Mothering saves the day! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My partner is second-in-command in our Fire Dept. When my 3yo got a bead stuck up her nose last week, my EMT skills abandoned me and I called him begging him to come and fix everything.

Before he even got in the command truck, he checked MDC for info and advice on removing beads (or any foreign bodies) from nasal passages.

When he got home, (still on duty), he plugged the non-bead-filled side of our 3yo's nose with his finger, and blew gently into her mouth.

The bead flew across the room.

I am so grateful to MDC, and grateful to have a partner that appreciates the wisdom shared here.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#2 of 23 Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt so dumb when I realized that a bead ect could be remevoed like this and I call myself educated! Glad the bead is un-stuck! and cudos to your partner

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#3 of 23 Old 02-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Aww! Yay for MDC!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 23 Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 PM

I've never heard of removing something in the nose that way.

I'm a First Responder (CPR Pro) and have been told to never blow into someone else's mouth unless they aren't breathing.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM

I agree with DaughterofKali and will add this is potentially dangerous in a child. Their lung capacity is small anyway and in a case where the lungs are already inflated...yikes!
#6 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM

I agree that it sounds dangerous. I'm also CPR trained. The lung capacity of a small person is ..well.. small. Though, he *did* blow gently. I don't know, I just think this has the potential to go very wrong. It's a tough one. What DO you do with an instance like this, with something stuck up the nose...?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#7 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Dd stuck an acorn up her nose when she was just past 3. I didn't think of it until after the trip to the ER but next time I will try to remember to have her sniff a little bit of black pepper to make her sneeze, that is if she won't blow her nose.

Not sure if that's dangerous or not, but it's all I've got!

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post
Dd stuck an acorn up her nose when she was just past 3. I didn't think of it until after the trip to the ER but next time I will try to remember to have her sniff a little bit of black pepper to make her sneeze, that is if she won't blow her nose.

Not sure if that's dangerous or not, but it's all I've got!

Sus
Um... no personal experience, but I'm thinking it would be a very BAD idea to have a small child sniff pepper in the hopes of getting a sneeze... sniffing ANYTHING would likely cause the object to become even more stuck, or worse, suck it into his/her windpipe and start choking the child.
I've even heard that it's not a very good idea to tell a young child to "blow" when they have something stuck in their nose because most will instinctualy breath in through their nose first.

I think the method described in the OP sounds like a great idea, just as long as small lung capacity and breathing gently is kept in mind. JMO
#9 of 23 Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Not to turn this into a gross out thread but one of my kids shoved a dried bean up her nose and I sucked it out. With my mouth.
#10 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM

Ds got a pea up his nose once (he likes to smell the food first to make sure it meets his standards). He was just three, and when instructed to breath in through his mouth, then out through his nose, he did just fine. The pea came out.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#11 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
Not to turn this into a gross out thread but one of my kids shoved a dried bean up her nose and I sucked it out. With my mouth.
gross

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#12 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
: I've seen grosser on here.
#13 of 23 Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah! Mom of the YEAR!

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#14 of 23 Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

For everyone screeching in here about how it was such a bad idea...may I remind you that my husband is a 23-year EMT-III, DC of our Fire Dept, and was just looking (quickly) for a solution other that McGill Forceps up the nose of a petite 3yo??

He's her father, he'd never do anything unsafe to help her through something as simple as a bead extraction. If it came to it, we'd have hit the ER at 2am. Luckily, we didn't have to.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#15 of 23 Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Wish I'd though of using suction when dd did the same thing... actually I don't remember what I did. I think I waited until she took a big breath (she was crying) and held the other side of her nose closed. Bean came out just fine. She hasn't put anything up her nose since (except her fingers)

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#16 of 23 Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
For everyone screeching in here about how it was such a bad idea...may I remind you that my husband is a 23-year EMT-III, DC of our Fire Dept, and was just looking (quickly) for a solution other that McGill Forceps up the nose of a petite 3yo??

He's her father, he'd never do anything unsafe to help her through something as simple as a bead extraction. If it came to it, we'd have hit the ER at 2am. Luckily, we didn't have to.

I thought you were an EMT and called your partner.. .like police have partners. :
#17 of 23 Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Yep, I used this trick to dislodge a split pea from my DDs nose. My husband is a physician, and when I called him for help, his MA overheard his half of the convo and suggested it. It worked like a charm.

Of course there was another one, stuck even further up, that had started to swell from the moisture in her nose and wouldn't dislodge. So I still had to take her in to have that one removed. Note to self: When you spill split peas, make sure you get ALL of them up off the floor.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#18 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post

I thought you were an EMT and called your partner.. .like police have partners. :
I'm a *former* EMT/FF. My partner (spouse) is our Deputy Chief, and has been an EMT-III for over 20 years.

FWIW, my DP did mention before coming home that I should try the technique myself, and he was very clear about the "gentle" part. As a former EMT, of course I"m aware of a small child's *small* lung capacity.

In no way would any thinking person blow a full adult lungful of air into a 3yo's body.

I was just thrilled that something so simple took care of the problem, and horrified that I lost my head in the first place. All I could say was, "Come fix it!!"

Someone else's emergency, no problem. My kid stubs a toe, and I am a puddle of tears.

love, p

#19 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Yay!

FWIW, I want to say it was in the "Annals of Emergency Medicine" a few years ago, but it could have been the "Journal of Emergency Nursing" (I read both & can't remember) -- this technique was demonstrated with a bag valve mask (BVM) as a last resort method to manual removal in the ED setting.

I'm glad it went so well.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#20 of 23 Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM

Glad all came out fine My ds recently stuck a hershey's kiss wrapper up his nose He gets a hershey's kiss in his lunchbox every day. When I picked him up from school his teacher casually says "oh, btw- he stuck the wrapper up his nose". Yeah, great. Thanks. I called his dr who said to take him to the ER (it was WAY up his nose, I could barely see it). Before going to the ER I went to work (I work at a daycare and my shift was supposed to start right after I pick ds up from school). I knew a co-worker had lots of experience with her kid sticking things up her nose (lol). She got it out within seconds with tweezer looking things (not typical tweezers- they were some special tool her dr told her since her kid kept sticking things up her nose).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#21 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 AM

We use a drinking straw to suck stuff out of the children's nose / ears. It puts suction on the item and you can pull it out.
#22 of 23 Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM

You're DH is better than me!

My DS stuck the **SMALL** (as in, not 100% sure where the heck it came from but it sure of heck shouldn't have been out where my DD could get it!) axel of a toy car up his nose. I had to call my neighbor to help me pin him down and use tweezers.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#23 of 23 Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

All the "up the nose" stories are making me giggle and be horrified at the same time! I love the teacher casually saying, "Oh, by the way, he stuck the wrapper up his nose..." As if that's a totally normal, day-to-day occurance.

(And BTW, I think the tool you are describing is probably a set of McGill <sic> forceps..they're specially designed just for delicate and curvy things like that).

I was at a park once when both my DH and I were asked to help remove "something" from a friend's 2yo's nose...neither one of us was comfortable with the situation as the object was far back...and that was lucky. It looked like a small pebble, but turned out to be 3 INCHES of some wierd styrofoamy stuff the kid found on the playground. His mom told me, "The PA started pulling (with McGill forceps) and it just kept coming, and coming, and coming..." (Where does a 2yo PUT 3 inches of styrofoam if it's not directly in their skull? This was an experienced mom, so when she said she was amazed and horrified, I know it was a LOT of styrofoam).

Somehow I don't think anything but those forceps would have gotten that out!

love, p

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page