For those considering joining Facebook, or already on Facebook and uploading lots of pics... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... you should probably read the new terms of service

http://consumerist.com/5150175/faceb...ontent-forever

I am on Facebook and not planning on discontinuing my account, but I think this is pretty scary. And I'm not even sure how they pulled it off legally... I mean, I signed up before they changed the terms of use. Doesn't seem quite fair, especially considering the claims to "intellectual property rights" made by giant corporations all the time. Yes, Facebook is a private site, and nobody is forcing me to be on it, but it seems that it doesn't even matter if I resign now. What a breach of good faith on the part of Facebook

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#2 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont what to think about that, other than..I probably dont have anything they would want on it. Well the pics of dd are pretty cute, but thats all Id worry about.

Decluttering 500/2010
#3 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 PM

Um... wow... So they just change it like that and anyone who decides they don't like the new user agreement is screwed because concienciously pulling out and closing their account doesn't change the fact that the content remains property of Facebook... I know at least one person who is going to be in a pet over this because it was the old facebook agreement she agreed to, and only because of the "close your account and the contract expires" part.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#4 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Personally i know that every piece of info I put in the internet can be used against my wishes whether I agreed to a TOS or not.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#5 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM

But if a company uses your info in a way that violates the TOS, then there are actions that can be taken to recover at least some sort of compensation. TOS like that is basically just saying "It's ours now, your screwed. If you agreed to the old one, but not this one... well there's still nothing you can do :evillaugh:". I don't think she was even given notice about that changes (I'll have to talk to her), which any halfway decent company will do even when they say in the TOS that it may change without notice just because it's the nice thing to do.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#6 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I think you should probably just be okay with people doing whatever they want with anything you post online.
#7 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

just an FYI, school pics are frequently regarded as property of the photographer as well. My sister's highschool pic was used by a well known website in a banner ad. When she contacted them to have it removed, they told her that the photographer owned the pic and they bought rights. So now she has her pic on a banner ad that she hates.
#8 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 PM

i've never liked facebook. i prefer myspace

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#9 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

I *hate* myspace because people create their own backgrounds and such that are so loud and obnoxious that I want to put out my eyes.
#10 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
I *hate* myspace because people create their own backgrounds and such that are so loud and obnoxious that I want to put out my eyes.
Yes.
Too many blinkies.
Too busy background that you cannot even read the type over.
Music loading that freezes my computer for 5 minutes.
Don't forget too wide.
Bad stuff. I want to go there, but it's too much for me.

OP- I cannot get fired up over this FB thing. Mostly because it's unlikely they care about my photos with the thousands upon thousands of good ones to choose from. If I were a photographer, I'd probably feel different about it (but I'd include my copyright and year on it like I do my artwork).

DS 6 DD 8
#11 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 AM

Every once in a while I hear about all the conversations going on on Facebook, and think about signing up, and then I read something like this and think nope, not gonna do it.
#12 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Consumerist reviewed the new Facebook Terms of Service and pointed out that the new TOS still provides as much "protection" as the old one ever did for content that you restrict access to with your privacy settings. Facebook has responded to their review.

I agree with the previous poster who assumes very little privacy of personal data shared online. But I think people are over-reacting to this TOS change versus half the stuff that most of those agreements mention.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#13 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 AM

This is pretty typical. I'm surprised people are getting worked up over it. Anything on the internet is pretty much fair game for anyone, especially if you don't own the domain that's hosting it. The same thing happened a year or so ago when Livejournal started deleting accounts it didn't agree with and everyone went "ZOMG, thatz my lyfez! LJ sux!"

Whenever you use something you don't own, you relinquish rights to whatever content you have placed on it. That's pretty much an industry standard.

That being said, MySpace is the devil. I can't begin to explain how high school drama it is. Oh, and the blinkies are sooo annoying.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#14 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 AM

Meh

It's one of those legal smegal things that a good defense lawyer can probably stomp on if you actually get into it.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#15 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 AM

Yep yep... I just started participating actively in Facebook, and have only uploaded a few pics that I specifically wanted to share with someone. We have our entire photo album online on our private site (private in the sense that we have our own domain and pay for hosting, so NO ONE else has any rights to the content we upload... it's public to the web, but not searchable), so I point people there (in private messages) if they want to see my kids and stuff.

If you upload stuff there, it becomes part of that universe. And there's really NOTHING they can do to prevent that, so their TOS makes it explicit.
#16 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
OMG, you are SO RIGHT.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#17 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 AM

Or, you know, avoid having any digital photos taken of you whatsoever, because even if YOU do not have an account, chances are, your image is on there.

It does not bother me too much because I'm a very, very boring person with a boring life (I like it that way), so the chances of FB ever using my "stuff"? Non existant.
#18 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 AM

I have a question about this and am hoping someone can answer.

If I upload photos of my babies, and restrict the privacy settings so only a couple of people can see the photos, can Facebook take those photos and sell them to Pampers to sell sposies? Or use them in, say, a Facebook marketing campaign?

I try to keep everything private, but if they now own the images of my kids I'm going to pull them down (I know it says they own it everything perpetuity now, but I think they'll either forget about me or purge the photos at some point, not to mention the lack of notice would probably allow me to win in court if I did feel the need to litigate over it).
#19 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

HA! They reversed themselves:

Quote:
Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.

If you want to share your thoughts on what should be in the new terms, check out our group Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.
#20 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danelle78 View Post
HA! They reversed themselves:
I saw that this morning. You kind of had to see that coming. It's been on the news daily here since it was first announced. I can't even imagine the kind of 'response' they got for it.
#21 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM

I'm glad. We have to keep an eye on it though and see what happens when they revise the TOS again . . .
#22 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Ah facebook... caving to the will of the masses. If more companies were like you we might actually see some bigger changes associated with boycotts.

#23 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yay for consumer awareness!
Though I agree that it is a given that anything you post online on a site owned by someone else becomes fair game, the thing I did find creepy about the now-old-new TOS is that you were no longer allowed to pack up and leave. So having signed up in the good faith that, even if random people online did rip off my pics for some reason, I could at least at some point decide to close my account and disappear with my photos forever, it just bothered me that they changed their rules all of a sudden way after I agreed to something completely different.
And I don't think I have anything that Facebook would want either, it was more like the principle. It's a slippery slope to, for example, security companies owning exclusive rights to all footage of you caught on public security cameras (which they probably already do, come to think of it...).

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#24 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM

Now's the time for everyone to cancel their account, while the old rules are back in place. But then again, you never really know if they will keep a copy anyways. And give it a bit of time, they will come up with something else just as bad.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page