Help!!! What did my dh just see in the basement??? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post

do you have a cat? can you get a cat? i just read the post above about the cat who caught a rat. i wonder if the poster would have been better off to just leave the cat to take care of the rat, rather than trying to get it herself.
It there was just one rat, then getting a cat might be a good idea. If it is a matter of more than one rat, a cat is NOT a good idea. It will just get eaten. You will find little kitty bones. Seriously.

I read this great book a couple of years ago called Rats: A year with New York's most unwanted inhabitants, and it specifically said NOT to get a cat if there was a rat infestation. A cat can't handle it.

http://www.amazon.com/Rats-Year-York...9365646&sr=8-6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
It there was just one rat, then getting a cat might be a good idea. If it is a matter of more than one rat, a cat is NOT a good idea. It will just get eaten. You will find little kitty bones. Seriously.

I read this great book a couple of years ago called Rats: A year with New York's most unwanted inhabitants, and it specifically said NOT to get a cat if there was a rat infestation. A cat can't handle it.

http://www.amazon.com/Rats-Year-York...9365646&sr=8-6
Tha'ts horrible.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:46 PM

I would NEVER leave my cat to deal with a rat. Or a mouse. She is incredibly cruel to them. She doesn't physically harm them at all - she just plays with them until they escape - usually to behind to fridge or something, where they die from heart failure or starvation or something and then they decompose and stink and it's gross all over. I remove rodents from my cat's care immediately - hence the jumping rat story... however horrible it was, it was better than her gently carrying the thing upstairs.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 AM

what was it? inquiring minds want to know!!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 AM

This thread is hilarious. :

One of my favourite parts is the OP getting reprimanded mom-style for considering employing the ignore-it-and-it'll-go-away technique which I would have totally considered but probably not posted about for fear of just such a lambasting.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

OP here.

Haven't heard anything since. We dog-sat for a week, not sure if that had any impact.
I have a theory about what happened;

Our neighbours do not use their basement at all throughout the winter, it is unfinished & used for storage. I think the mouse (or whatever creature) was wintering in their basement, came outside when it warmed up, freaked out when it went back down to freezing, lost its way, and was squatting in our basement. Now it's warm again, so it left.

And yes, the theory lines up nicely with my tendency to pursue the path of least resistance/action

Mama to my 2 boys
Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Thank God, we got some closure.

User Tag List