Hijab 101 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't reinforce it by answering things off forum!

I, too, want to know if it is typical for muslim families to co-sleep. I suspect that is a cultural thing, not related to religion, but I'm not sure.

I love this thread, I've learned alot, I'd like for it to keep it's educational tone and keep informing those of us who wish to learn a little bit about another religion and culture.

Thanks, Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Great, informative thread, Mahdokht! I am not Muslim, but my dh and his family are (mainly Shi'a, although my MIL is Sunni). We co-sleep, and my dh's parents co-slept with their children until they were each about 2 (they had 8 kids--that would have been a HUGE family bed! :LOL ). I'm not aware of any religious reason in Islam for avoiding co-sleeping.

But back to the thread's topic--I'd like to point out (not in a snarky way at all--just to share information) that not all Muslims believe the hijab is mandatory, and a great many do not cover, and still practice the 5 pillars of Islam.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:39 PM

I know this is an old thread but I got pointed to it today and after having read it I have some questions of my own.

I read the entire thread and clicked on all the links. I went to this one here and clicked on everything and read the descriptions the site provided. So I think I understand what all those are. But how come it doesn't have a burka? I found this one here when I did a search for some Muslim related information. I love the color of that but to be honest (and please don't flame me) it looks horrific! It looks scary and I'm sad for the woman behind it. I do not know anything about Muslim except for what I have read here and no one has mentioned them. Are they not common anymore? Should I feel sad for her? Sorry if any of that is offensive but I don't know how else to word it.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZVudu
Okay, am I the only non-Muslim, non-Jewish gal here who sometimes wishes she had a reason to wear a headcovering?

I know Catholic women (like me) were once expected to cover their heads when they went to Mass, but practically nobody does that anymore. I think headscarves are so beautiful and feminine...just wanted to let y'all Muslim and Orthodox Jewish gals know that, contrary to thinking headcoverings are oppressive, some of us Western Christian ladies are even jealous of them!

:
Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 AM

Very informative!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boys4us
I'd like to cut in on this one - I come from an Indian family and have an equal number of cousins who were arranged and non-arranged in marriage. Arranged marriages are not that uncommon in many non-western cultures. And yes, in very strict Hindu marriages they may not meet until the actual marriage day _(although that is becoming very uncommon esp. among the educated ).

Hindu women also cover their heads - and Indian muslim women sometimes go uncovered.
Just to elaborate, Hinduism is very diverse and some sects do hav women who cover their hair while others do not. I have noticed that many will take the pallu (tail end) of the sari and drape it over their heads out of modesty, but they do not tie fabric around their hair to competely hide it, at least not that I have seen in my trips to India. In fact the end of the long braid can be seen hanging down their backs.

In dh's family, it is about half arranged and half love marriages in his generation. The previous generation was all arranged marriages.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List