I need ideas (renting a car to buy a car) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at a loss as to how to do this.

Our tax refund was deposited today, so tomorrow we need to go buy a car. Not a new one. In fact we're hoping it'll be nice and cheap. But we HAVE to buy one since our car is completely and totally dead. So in order to go looking around for a car we're going to have to rent a car to get there.

Now, if we're able to find a car to buy here in town it won't be a problem since we can just call Enterprise (the only place we can rent from) and they'll come pick up the rental. Then we can drive off in our new (to us) car.

The problem? We're having trouble finding many places here in town that have cars cheap enough for us. So we've been having to expand our search to other areas (Colorado Springs and Denver. We're in Pueblo).

I've already checked with Enterprise. If we rent the car in Pueblo we HAVE to return in Pueblo. Rent in Colorado Springs, return in Colorado Springs. Etc. Since we have NO transportation we're going to HAVE to rent it here in Pueblo.

So our dilemma. If we rent the car here in Pueblo, but buy a car in Colorado Springs or Denver (which it's looking like to be the most likely scenario), how do we get both cars back to Pueblo? I'm the only driver. DH doesn't even have a license.

We don't have any family willing to go with us. We don't have any friends that I could ask to drive a car back for us. (Only have one friend around at all, and she's in Denver. HUGE imposition to ask someone to drive our car back for hours, and then how would she get home???)

I'm completely at a loss. Totally confused. Please, someone, tell me there is an easy solution that I'm just overlooking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 PM

the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is to see find someone IN the city your buying the car who needs to get to Pueblo. Other than that I don't know. I've never lived with a person who can't drive!
#3 of 15 Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM

There are no public transportation options?

How about renting a van or something instead of a car? Penske, U-Haul, that kind of thing. They tend to operate on the assumption that you're going one-way with their vehicle, no?
#4 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Ask the dealer to deliver the car.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinderliter View Post
the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is to see find someone IN the city your buying the car who needs to get to Pueblo. Other than that I don't know. I've never lived with a person who can't drive!
Unfortunately we don't know yet which city we're going to be buying a car in. It'll depend on what's available at the time that we can afford and is dependable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
There are no public transportation options?

How about renting a van or something instead of a car? Penske, U-Haul, that kind of thing. They tend to operate on the assumption that you're going one-way with their vehicle, no?
Public transportation here doesn't seem to go between towns. And where we actually live there is NO public transportation. I've considered renting a truck from Uhaul, but they require me to arrange up front WHERE I'll be dropping off. And we don't know yet where we'll end up buying a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
Ask the dealer to deliver the car.
I didn't know they did that. Well, I figured they did for new cars. But do they do that for cheap used cars? We have to find a car under $3000 so to pay outright from our tax refund.
#6 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 02:29 AM

I don't know if they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, a friend purchased a car out of the city (about 2 hrs) by doing all shopping online and w/phone calls. It was used, but exactly what he was looking for. Have you tried shopping carmax or something? Or is that all new cars? What about local private sales instead of a dealer- most used cars don't come w/warranties anyway. Just make sure to pay to ahve a private mechanic check it out.

Maybe check another car rental company for alternate drop offs?

#7 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

We can only use Enterprise because the other car rental places in town either won't take debit cards, or do a credit check (and we've been declined).

We have a whole list of cars we've been looking at online, but DH refuses to spend thousands of dollars on a car until we test drive it. I can't say I blame him though. That's a LOT of money to spend on something sight unseen.

As for a private seller... I'd LOVE too. Unfortunately our bank doesn't have a location in Colorado so we can't pull the money out of the bank to pay a private seller. We can only pull $1000 a day at an ATM, so it would take several days to get the money for a car. Because of DH's work schedule (and my IL's willing times to watch DD for us) we have to go car shopping on a Saturday. Which is tomorrow. Next Saturday DH works. So if we don't get one tomorrow we don't get one for 2 weeks. Our car hasn't been working for about a month already. I'm at the end of m rope and just can't handle the thought of being stuck at home 24 hours a day for another 2 weeks. I admit, that part of the problem is my own selfishness. But I'm SO isolated here. I just can't do it.

But we can make a purchase up to $5000 per day on our card, so unless a private seller wants to take a debit card... well, dealer it is.
#8 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 02:54 AM

Any way your ILs would drive you? Or at least drive to you when you're signing paperwork (that usually takes 2 hrs after you actually decide to purchase)?

I understand not purchasing until you test drive, but you can usually get a good sense of what you're getting into before you get there. Especially if you call the dealerships and ask if the cars you see are available. they will try to get you to finance something more expensive.

Any cab services? If you're going to Denver- the airports have limo services to outlying areas- usually not too much money (in Chicago, they do anyway-my parents are 2 hrs outside the city and can get a one way trip either pick up or drop off for about $70)- not money you want to spend, but maybe an option.

#9 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:04 AM
crl

Greyhound?
#10 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

My IL's would be *willing* but they aren't able. Their car is on its last legs (wheels?) so they don't take it out of town.

As for a cab or bus service, we just can't afford it. Especially since we don't know WHERE we're going to be buying. So we'd have to take a cab from place to place, hours away, etc. Or take a bus to a town, and then get a cab to take us from place to place while looking for a car. And then HOPE we find a car to buy so we don't have to take a cab or bus home too.

That's the biggest problem I think. Until we get to test drive and inspect we have NO idea where we're going to buy from. Could be someplace 20 miles away. Or someplace 150 miles away. Our last car we thought seemed good based on the info we had. Did a quickie test drive and bought it. Didn't take the time to really look it over or shop around. A week later the car started overheating. Now after only a year, and numerous repairs, it's completely dead. We want to be more careful this time.

Right now we're thinking we'll have to drive up, find a car, buy it. Then drive the rental home and find a way for me to get back there to drive the other car home. Maybe a bus ticket then. A ticket one way for only one person might be doable. Ugh. Not an idea I like. But oh well. Whatever it takes, right?
#11 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
I didn't know they did that. Well, I figured they did for new cars. But do they do that for cheap used cars? We have to find a car under $3000 so to pay outright from our tax refund.
My mom bought a used car for about $7k and the dealership delivered it. she was replacing a car that was totaled in an accident and she was recovering from her injuries too (couldn't drive), but she needed to get the new car taken care of before her injuries would heal enough to drive for some reason, I forget why right now.. . They came to her house and picked her up to bring her to the dealership to look at cars, then when they picked one out they delivered her in her new car back home.

mta - I am surprised enterprise won't do a one way. Did you call and speak to the branch that is local to you? I just got a one-way rental from Budget, you can try them too. If you pay cash up front will they let you rent?

mta again - or can your in laws rent the car and you reimburse them? If they are willing to drive you but just can't use their car..

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#12 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
why not drive to the bank first on saturday morning and go inside to withdraw the cash with a teller? most banks are open on saturdays.
#13 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
My IL's would be *willing* but they aren't able.
If they're willing, why are they not willing to come along in the rental and drive the new car home for you? Or is that just one of those "the inscrutability of in-laws" things.
#14 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhymnia View Post
My mom bought a used car for about $7k and the dealership delivered it. she was replacing a car that was totaled in an accident and she was recovering from her injuries too (couldn't drive), but she needed to get the new car taken care of before her injuries would heal enough to drive for some reason, I forget why right now.. . They came to her house and picked her up to bring her to the dealership to look at cars, then when they picked one out they delivered her in her new car back home.

mta - I am surprised enterprise won't do a one way. Did you call and speak to the branch that is local to you? I just got a one-way rental from Budget, you can try them too.
Yeah, I spoke to Enterprise. We can return the car to the one we rented from or one other location. Here in town. They won't let you return outside the *metro area* it was rented in. :

The closest Budget location is about 45 minutes away.

I like the idea of having the car delivered. And it's something I'll ask about. Currently we're expecting to buy a car in Denver (it's biggest and has the most options we've found), so I'm just not sure if they'll deliver a car about 150 miles away though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirei View Post
why not drive to the bank first on saturday morning and go inside to withdraw the cash with a teller? most banks are open on saturdays.
We have Bank of America and there aren't any locations in Colorado. :
#15 of 15 Old 02-07-2009, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
If they're willing, why are they not willing to come along in the rental and drive the new car home for you? Or is that just one of those "the inscrutability of in-laws" things.
Inscrutability of in-laws things about sums it up.

Plus to be honest there wouldn't be room. Me, DH, DD1 (12yr old), DD2 (3.5), FIL, and MIL (they won't go anywhere alone) can't all fit in a car together. We've tried.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page