Let us all say a prayer of thanks for bad weather. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you. Thank you, God. Our local forecast is calling for 7-12 inches tonight into tomorrow. This weekend was my only weekend to clean house, write a paper, read two chapters, and study for school, and run my errands... and I came down with the stupid FLU!!!!

When I woke up this morning, I heard the news about the weather, and I am praying work will be closed for tomorrow!!!!!! I need another day of rest! ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 12:27 PM

We are getting up to 15". (In like a lion, out like a lamb)

Sorry you're sick. I'm hoping they cancel school tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they will but it doesn't matter...I'm not taking ds to school if they don't close.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#3 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Yep yep...
I *heart* snow.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 PM

I could handle another snow day. Last week we got a ton of snow and they delayed opening our offices for two hours.... I could be much happier having the whole day off with pay.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#5 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Fingers crossed here for lots of snow too, they said 8-14" :
#6 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yay snow! Yay snow!

Hey Kim, when you say a "ton" of snow... I'm thinking to myself... "and their offices didn't close down?" So what is a "ton" of snow where you live? Here, anything over five or six inches would qualify as a lot of snow in my book.... I'm such a lightweight, lol!
#7 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm so sick of winter! That stupid Groundhog was wrong- I thought he didn't see his shadow last month?

I spent the morning decluttering, and I offered some stuff on Freecycle. I got one response saying "I can come over in the next hour to pick up those boys' clothes before the storm" and then somebody else "I'd love those sheets but I can't pick up until Tuesday night because of the storm." And I'm like "storm? what storm?" So I checked yahoo weather and, sure enough, they're predicting 6-11 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 17 Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 PM

There's 10-15 inches forcast for around here as well. I have a weird feeling that this babe will choose the height of the storm to decide to be born. We're not far from the hospital, but I've been mentally preparing for an unexpected UC just in case

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#9 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland View Post
Yay snow! Yay snow!

Hey Kim, when you say a "ton" of snow... I'm thinking to myself... "and their offices didn't close down?" So what is a "ton" of snow where you live? Here, anything over five or six inches would qualify as a lot of snow in my book.... I'm such a lightweight, lol!

Last week we got around a foot of snow and rather than closing for the day, we were delayed til 10am. Now this morning, we are closed for the day. I work for the state so maybe that is why it is a bit inconsistent..... who knows .... I am happy that I am home for the day with dd and getting pd for it.

Hope everyone else gets a snowday and enjoys being home.

PS- for me, a "ton" is anything over a foot! But I grew up in Canada so even a foot of snow just slows me down a bit, doesn't really keep me inside.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#10 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Lots and lots of rain here, on top of lots and lots of snow. Typical Nova Scotia. Someone told me once that the four seasons here are almost winter, winter, still winter and construction. Everyone is eagerly awaiting construction.
#11 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Thank you for stupid lovely snow.

Dd has a cold and it is freezing I am feeling a bit queasy...kind of like how you feel when you should probably just throw up cause it will probably make you feel better to get it out o your system. :/

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
There's 10-15 inches forcast for around here as well. I have a weird feeling that this babe will choose the height of the storm to decide to be born. We're not far from the hospital, but I've been mentally preparing for an unexpected UC just in case
You can do it, girl!!! : My youngest was UC.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 PM

I could handle another couple weeks of rain. It'd suck, but the alternative being forced water rationing this summer. We're already getting dinged on our water bills because we can't reduce usage an additional 20%. And they're saying that the farms that grow all the lovely local produce that we're famous for... are not going to be allowed to water their crops this summer. You think unemployment and food costs are both high now, wait until they start laying off farm workers and leaving fields fallow because there's no water.

But of course, they keep issuing building permits for new housing developments. :

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 17 Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I could handle another couple weeks of rain. It'd suck, but the alternative being forced water rationing this summer. We're already getting dinged on our water bills because we can't reduce usage an additional 20%. And they're saying that the farms that grow all the lovely local produce that we're famous for... are not going to be allowed to water their crops this summer. You think unemployment and food costs are both high now, wait until they start laying off farm workers and leaving fields fallow because there's no water.

But of course, they keep issuing building permits for new housing developments. :
Hrm.. Where do you live? The stupidity of it sounds like the California Valley.
#15 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Hrm.. Where do you live? The stupidity of it sounds like the California Valley.
Bingo!

All of CA, actually. Schwarzenegger declared a State of Emergency last week because of the current water crisis, even though we were in the middle of a string of storms. The cynic in me says it has more to do with the state of the budget than the state of the water supply.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Bingo!

All of CA, actually. Schwarzenegger declared a State of Emergency last week because of the current water crisis, even though we were in the middle of a string of storms. The cynic in me says it has more to do with the state of the budget than the state of the water supply.
Are you seriously freaking telling me they are saying farmers cannot irrigate their crops in the most fertile farm land in the freaknig US!!!??? I grew up in the central valley, Manteca to be exact. There were farms and fruit stands EVERYWHERE. It disgusts me to see all the farms covered in 2500 sq foot houses. It disgusts me that both my cousin and my brother live in the middle of what used to be almond orchards. It disgusts me that they took out Oakwood Lake to build million dollar homes in a flood plain.

There has always been a "water crisis" in Southern Cali, but not really in Northern Cali. We moved four years ago.. I remember a drought in the late 80's early 90's. Lawns had always been on water rationing. (even numbers can water on X day and odd numbers on X day.) but nothing TOO major. I bet you are right that it does have to do with the budget crisis. They can't pay the other states they buying the water from for S. Cali. so they are taking more from N. Cali. If they let food crops die because of this I will be really pissed. Think they have a budget crisis now???
#17 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 AM

http://www.calwatercrisis.org/problem.htm

I just read a bit on this site and I am pissed. Here is a novel idea. STOP BUILDING HOUSES!!! But of course.. the only thing towns and cities care about is the increased revenue from property and sales taxes. Oh I am pissed. I hate Manteca. I would not go back there if my life depended on it. But it is sad to see something I grew up with destroyed but out and out greed.

Oh yea.. and let the levees fail. That land is SUPPOSED TO FLOOD every once in awhile. It adds vital nutrients to the soil. That is WHY it is the most futile farm land in the US. Those houses don't belong there in the first place. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page