's an instructor or what, but he's older, and he doesn't just look pretentious, he looks like a clown. He wears a gray, silver, and white, insanely fluffy, full length fur coat with a matching Russian style hat. It's cold as all get out here, and this guy looks RIDICULOUS.

On the other hand, if someone is wearing a coat like they traditionally wore in cultures around the arctic circle, with the tanned hide (leather) on the outside (for waterproofness) and the real fur on the inside (for insulation), I think, "Now there's a coat". It's so functional, and so not meant to stylish that I think it must be worn for function, not form.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I wear a faux fur coat. It's pretty teddy bearish, though, not really trying to be a "good fake". And while I will wear used leather (ONLY if it's used), I couldn't bring myself to wear fur. Just a little too gross for me.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
For those who are looking to get fur at a thrift store, is it just to reduce the cost of the coat or for some other reason? For example, I don't think getting a second-hand, vintage, thrift-store etc. coat eliminates (or even reduces much) concerns about supporting the fur industry, just like buying a vintage diamond doesn't eliminate the concerns about supporting the horrors of the diamond mining industry. Doing so is still completely and totally supporting that industry and the public's demand for those goods.
I like the looks of vintage designs and I like the lower price tags..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
It depends.

I live north of 45, have spent some time in AK, and was a host to an exchange student from Moscow. So, even though I am an ethical vegetarian, I understand that there is texture to this issue. There are climates in which fur is much more neccesary than others, and it can (and of course SHOULD) be ethically obtained.

I think fur trim, especially real fur trim, is the height of pretentiousness. I mean, honestly, it's not there for function, it's there to pimp your apparent wealth.

On the other hand, if someone is wearing a coat like they traditionally wore in cultures around the arctic circle, with the tanned hide (leather) on the outside (for waterproofness) and the real fur on the inside (for insulation), I think, "Now there's a coat". It's so functional, and so not meant to stylish that I think it must be worn for function, not form.
I agree with your "it depends" statement, but in my experience, furs is still on the outside, even in many traditional situations. For example, the coat I wore as a child was waterproof, because it was seal skin. The seal was eaten none went to waste, the mom made the coat for her daughter, and then it eventually came to me.. the fur trim (around the ruff), was very stiff and folded outward making a "tunnel" which cuts down on wind issues.. where we lived wind is regularly over 75 mph, so it can be a real issue, and this is how the coats were made for centuries (although mine had a modern convenience added to it- a zipper).
#63 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depends entirely on who is wearing it.

The perfectly manicured, coiffed, dripping in expensive jewelry, perfume and fur woman I see shopping at Nordstroms when the temp is above freezing=pretentious.

The old eastern European lady I see at the grocery store who wears her fur coat because it's warm and she has obviously had it forever=not pretentious.
#64 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
I like the looks of vintage designs and I like the lower price tags..

I agree with your "it depends" statement, but in my experience, furs is still on the outside, even in many traditional situations. For example, the coat I wore as a child was waterproof, because it was seal skin. The seal was eaten none went to waste, the mom made the coat for her daughter, and then it eventually came to me.. the fur trim (around the ruff), was very stiff and folded outward making a "tunnel" which cuts down on wind issues.. where we lived wind is regularly over 75 mph, so it can be a real issue, and this is how the coats were made for centuries (although mine had a modern convenience added to it- a zipper).
Yes, but fur around the collar/cuffs/hood is functional! I guess those of us who live in the cold realize this.

I was thinking of an especially ugly coat that I once saw that had animal tails (maybe rabbit??) along the bottom of it, like fringe. It would've been hideous on any coat, in any material, but the fact that it was actual animal tails there for no purpose whatsoever made me roll my eyes even farther back.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#65 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 PM

I think it's silly to own a fur coat here, but it only rarely drops below freezing. There are stores that sell furs here and I wonder how they stay in business. It would strike me as pretentious if someone was wearing a long fur when it was 55 outside.

If you live in a place that gets seriously cold it's practical not pretentious.
#66 of 86 Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM

My very unpretentious grandma had a fur coat. It hangs in my closet now. I'd probably wear it, but it doesn't fit. Part of me wants to say she only wore it for special occasions, but part of me thinks she wore it whenever she went out in the winter.

When I was a kid, I had coats with fur trimmed hoods & sleeves. Of course, they were actual parkas, since we were living in the far north.

I think they can be pretentious, but it depends on the person wearing it & the situation.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#67 of 86 Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
For those who are looking to get fur at a thrift store, is it just to reduce the cost of the coat or for some other reason? For example, I don't think getting a second-hand, vintage, thrift-store etc. coat eliminates (or even reduces much) concerns about supporting the fur industry, just like buying a vintage diamond doesn't eliminate the concerns about supporting the horrors of the diamond mining industry. Doing so is still completely and totally supporting that industry and the public's demand for those goods. I feel the same way about getting puppies (especially designer breeds such as goldendoodles, chihuahuas, toy poodles, etc.) at dog resuces, but I know that's not a very popular perspective.
I would rather see things getting used, if not they are destroyed. So while I've never actively searched for a vintage fur coat, if I saw one at the thrift store and wanted one I would have no problems buying it there, yet would never buy one new.
I also have no desire to buy a diamond, but again if I was in a vintage store and saw a beautiful diamond ring (that for some reason was marked down to $5, lol) I would buy it.

I can only do my part by supporting companies/industries that are fair. I don't think the same way when buying used items. Because I would rather they be used than destroyed.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#68 of 86 Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM

I think they just plain look stupid. Even faux fur. I also hate the look and feel of leather - not even to get into the ethical part of it. I don't understand why anyone would want to wear fur or leather for fashion reasons. It's hideous.

-
#69 of 86 Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Au contraire!

I bought a new winter coat this year and did not realize until later at home that the fur trim around the hood was actually real raccoon fur. While fake fur is just for looks, real fur trim cuts the wind and shelters like you wouldn't believe!

We were walking home the other day and I hadn't taken a hat as the weather was nice-ish. Much windier on the way home, so I flipped up my hood. WOW!! It was an absolutely astonishing improvement over a hood without real fur trim. My hood isn't even quite as tight a tunnel around the face as is the hood on a real parka. No wonder parkas traditionally have fur-trimmed hoods and sometimes fur-trimmed cuffs.

Having learned this, I'm now sad that real fur is maligned the way it is. Makes it less likely I'll find it on a new coat several years from now!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#70 of 86 Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 PM

When my grandma lived in Miami it use to bug the hell out of her to see women hang their furs over their beach chairs. Russia, I wouldn't roll my eyes! I don't really like the look of them- most of them aren't pretty. IMO.
#71 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 AM

my great aunt Leona was very very rich. she married twice, both times to MUCH older men. 1 a lawyer, 1 a doctor & was widowed twice. she had no children.

as a child I used to play with her furs , costume (expensive stuff) jewelry & heals. Id prance around her big historic house surrounded by antiques .
she would have tea parties for me & my cousin & let us use the fine china. she taught us how to play bridge.

once when i was 9 she took me & my cousin to a play & let use wear some fur. it was a riot. I was a tiny thing, wearing a full length fur coat that was HUGE on me. my cousin was 5 & she was so mad the coats where too large for her to wear out & she had to wear a shawl .

when she passed 2 years ago I inherited the full length one I wore to the play , and a shawl. my cousin inherited one that goes mid thigh & the shawl she wore to the play.
neither of know what to do with the damn things! but they are sentimental .
she was buried in one (her request!)

my aunt was as pretentious as you could get..but we loved her!
#72 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
I think they just plain look stupid. Even faux fur. I also hate the look and feel of leather - not even to get into the ethical part of it. I don't understand why anyone would want to wear fur or leather for fashion reasons. It's hideous.
I'm almost completely unfashionable, and I love both the look and feel of leather.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#73 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Here in California - pretentious in almost every situation. When I lived in Russia - sometimes pretentious (like when BIL told sis that he'd buy her a floor length silver mink if their first-born was male), but most of the time utilitarian and very necessary.

But then here in CA, a fur coat is something to be shown off, a status symbol, worn with the fur out. In Russia, most of the time it's worn to keep warm, and usually worn with the fur in.
So? Did your sis get her fur coat?

I recently had a custom made Amautik made. Its a babywearing coat made by an Inuit lady up in Nunavut. I had the option of a fur rimmed hood. As much as it would have "completed" the look of the amautik, I just couldn't justify having real fur on it for ethical reasons and for the fact that for the climate I'm in, it just isn't needed.

If the ethical reasons were put aside, and I was in a colder environment, yeah, I think I'd go for it. The fur really protects against the wind and moisture, and it balances out the weight of the hood so that it isn't always falling off (backwards).

This is what an Amautik looks like. Mine's purple with black and red trim. No fur though. http://www.canon.ca/digphoto_images/...loutier_01.jpg

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#74 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I'm almost completely unfashionable, and I love both the look and feel of leather.
The only thing I think it looks good on is boots, like Doc Martens. I don't like leather jackets, pants, fringe, etc. Ugh.

-
#75 of 86 Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
No, not really. I think that using animal pelts/fur could be really useful in really cold situations.
I agree with this. I love the feel of fur but I don't live in a climate that requires it. If I did you bet I would be using it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#76 of 86 Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notneb View Post
I think there's a difference between fur meant to be worn as a fashion statement and fur meant to be worn to stay warm.
what she said.
#77 of 86 Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
when she passed 2 years ago I inherited the full length one I wore to the play , and a shawl. my cousin inherited one that goes mid thigh & the shawl she wore to the play.
neither of know what to do with the damn things! but they are sentimental .
she was buried in one (her request!)
I swear I've heard of people using their fur coats to make teddy bears.

http://www.stadlerfurbears.com/heirloom-fur-bears.htm

That website is what I'm talking about, I don't know if they give you the scraps back or what. But if you have nothing else to do with the coats!
#78 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM

DDs and I were at the Salvation Army one time, and as a joke I tried on a wool coat that had a fur lined hood--OMG! It was SO WARM!!! I bought it and wear it when it's really cold. My kids tease me about wearing Thumper--I just smile and say "MMM, Thumper sure is warm!"

I would love to have a fur coat--but I'd rather have the fur on the inside, because it is so warm and snuggly. I've thought about trying to make my own, or at least make a fur liner for one of my coats, from old fur coats purchased at the rummage house.

Pretentious? Maybe. Depends on where you live, and why you wear it. Me, I hope I'm not pretentious--but I might be SMUG because I'm so WARM while everyone else is freezing their bums off!
#79 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup. Not to mention really out of style and stupid looking. But I live in a semi-tropical climate where there is absolutely no valid reason to wear one.
#80 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM

I think the word pretentious is pretentious.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#81 of 86 Old 03-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
I think the word pretentious is pretentious.

I love the way this word feels when I say it. The movement of my tongue and the breath in it.....
#82 of 86 Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
I can understand the justification for wearing one in a really, really cold climate. That's a matter of survival.

But to wear one for fashion reasons alone. I could post what I thought about that here, but I might be banned, so I'd better not
Ditto to this.
#83 of 86 Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

Honestly, yes. I also think they're ugly as all get out.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#84 of 86 Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM

I used to work at a small retail shop at the mall, and my boss would walk down to the food court wearing her floor length mink coat And she had another one, which was apparantly not as good as the other one, that she referred to as her "crappy run around town mink coat, that I just use for getting the mail and going to the drycleaners."

My Dad got my Mom one like, 20 years ago and she has never worn it. I just think they are overdone, personally. Seems over the top. Plus, I really hate them on principal

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#85 of 86 Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 AM

part of me thinks, well, i wear leather, so who am i to judge...i don't know...i think it would depend on who was wearing the fur as to whether it struck me as pretentious or not. my great granny was a precious little southern lady who came from nothing and worked her tail off to make a nice life for herself. she was always extremely frugal, made most of her clothing, lived in a small house, paid cash for everything. she had a little fur stole that was her treasure. i wouldnt begrudge some sweet little granny a fur coat.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#86 of 86 Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 PM

I would love a fur coat but I'd have to move somewhere really cold so I could wear it. It rains too much out here. I would look like a drowned rat. . . (now there's an image )

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page