Do you complain about inadequate service? (its a long 'un) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 50 Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
As far as doctor's offices go, I'll give y'all my golden tip. Book your appt to be the first one in the morning or the first one after lunch and then you won't have to wait. What happens is they go over and are running late with other patients. If you get there when there haven't been any other patients, then you won't have to wait.
I used to do that. 9:30 appointment. She never showed up before at least 10. Which the staff admitted to me. And had no answer when I asked why the booked appointments that early.

Same with first after lunch, she just isn't there when she's supposed to be.

Yes, I need a new doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If the situation warrants it and I have time, I complain.

Mama, Artist, Mary Kay Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#33 of 50 Old 03-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
When you're next in line and someone cuts and the cashier says nothing? When someone cuts in front of me in line the cashier doesn't get the chance to say anything, lol. I'm all over the line-cutter. If they won't admit I was first, I still make sure I end up getting waited on first, even if I have to physically stand in their way to prevent them from continuing to check out. The store usually does something very quickly to remedy the situation when they realize they're about to have an actual fight on their hands.
I don't expect the cashier to really say anything, because I know it's a dicey thing for them with a customer. If I'm in the grocery store, they open a new line, it seems like the stores I'm in the cashier actually goes and gets the cart of the person they plan on helping. Or they open when I'm next in line and no one is behind me. If there are a bunch of people in different lines, I'm just happy they open more registers, even if I don't get to go next.

However, I've been in situations where they just helped the other person who just walked up while I was waiting at the counter, I will say something then. Not that long ago, I walked into a restaurant with my children, behind a couple and ahead of a pair of couples of young adults/teens. I smiled at the hostess as I walked in, and she looked behind me and asked the group of young people how many in their party. Then when she came back for me, there was a wait. I was so angry. I feel like people cut in front of me and get waited on first because of how people perceive me and my importance. I've been asked to wait when other people have come in after me, "so we can get this gentleman back to work" or what have you. I know there are a lot of reasons why a customer service person might do that, and I generally don't mind waiting, but if I really think it is a lack of respect issue, I end up saying something.
#34 of 50 Old 03-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I'm a better complainer now than I used to be. I lived in Ireland for a long time, people there seem to just take crap and not complain. In the US people are better about standing up for themselves. My DH is Israeli, they are champion complainers I've learned from him not to put up with bad service.

The worst was my dentist, who was always "running late" half an hour any time I had an appointment. One day, he had his receptionist call me and ask me to come in an hour early as they had a cancellation. I was then left to sit for AN HOUR in the waiting room. I think that is the only time I lost it and was less than civil when I complained. I tore him a new one, basically. He has taken my appointments on time since then. I really really resent the attitude that my time is worth less than my dentist's time. I work, too, and I have a schedule I rearranged to get there an hour early.
You know, my aunt was once charged by a dentist for canceling an appointment less than 24 hours before. A bit later, the dentist had to call her and reschedule her appointment because of a conflict, and my aunt literally sent him a bill for canceling within 24 hours, and HE PAID IT! She argued that her time was valuable as well.

That said, I used to work for a psychiatrist and often a patient would be having a crisis and needed extra time. Or we would get a call from a patient contemplating suicide and have to interrupt the current session. It sucks when you're the one waiting, but it is great when you're the patient in need. My current pediatrician, if he asked me to wait in the waiting room for an hour suspended upside down from the ceiling, I'd do it. He so totally rocks!

I have also worked in an internist's office, and believe it or not, some doctors are too nice to turn patients away or have them wait for a later appt. or one on a different day. "Oh, yeah, we'll squeeze you right in!" I worked for several docs like that.

Hair in the food? Unless it's a pube, I just pick it out and continue eating. I really don't like complaining about food. And we so rarely eat out...

Someone cuts in line? I comment on it to the person behind me, in a joking way, or to the person I'm with, or to the cashier when I get there. I have a bad temper, so these joking sessions save lives!

You know, generally if it's just affecting me, I let it go. If it's about my kids, I complain. If others are likely to suffer, I also complain. Like if I actually check expiration dates before buying something and notice it's expired, I don't just put the item back on the shelf, I say something to the manager so that no one else buys it.

I try to compliment as much as I complain, or more.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#35 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM

I do but I have a self imposed rule that I follow. For every time I complain about poor service I make sure to praise another person (usually I try to talk to their manager) for delivering good service.

My thought is that if you're willing to make negative remarks you should be equally willing to praise good service.

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
#36 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I got this far before I said, "Is this Ironica?" I scrolled back up and sure enough.
I did the exact same thing...thinking hmmmm this rant sounds really familiar....

:

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#37 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM

I've only complained one time that I remember. DH and I had lunch at a restaurant about 30 minutes from our house(national chain). At the time, DS was about 2 and we were dealing with peanut allergy and not willing to take him to restaurants. So, on their menu, there was a nice little paragraph about their awareness of food allergies and that they would make accomodations, speak to the chef etc. so we spoke to the waitress and the chef, both of whom were very nice and assured us that we could bring our son there with no worries.

Being thrilled to be able to take DS to a restaurant, we went back the next week. We were told they would not serve our son and asked to leave. I complained to the manager, the corporate office and everyone I could think of.
#38 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphine View Post
I've only complained one time that I remember. DH and I had lunch at a restaurant about 30 minutes from our house(national chain). At the time, DS was about 2 and we were dealing with peanut allergy and not willing to take him to restaurants. So, on their menu, there was a nice little paragraph about their awareness of food allergies and that they would make accomodations, speak to the chef etc. so we spoke to the waitress and the chef, both of whom were very nice and assured us that we could bring our son there with no worries.

Being thrilled to be able to take DS to a restaurant, we went back the next week. We were told they would not serve our son and asked to leave. I complained to the manager, the corporate office and everyone I could think of.
What was their reason for not serving him the following week?
#39 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 PM

They said they did not feel they could safely prepare his food. Which, in itself is understandable, and the reason we stayed away from restaurants with ds. What irked me was that they made a big deal about being "allergy aware" to the point that is was printed on their menu and the staff the previous week was very understanding and accomodating. Different chef, different comfort zone I guess.
#40 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphine View Post
They said they did not feel they could safely prepare his food. Which, in itself is understandable, and the reason we stayed away from restaurants with ds. What irked me was that they made a big deal about being "allergy aware" to the point that is was printed on their menu and the staff the previous week was very understanding and accomodating. Different chef, different comfort zone I guess.
That is just mean.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#41 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I rarely complain. Mostly because it never seems to go well for me.

I was grocery shopping recently, and had a coupon to get x store points when you spend $y there -- the more you spend, the higher a percentage you get in free groceries. I spent more than the highest amount, and I was sure to give the cashier the coupon before she started ringing up my groceries. I checked my receipt when I was done putting the groceries in my van, and I couldn't see that I received the store points. I went back in, and showed a cashier my receipt, and explained that I wanted to know if I received the points. I hadn't, and she said there is nothing they can do now, but I could keep my receipt and use it the next time I shop there, and get the points that way. Well, I had just finished a huge trip, stocking up on stuff for the next two months, and I wasn't planning on being back there before the coupon expired. She called a manager, and she took my receipt and card info and said that the store will transfer the points to my account, in a few days.

I realized later at home that I should have just bought a newspaper or some gum and had that be the next time I come to the store. And the points still aren't showing up in my account. :

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#42 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I kind of feel the same way, Brisen. I complained at Wild Oats, and I got this kind of lukewarm "well, what do you want me to do about it?" kind of reaction. It always seems like when I strengthen up my courage to voice a complaint, nothing happens anyway and I feel like a fool.

There is a store here that would keep track of your expenditure, and if you spent a certain amount by a specific date, you'd get a 5% off coupon, the a 10% off after another amount, and then 15% for even more, but I could never spend what they required, so I never got that one. So we had gotten our 5% off coupon and I was waiting for the 10% one. I went into the store, bought a couple of things and wasn't given the special receipt that showed how much I had left to spend, the cashier just threw it away distractedly, and I figured what the heck, I'll wait until next time. Sure enough, the next time I went in, it had reset and was telling me what I had to spend to get the 15% off coupon. So he basically kept my 10% off coupon, but when I complained, I didn't get a new one. It just irks me.
#43 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM

I complain if I think there's something that can be done, so usually at restaurants and stuff . . . though I'm more likely to write a letter.

I wrote an email to Outback after we had terrible service a few weeks ago (in addition to seeing that they raised prices and were serving smaller portions). We got a $25 coupon in the mail and a letter of apology yesterday. We used to go there a lot and will obviously give them another chance.

My mom complained at Applebees a few months ago, after several incidents of terrible service and received coupons for free appetizers or desserts or something like that . . . we'll use them for carry out because honestly, we haven't had good service there for the past several visits. And it's not been just bad, it's been disastrous.

You can complain and not be rude about it . . . though I think some people have trouble not crossing the line there.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#44 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I lived in Ireland for a long time, people there seem to just take crap and not complain.
LOL. I'm Irish, and unfortunately this is true of the majority of us. I thought we were terrible about complaining until I moved to the Czech Republic, where no one seems to complain, EVER!

I generally only complain if it's something fairly serious - like a mistake over money, or really poor service, or something that's actually wrong or dangerous.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#45 of 50 Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
LOL. I'm Irish, and unfortunately this is true of the majority of us. I thought we were terrible about complaining until I moved to the Czech Republic, where no one seems to complain, EVER!

I generally only complain if it's something fairly serious - like a mistake over money, or really poor service, or something that's actually wrong or dangerous.

Well I buck the stereotype then! I have friends, who if they have to complain, call it "doing an Irish", though they use my real name.
#46 of 50 Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Where on earth did you find a ped that makes house calls?!?! I have always felt that sickness wouldn't spreed as much/fast if doctors went back to house calls.
He's a very, very close family friend. I knew him when he was in med school. I know he does house calls for some other families as well, but they have to pay for his time (which is NOT cheap).

Unfortunately, doctors will never go back to house calls because they would only be able to see a tiny fraction of the patients they normally do (and thus make a tiny fraction of the money). My ped fully agrees that treating children in the comfort of their own homes is best, but ultimately impractical. He doesn't double-book and marks out his lunch hour, though, so there's minimal waiting and disease transmission in the waiting room. He really is great. He treats his patients like they're his own kids. (can you tell I love him?)

Quote:
You can complain and not be rude about it . . . though I think some people have trouble not crossing the line there.
Where's the 'guilty' smilie? I think the manager at my grocery store cringes just a little every time he sees my mini-bus in the parking lot . . .

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#47 of 50 Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 PM

I usually don't waste time complaining, managers don't care. I bash the company online when I get home, so that hopefully they feel it in their pocketbooks. In the same way I try to brag about companies that do have great service.

If you get pissy with phone service people, or even simply demand they answer your questions they just hang up on you. Heck I've even heard of local office people hanging up on people. That was stupid of them, cos it's only a 30-minute drive so I can BE THERE in their face with their manager. If it's a big deal I don't call anymore. I write letters. If I've got it in writing then I'm gonna hold them to it, which means I wait for them to contact me.

If all doctors scheduled appointments and KEPT them as well as my chiropractor, well just maybe I wouldn't mind going so badly.

Last time I went to a "regular doctor" I had to make an appointment like 2 months in advance. The receptionist called the day before the appt. I missed the call but I assumed it was to confirm my appointment. When I got there they told me I didn't even have an appointment!
O.o
So why did they call?
#48 of 50 Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 AM

I complain/ask for restitution relatively frequently. As long as it's done politely, most places are happy to help out. The key is to be factual, specific, calm and polite. The number of people who don't know how to complain effectively always surprises me. (My sister used to work taking calls for a major food company - she got the complaints about when something was found in the food or when people had allergy concerns - her stories are hysterical!)

For example, what do you do when you've been waiting at a doctor's office for 40 minutes past your appointment time with a sick 2 year old?

I go up to the front desk, remind them I've been waiting for 40 minutes (politely) and ask if they happen to know when the doctor will be available. Usually, they can give me an estimate. There have been times when I've had to say "If we can't in, I'll have to reschedule because I need to go pick up my other child." I only say this when it's true, and invariably, they'll get me in ASAP then. Only once have I had to leave and come back to after hours care.

When you find a hair in your dinner? Make darned sure it's not my hair, and then I'll point it out to the waitstaff. I actually had a fly in my soup (I kid you not) about a month ago, I pointed it out to the waiter, and he replaced it ASAP.

When a checkout clerk is rude to you because you have coupons?
I dunno, I've never had this happen. Or maybe I'm just oblivious. Unless they're in danger of breaking my eggs or are saying outright rude things, I guess I wouldn't notice.

When you're overcharged for an item or get home to see its past expiration?
Take it back, with my receipt. And ask for a the overcharge back or for a replacement.

When that new lotion you bought gives you a painful rash?
That one, I learn a painful lesson from and I don't buy it again. I can't tell you how many REALLY expensive sunblocks we've tried for dd! (As in $25/bottle kind.) We're still looking actually.

When you're next in line and someone cuts and the cashier says nothing?
I look the person directly in the eye and say "the back of the line is right there".

At the same time, if I'm at the store with my cart full of 2 weeks' worth of groceries and the person behind me has an apple and a bagel, I let them go first.

Quote:
I almost feel like it is my civic duty to run incompetence or apathy up the chain-of-command. The bad part is that many times I am shocked when the manager rolls out and continues with the rude behavior or escalates the problem as opposed to doing what managers all know they should do and just pretending to care what I have to say or that they give an eff when their employees are awful.
Maybe it's me or maybe it's where I live, but that rarely happens to me. When I'm polite and factual, with a specific (do-able) request, it usually gets granted.

I confess to not shopping at the cheapest grocery store around because I got tired of their fruit rotting the instant it got home, and it made me wonder about the quality/sanitation/handling of the other stuff there. So, the two stores I usually stop at have a vested interest in making their customer service really good.

I only shop at Target and Costco because I believe the Walmart empire is evil (and I have the option not to go there!) and their service is excellent.

My doctor is consistently 30-45 minutes behind, but I still go to him because he's a great doctor. The reason he's behind is because he takes the time to listen to you. I'm willing to wait for that. AND on the few occasions when I've REALLY needed to get in THAT day, he's been able to squeeze me in, so I'm grateful and understand he might have to do that for others. And now that I know his schedule, I just bring a lot of grading or reading to do and get it done. Our kids' doctor is pretty good about being on time and always apologizes if she's late.

As for banks, dh and I had a joint account at the credit union long before we were married (or even engaged I think) because his bank instituted a horrendous minimum balance for accounts (something like $1500) and paid NO interest. Dh was so incensed he closed his account. The only way he could get one at the credit union was through me. Since then, I've never banked at a bank, only credit unions.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#49 of 50 Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I kind of feel the same way, Brisen. I complained at Wild Oats, and I got this kind of lukewarm "well, what do you want me to do about it?" kind of reaction. It always seems like when I strengthen up my courage to voice a complaint, nothing happens anyway and I feel like a fool.
Ah... the key here is: Unless you have a specific something you want them to do, don't complain. Managers aren't going to volunteer a lot of stuff, but if you specifically say "I'd like my money back and I'd like to get a new one at no cost to me." they'll either say "OK" or say "well, I can give you your money back and a 10% discount on the new one." or something like that.

About a year ago, I was taking an airplane trip with our 2 kids to a family reunion. Dh was in the hospital with mono (he told me to go, really!) and our car was in the shop. A friend gave me a ride to the airport. We got there and found out that the flight had been canceled. The kids and I were absolutely last in line, but had been waiting patiently. I had explained several times to my kids that the workers were doing the best they could and would help us as soon as it was our turn.

When it was finally our turn, the airline employee booked us a new flight, and the only possible one was the next day. She asked me if I was local and if I could come back tomorrow. I just looked at her and said "yes, we're local, but my husband's in the hospital, our car is in the shop, and there is no way we can go home right now." She booked us overnight at a hotel, with meals! She wasn't technically supposed to do that, but I could tell that she appreciated my not yelling at her, my politely trying to keep the kids under control, AND that I was truly desperate.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#50 of 50 Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
Unfortunately, doctors will never go back to house calls because they would only be able to see a tiny fraction of the patients they normally do (and thus make a tiny fraction of the money).
I don't use them, but there's a practice in our area who make housecalls. They're a sponsor on NPR so I hear about them all the time. Their practice is just called Doctors Making Housecalls.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page