Do you own a SUV? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does a CRV count as an SUV? I've heard them referred to as CUV (Cute Utility Vehicles). I have to say I love it, decent gas mileage, very agile, handles well in the snow, just enough space for my two kids, plus gear. I also love driving DH's Honda Fit which is a teeeeeeny car, largely because I can squeeze into parking spaces that I couldn't normally with my CRV.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#32 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post
I've always wondered why SUVs are so coveted by families. To me, they get about the same gas mileage as a minivan, which seems MUCH more useful to a family than an SUV. I don't know any families personally that need the power to go off-roading

I looked at both when looking for our "family car" (as I had a two door civic before). I just don't like wasting gas on capabilities I don't use (like the power/sport utility aspects).

Do you think the dork factor of a minivan is just so huge, that families prefer SUV? Its the only thing I can figure myself

Unless you live where there are lots of snow and ice maybe???

Not being snarky, just wondering.

XOXO
B
Again, I don't know if my car (CRV) actually qualifies as an SUV, but it gets better mileage than all the minivans we've considered (Japanese largely). Which was a huge reason why we took it.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#33 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered why SUVs are so coveted by families. To me, they get about the same gas mileage as a minivan, which seems MUCH more useful to a family than an SUV. I don't know any families personally that need the power to go off-roading

I looked at both when looking for our "family car" (as I had a two door civic before). I just don't like wasting gas on capabilities I don't use (like the power/sport utility aspects).

Do you think the dork factor of a minivan is just so huge, that families prefer SUV? Its the only thing I can figure myself

XOXO
B

First of all, I love being a dork.
Secondly, I do live where there is a lot of snow and ice and my van has AWD. I feel very safe in my van.
The majority of ditch divers are trucks and SUV's. I rarely see a van in the ditch.

Oh, and my van seats 8 people. The center row has three removable bucket seats. The rear row is a bench seat that I don't use for car seats. That row is reserved for the agile nephews (9-10-11 year olds).

I love my power sliding door. When I have diaper bag on one arm, one girl on each hip, I like being able to press a button and the door opens.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#34 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:

We've taken my suv so many places and done so much with it I could never do in a van.

I have an older Dodge Durango. The gas mileage is horrible, but its paid off so we'll have it awhile. I really want either a Tahoe or an Acadia next but we'll see what comes out in the next few years.
#35 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

XOXO
B
I personally would never trade my minivan for an SUV, DH keeps trying to talk me into getting a large SUV when my lease is up on my Sienna and I refuse. There is a huge "mom" factor for some people, I personally love the child friendly options (sliding doors! ) that my van has and that alone is worth any soccer mom image.

We do live in a cold, snowy place so I have a AWD van, handles awesome in the snow. We just can't take my van up in the mountains in the summer, but we have an older SUV that we use solely for that purpose.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#36 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM

soccermama- We are die hard VW fans. Haven't had any problems with VW whatsoever! I know that there are certain years that are better than others, one friend had a big problem with their new Jetta and I guess the Touareg isn't that great for a few years. But for the most part we love VW's because they hold their value well and are good solid cars.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#37 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM

DH has a Jeep Patriot. He likes it a lot. It's small and gets good milage. I don't think it feels like an SUV at all- it's that small!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#38 of 54 Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM

We are in the market for a new vehicle as well. I LOVE Honda's, so reliable and they keep their value...I think 50%. We were looking at getting an Acadia but decided against it bc they are going under and it will be hard to get replacement parts. I think we are going to look at Honda first then maybe hylander.
#39 of 54 Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 AM

We love our suburban - It seats 8. We have 4 in carseats & occassionally have DFD's nurse with us on outtings so its perfect - roomy for storage too. Plus its American made. DH's family has a long history of GM employees so thats all we will buy. Ive had a trailblazer before kids & loved it, a saturn vue with 1 kid - 50/50 on that one - I liked how it handled but the backseat was too small.

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#40 of 54 Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

We have an small older model (the new ones are built a lot bigger) 2003 Toyota Tacoma crew cab with a short box and a cap on the back but the cap can come off.

DH is a carpenter(messy), we have a dog, we camp, bike, canoe and do our own yard work (bulk mulch and gravel).

It is awesome that all the dirt, dog hair and mess are not all over the upolstery. I love ours. The back seat fits two car seats and me.
#41 of 54 Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM

I have a 2005 Honda Pilot and I love it! Not too fancy, nice looking, dependable- heck my insurance went down $10/month because it is a very safe car according to State Farm I get 16 MPG on average, which isn't the greatest, but it could be worse. It can seat 8. Only thing I don't like is that I couldn't do 3 carseats across the back if I wanted to because it doesn't have middle latch (I don't think) and the seatbelt is one of those weird ones that comes down from the ceiling, and therefore not suitable to use for a carseat (I think!).

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#42 of 54 Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
First of all, I love being a dork.
Secondly, I do live where there is a lot of snow and ice and my van has AWD. I feel very safe in my van.
The majority of ditch divers are trucks and SUV's. I rarely see a van in the ditch.

Oh, and my van seats 8 people. The center row has three removable bucket seats. The rear row is a bench seat that I don't use for car seats. That row is reserved for the agile nephews (9-10-11 year olds).

I love my power sliding door. When I have diaper bag on one arm, one girl on each hip, I like being able to press a button and the door opens.
When we were researching back in '03, none of the very few choices on minivans w/ AWD got good reviews. So we went with a Honda Pilot, which is great (excpet for the windsheild wipers...I don't know if it is all Pilots but they are sooooo lousy).

We also have a smaller SUV, a Mitsubishi Outlander. DH works for Mits. so we get it for free. If his job tanks, we're going to buy it. I it. The 3rd row seating is useless for anyone but kids but we don't use it that often. And when we do, we stick the kids back there...their legs are short.
#43 of 54 Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
I drive an 11 year old Honda CRV-it's the best! Not one problem, perfect size, good gas mileage, etc.
We also have a '99 and it's in perfect condition with 110,000 miles on it. When my 13 year old needs a car we plan to give it to her (few years) and buy another Honda.
#44 of 54 Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
small enough that it wasn't like I was driving a beast but not tiny either.
Another diehard VW fan here too. That said, I recently traded my 2006 Beetle () in for a 2008 Honda Element... but love it. I guess this is considered a "mid-size" SUV. Same amount of seating as my Beetle - 4 seater, but being higher up and having more rooms for bikes and such, it's heaven and overall feel much safer on the road with the kids.

We also have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder - 7 seater, that my Hubby drives and is our "family car." We really enjoy this car too and they get about the same gas mileage wise.
#45 of 54 Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an x-terra. Fantastic vehicle. Good/great mileage, I like the storage, love how it handles and love the 4x4 in snow, sand, or mud. Its built for towing too,it is a very safe strong vehicle.
Ours has taken a beating, is covered in stickers, scratches, dirt, dents, there is tape on the broken light cover, the inside is covered in dog/horse hair, we pretty much live in it at times.
Id buy another one

Decluttering 500/2010
#46 of 54 Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
I have a Nissan Xterra. I LOVE IT! It's so sporty and just big enough for us -- a family of 3. It has great storage capacity, six disk CD changer, satellite radio, sidecurtain airbags....It's also very heavy so I feel safe it in. It can run over curbs and you won't feel a thing!
*woot*

Decluttering 500/2010
#47 of 54 Old 02-06-2009, 06:12 PM

I bought my '06 Escape when it was just me and my dog. A fiance, a baby and another dog later and it still works for us.

I feel like it can store a lot. I can fit 150lbs of dog in the back end, and that is what really matters for me anyway. When the dogs aren't in there I can fit the stroller and a week's worth of groceries no problem. When we went on a roadtrip to visit my brother we borrowed my in-laws' cargo topper and that gave us all the extra storage we needed.

I have used it to move house, and haul all sorts of things. I once had to bring an interior door home from the hardware store, and managed to do so with it hanging out the back window (I wasn't on a highway or anything). But my giant double sit-and-stand stroller that I use for my dayhome won't fit in it... that stroller is massive though, and I never need to get it in the vehicle anyways.

I like that it is higher off the ground, but not too high. It is comfortable getting the baby in and out. I have installed my carseat in a friend's huge pickup truck, and another friend's huge SUV, and they were both a huge pain. I had to climb up and into the backseat to lock the bucket in place. I would not enjoy doing that every day.

If we had something with a third row of seats we would have to take them out all the time to get the dogs in. So for now, the Escape works for us.

Our next vehicle will likely be a mini-van though. My DF would really like a Mazda Speed, but sorry to say, that is definitely not happening.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#48 of 54 Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 PM

no, I would never buy an SUV. I would get a jeep or a station wagon before I would buy an SUV. DH is thinking about a volvo or subaru station wagon. I have a VW Jetta that we got for cheap when I got pregnant. We sold the Toyota MR2 and the Honda CRX. Since there are going to be more then 2 in our family it was time for a back seat.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#49 of 54 Old 02-07-2009, 10:05 PM

We have a Hummer H3 and HATE it....so I wouldn't recommend anyone get one. It was designed really badly, is hard to get in and out of, and has zero storage. We had a Chevy Trailblazer prior to the H3, and think that's what we will get again when the lease ends on this POC. The Trailblazer was designed well and had a fair amount of cargo space. We regret not leasing one now.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#50 of 54 Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:

XOXO
B
MORE POWER!!
My mother got a minivan when we were kids, because 3 kids didn't fit comfortably with the carseat in their old car . . . yada yada yada usual story. Anyway, we had a Dodge Carvan with a 4-cyl. engine. Sounds great for gas, huh? IT SUCKS to drive. I got to practice driving on it because it was the "old car" by the time I was 14. It can't go uphill with the a/c on, it feels like you will never get up to Interstate speed, it just doesn't have enough power. If you are going to get a car that is as big as a truck you need a truck-size engine.

And if you are going to get a gass guzzling engine you might as well skip the dork -factor too.
Her next car was a GMC Safari with the large 6-cyl, and now she drives a long-version Yukon. She says she'll never go back to a car again.

Me personally, I think trucks ride better than cars. I don't know what you guys are talking about, maybe my family has sucky cars. When I'm riding in a truck you hit a pothole and keep going. When I'm riding in a car I feel like the entire car just kinda bottoms out in the potholes. I feel like my arse is scraping the ground on every bump when I ride with DH.

I drive a Ford Ranger, which is "sister" to the Ford Explorer which the OP said she didn't like. I want to know what's not to like? This truck is shorter to the ground than a monster, I can easily get carseats, heavy stuff and my dog can get in and out without help and I'm only 5' tall. I have a big 6-cyl and it even gets decent gas milage!
If you said that the Ford Explorer is HUGE you must be thinking about the Excursion or one of the other full-sized Truck/SUVs because the Explorers are small like a Ranger or comperable to an S-10.
#51 of 54 Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM

We have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica - I love how roomy the backseat is. But now that we have had the car a few years, it is definitely showing some wear (faster than we expected). My SIL had one with a 3rd row and captain's chairs in the 2nd row, but mine just has a bench in the back. But I love that I can have a RF Marathon in there and my DH can still have the seat all the way back.

Our next car will have a 3rd row, and probably won't be a crossover. The front looks like an SUV, but it has the width and size of a mini-van in the back.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May
#52 of 54 Old 02-08-2009, 06:58 PM

i drive an 08 Escape and LOVE IT. we can fit a ton of stuff in the back, it rides higher off the ground than a wagon or minivan (which comes in handy when we are on the ranch), it isn't enormous, and gets good mileage. plus, my long-legged DS is comfortable in the backseat.
#53 of 54 Old 02-08-2009, 11:04 PM

We used to have an Explorer...but we traded it in after we had more children...not room for us all My husband wants a Hum-V....but for right now we have a 12 passenger van and a little Honda for those times when its just the two of us or one or two of the children. The SUV's make me claustrophobic. I get sick in them. I hate the van it's too freaking big...don't want a hum-v because they look like a land crab. I want a BMW Roadster. Convertible..... of course. :

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#54 of 54 Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 AM

I have a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It's a great car. My only complaint is that the interior lights are pretty sucky, but that's a pretty small complaint.

jog.gifkid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page