Are your parents on Facebook? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if the people saying no are mainly younger (i.e. early 20s?). Or maybe just have really annoying or controlling parents? As someone in her late 30s, I can't imagine feeling monitored by my parents on facebook. But then again, at this point I'm not posting any kind of compromising or embarrassing pictures there anyway. I'm friends with my boss on facebook too...now THAT felt slightly weird at first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Within the past couple of weeks I've received friend requests from both my mom and my dad. I don't know why, but it kind of makes me a little uncomfortable to think of having them as my "friends".

I think it is because Facebook is sort of part of my social life. I like having some of my life private from them.

I don't know. I just can't bring myself to accept their friend requests. It feels odd.
Ha! Yeah, I recently got a friend request from my mom on Facebook. No way am I friending her back, mostly due to all the things you said.

It totally surprised me and weirded me out, though. She's not exactly Internet-savvy.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#93 of 102 Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
No. I also would feel odd to have them as facebook friends.
I love them dearly but I would feel like I was being monitored.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#94 of 102 Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM

My father whom I *barely* have a relationship with (we talk 0-2 times a year) just sent me a friend request the other day. I figured "no big deal" but after less than 24 hours passed, I felt monitored and pulled him.
I'm 32 years old and really don't relish having him seeing me there when he still thinks of me as being 5 years old (which was my age when he left). Too creepy.
I'd friend my mom but I feel differently about her and she recognizes that I'm an adult.

DS 6 DD 8
#95 of 102 Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 PM

My mom is on facebook and is now my friend. I felt like I couldn't refuse her, but I do feel a bit weird and I am considering putting her on a restricted profile list. I don't know, but I sometimes use my status to vent about random things, and I don't want my mom knowing about them all.
#96 of 102 Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 AM

My parents aren't on either site. They don't know that I have a facebook and only know I have a myspace because my brother brought it up. I would not want them to be my friends as I talk about sex and other things that I don't talk about with my parents on myspace. Facebook I might not mind as much but I know my mom and she'd question how I know each friend, etc. I just like my social life to be more private from them... Man, that sounds so bad but I don't mean it that way, at all. It is just that I just wouldn't like it.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#97 of 102 Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 AM

heh, well that would preclude my mother knowing how to turn on a computer

no, my parents aren't on Facebook or anything remotely similar, and I wouldn't add them if they were. Chalk it up to a generation gap, whatever, but that would just be supremely weird.

my ex's parents have Facebook/Myspace, all that. His mom is his number 1 friend. I find that to be pretty strange, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's not helping his dating prospects much either... :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#98 of 102 Old 03-24-2009, 02:49 AM

Yes, my parents have facebooks and they are both on my friends list. However, I don't think they use their facebooks regularly. My dad has a picture up, but my mom doesn't. Various aunts and uncles have facebooks, too. I don't mind, I don't post a whole lot on facebook.
#99 of 102 Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahhh View Post
I'm wondering if the people saying no are mainly younger (i.e. early 20s?). Or maybe just have really annoying or controlling parents?
yep and yep (i just turned 22)

yeah my dad tries to control or know every bit of my life but nothing is a ny of my business when it comes to him. he had a heart attack and no one told me until a few days later when he was going to have a multiple bypass the next day. and im his only child...yet i was yelled at for not telling him about my pregnancies or births until after a few months/days, or that i was in the hospital for a week...and thats not the only thing like that.
#100 of 102 Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahhh View Post
I'm wondering if the people saying no are mainly younger (i.e. early 20s?). Or maybe just have really annoying or controlling parents? As someone in her late 30s, I can't imagine feeling monitored by my parents on facebook. But then again, at this point I'm not posting any kind of compromising or embarrassing pictures there anyway. I'm friends with my boss on facebook too...now THAT felt slightly weird at first.
Possibly. I'll be 26 soon so I'm no longer in the younger category but my mom is kind of annoying. Love her to death but just don't want her all in my business. I don't post embarrassing pictures but on my myspace I have a few entries on my blog that are only about sex and how much I like it. Not something I'd want to invite my mom to read. If she reads it otherwise, I don't care. But putting her on my friend list would just feel weird to me.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#101 of 102 Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 PM

My mom and in-laws are on Facebook. I'm friends with my mom but not my in-laws.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#102 of 102 Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 PM

My mom just joined. It is odd. I keep ignoring requests from dh's aunts and cousins. Some of these are people I don't know at all and have never met!

I agree that it's definitely a social thing for me. To keep family peace I don't discuss religion or politics in depth but I do have my beliefs posted to my Facebook.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page