Summer Vacation tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is your favorite place to go whether it be a family vacation or a vacation with just you and your DP/DH?

We had our first family vacation last year to Northern Minnesota. It was over 4th of July weekend and the weather couldn't have been any more perfect!

In years past, we've gone to Maine and Florida. I would love to visit the Pacific Northwest some time this year - Oregon or Washington.

Tell us about your favorite vacation spots and why.....
#2 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is really a TAO topic, so I'm moving you there.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Our summer hangouts are Laguna Beach & the Newport Beach area (Crystal Cove & Balboa, in particular) and Santa Barbara. We go to the first two just about every weekend, and SB several times in the summer.
#4 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Even though I live on Cape Cod, my mom rents a house farther out on the Cape each summer (Eastham). It is close to home but so far away from our every day life. The cousins all swim, bike ride, build, outdoor games, hangout and just enjoy! My mom, sister and I sit, chat, visit, knit and relax. It is just the best week. We do lots of the same things each year too - flea market, drive-in, certain restaurants, National Seashore beach, whale watch, hikes, etc. Oh, I can't wait for it! :

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#5 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 AM

We've done SoCal multiple times (Huntington Beach, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Anaheim, San Diego, Hollywood), Vegas (hated it, never again), tons of places in WA (my home state - our favorite is Leavenworth and we go to Mt. Rainier a lot), a few places in IN (DH's home state), Oregon (Seaside, Canon Beach). Mexico is calling us there in June; way too excited. Next year will probably be a cruise in the Bahamas (which is a bonus because we have friends in Orlando and would stop there for a few days beforehand) or Maui. I'd also LOVE to go East and visit D.C. (maybe when the kids area bit older) and Philadelphia (DH has a brother there and I've never met him or my nieces).

We to vacation! Nothing too 'glamorous', that can wait until the kids are grown

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#6 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy444 View Post
Even though I live on Cape Cod, my mom rents a house farther out on the Cape each summer (Eastham). It is close to home but so far away from our every day life. The cousins all swim, bike ride, build, outdoor games, hangout and just enjoy! My mom, sister and I sit, chat, visit, knit and relax. It is just the best week. We do lots of the same things each year too - flea market, drive-in, certain restaurants, National Seashore beach, whale watch, hikes, etc. Oh, I can't wait for it! :
I live in Western MA and people that don't live around here don't get why I like to vacation on the Cape. They can't figure out why I'd want to be a tourist in my own state. It's like being a million miles away from the city! We're staying in Truro this summer in a cottage on the beach, I can't wait!
#7 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM

We like to camp anywhere!

I'd love to go to White Sands, NM. and see all that white sand and go sledding in it!Just recently found out about it. But not going to happen this year.
#8 of 17 Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM

South County, RI. We stayed in a B&B in Wakefield but it's a bit pricey. Don't know if we can go away for a couple days this summer... I'm doubting it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#9 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 AM

St. George Island, Florida

I feel lightheaded just thinking about being there

*swoon*
#10 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 PM

We like to go to Myrtle Beach, SC and stay at the Kingston Plantation. Heaven. We might try to go this summer, but we're not sure dd can handle the drive. WI is a long way from the beach!
#11 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 PM

France for camping, Italy for the food and culture, Spain for the people and scenery.

I lurves me some Mediterranean
#12 of 17 Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 PM

We had our honeymoon in Madeira (while I was pregnant with DD!) and it was wonderful! I also love Crete. I have a bit of a thing for islands obviously, which is weird because I get terribly sea-sick! (Always fly there!)

Both those places were perfect for the type of holiday I like: lots of walks, history, some sun and sea, small towns with friendly people and good food and wine.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#13 of 17 Old 02-22-2009, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
St. George Island, Florida
We love it there. We've gone back to the same house for several years. I love that we can take our pet and get a house big enough for my parents, my sibs, their spouses and kids, us, and our dog, and still not be on top of each other. The dolphin watching is cool, too!
#14 of 17 Old 02-22-2009, 11:36 AM

I live in Mass and spend the majority of our vacations on the Vineyard. We rarely go out just stock up on food and wine and hang out at the house/beach the whole week. Occasionaly we deal with the crowds to hit Mad Marthas for icecream or the candy bazzar but that is about it. We love it! :

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#15 of 17 Old 02-23-2009, 12:24 PM

We're going camping this year. I live in MN, my sister lives in Kansas, so we're meeting halfway in Des Moines. Haven't decided if we're going to tent it or get cabins (normally we'd tent it, but since I've got a babe we might go for the cabins, not sure). We used to camp all the time when I was a kid but I haven't been camping in YEARS, and my sister is SO not the camping type but since her DS is in Cub Scouts and her daughter is in Girl Scouts she caught the camping bug this past summer. It may not sound like much, but I'm super excited :

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#16 of 17 Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM

We spend the vast majority of our vacations in northern MN

We also like to camp and have visted lots of national parks.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#17 of 17 Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Last summer, our family went to Vermont and Quebec. We loved the historic areas and museums, and the break from sweltering summer heat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page