easter bunny questions - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This year, EB filled a basket with little toys, some organic jelly beans, and a few plastic eggs with things like crackers, fruit leather, temporary tattoos and some new socks. He is leaving it on the kitchen table for DS to "discover" at breakfast time. I wanted to do an egg hunt with him, but my house is a total disaster right now, and I also have to work at church tomorrow from 8:30-12:30 so we really don't have much time to do much more than check out the basket of goodies. DS is only just 2 though, so I am thinking next year will be a much bigger deal.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
This year we aren't having any actual baskets; I don't need one more thing in our house that I then have to feel guilty about disposing of or have to look at lurking in my kids' rooms forever.
The Easter Bunny is putting the kids stuff in laundry baskets the Easter Bunny just bought! Some how S/he knows that the Mama in this house NEEDS a small laundry basket or 2 to cart clothes up and down stairs to where our closets/dressers are AND to take wet clothes to the dryer or outside to hang up. Boy that Easter Bunny is one smart cookie.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
This year we aren't having any actual baskets; I don't need one more thing in our house that I then have to feel guilty about disposing of or have to look at lurking in my kids' rooms forever.
I know the feeling. DH and I have started keeping the baskets in the hall closet, with the Christmas decorations.

I used to put the baskets out in the morning, in plain sight. Over the last few years, dh and I have started getting out the baskets and putting the grass in the night before (just did that), and leaving them out like a stocking. I think that started when dd spotted the Easter grass in my shopping bag a couple years ago...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-12-2009, 02:45 AM

Well, this year our kids' baskets were in storage (we moved recently) and we forgot to get them in time for Easter, so we improvised a bit. One thing led to another, and I ended up coming up with this very intricate scavenger hunt, whereby they would be led from one "gift" to another. With each little gift was an egg. On the outside of the egg, it gave them something they had to do before they could open the egg (draw a picture of a bunny, play Hot Cross Buns on the piano, make an Easter egg out of the play-doh they were receiving, plant a pumpkin/watermelon seed they were receiving, et cetera...), and inside the egg it would tell them where to go next (i.e., "Look in the mailbox," or "Look in your carseat," or "Look in the piano bench"). It got a bit out-of-hand...I hope they'll enjoy it and that it won't be entirely lost on them (they're only 2 and 4--but the 2-year-old's "tasks" are things like "do a somersault" or "make an easter egg out of play-doh." She can't play Hot Cross Buns on the piano, anyway ).

As for the eggs, my daughter has a severe egg allergy, so we went with plastic eggs (we also hid some sidewalk chalk eggs). It's not that she couldn't participate in dying eggs, but we would have probably just thrown them out, anyway, since she can't have them.

The eggs primarily contain Chuck E. Cheese tokens, because we're going out to visit my in-laws next weekend, and they had told us that they wanted to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese while we're there. We got a coupon online for 100 tokens for $10, and another coupon for a large pizza with 4 drinks for $18.99, so we bought the tokens for $10 and split them up into the majority of the eggs, and then one egg contains the coupon and a 20-dollar bill--so whichever kid finds that egg can "treat" the other kid and his or her grandparents to Chuck E. Cheese.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 AM

We don't do baskets at our house. We dye eggs and the kids hunt for them + 1 plastic egg each with a chocolate egg and some jelly beans inside.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 AM

This year were trying something new...so i'll let you know if it turned out good!!
The Easter bunny leaves a basket in front of the door, the basket has 1 or 2 expensive truffles. Then they go looking for Loonies (canadian dollar) That the EB hid all over the house. Each girl has 25 bucks to find.
Then the money they collect, they can choose where they want to go to spend it. Probably for the water park at a hotel with a theme room...orr just add it to the savings for an airplane holiday!
So we practice counting and money managment!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post
Are baskets hidden or set out in plain view?
Is the egg hunt comprised of hard boiled/colored eggs or plastic eggs with surprises inside or a combination of the two?
I question this every year. I kind of want to hide the baskets, but then I feel like I need to come up with clever clues that show that they are hidden and not just non-existent. My parents used to put the hardboiled eggs in the basket, and I've done that in years past.

I bought nice baskets a few years ago that had cloth liners. I don't believe in Easter grass...it is evil and is not allowed in my house! Well, the baskets got taken out of storage and generally played with, used as temporary homes for gerbils and such, so this year I just bought some cheap bamboo baskets that were on sale, and some paper grass. That's only the spawn of Satan, not Satan himself, but everyone needs a little Lucifer, right?

They each dyed almost a dozen eggs each. I'm not sure if I should hide the eggs in the house tonight, or organize an egg hunt outside tomorrow after church. I think I might put a few of the hard cooked eggs in their baskets as well.

I bought too much candy. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:10 AM

We used to leave them in plain view, but this year we hid them. We have 5 plastic eggs, each with a clue in it to find the next one, to lead them to their basket.

We did this for several reasons: Ds2 will often wake up early, but then toddle into bed with us and fall back asleep, and sleep much later than ds1. If they saw those baskets first thing, no more sleep would happen and he'd be tired. Also, we thought it might be nice to get them to eat something before the sugar rush starts. We don't buy tons of candy, but there is some in there. And then third, we thought a treasure hunt would be fun.

Oh, and we do an easter egg hunt later as well. This year we're just doing dyed eggs. We used to do a mixture of both real and plastic, but I got tired of trying to find things small enough to fit in the eggs that were neither candy or cheap plastic pieces of crap. Putting cheddar bunnies or walnuts in there only worked for so long.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM

The easter bilby didn't get to far this year and left them in a tidy pile on the small table in my room, he saw them straight away when he woke up
Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I left the basket sitting on a chair in the livingroom. DS spotted an egg on his way downstairs this morning and got focused on finding the eggs that he didn't even notice the basket for about half an hour Good thing I didn't hide it!

Easter is a weird holiday. DS has asked me why the EB brought him stuff and hid eggs- and I have no idea what to tell him. I actually told him I don't know.:

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM

DH had almost convinced me last night NOT to hide eggs, but we did anyways, I am SO glad DS loved it! (he is almost 3) he thought it was hilarious, but took finding the eggs very seriously.

good relaxing day over here, smoothies and bunny bread (coffee cake) for breakfast.

We'll have a roast and mashed potatoes tonight if I ever get up and get it started!!

How are your easters turning out?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I left the basket sitting on a chair in the livingroom. DS spotted an egg on his way downstairs this morning and got focused on finding the eggs that he didn't even notice the basket for about half an hour Good thing I didn't hide it!

Easter is a weird holiday. DS has asked me why the EB brought him stuff and hid eggs- and I have no idea what to tell him. I actually told him I don't know.:
I got a chuckle out of that. Mine hasn't asked yet, but I'll be in the same boat soon enuf. Now that you got me thinking about it, I guess I'll do a welcoming spring story. Do you like that idea?

Well our kids are 3 and 18 months. So this year was simple. We hid the plastic eggs and just had their Easter buckets to put them in. We did not do anything else in the buckets this year. I'm torn as what to do. I want to limit the candy, but hate the idea of buying a bunch of junk either. Although I think some ppl here had great ideas of stuff to get. Also both my childrens birthdays are at the end of the year and I always feel guilty that they don't get a middle of the year celebration with some new toys (for their sake and mine). So Easter, although not the middle of the year, might be a good excuse to get a few new and needed things.
Gosh I never knew holidays and creating traditions was going to be so hard to figure and a decide what to do and a little stressful..
The whole is the Easter bunny real? Do we do candy or not, toys or not?
You know what I mean...

I still enjoy it though and really I am having fun figuring it all out.
Nothing is set in stone yet.

Happy Easter everyone!!:

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
I got a chuckle out of that. Mine hasn't asked yet, but I'll be in the same boat soon enuf. Now that you got me thinking about it, I guess I'll do a welcoming spring story. Do you like that idea?

Well our kids are 3 and 18 months. So this year was simple. We hid the plastic eggs and just had their Easter buckets to put them in. We did not do anything else in the buckets this year. I'm torn as what to do. I want to limit the candy, but hate the idea of buying a bunch of junk either. Although I think some ppl here had great ideas of stuff to get. Also both my childrens birthdays are at the end of the year and I always feel guilty that they don't get a middle of the year celebration with some new toys (for their sake and mine). So Easter, although not the middle of the year, might be a good excuse to get a few new and needed things.
Gosh I never knew holidays and creating traditions was going to be so hard to figure and a decide what to do and a little stressful..
The whole is the Easter bunny real? Do we do candy or not, toys or not?
You know what I mean...

I still enjoy it though and really I am having fun figuring it all out.
Nothing is set in stone yet.

Happy Easter everyone!!:

I agree that figuring it out is fun I like the welcome spring idea but need to figure out how to relate it to Easter stories. I just came from church and the sermon was about the story of Jesus and how we celebrate challenging the norm and fighting for justice, freedom and equality... (it's a UU church) So I still need to figure out how the easter bunny fits into it all. Maybe I will just tell him that we do the easter bunny stuff because at 3, he's already a bit skeptical.

As for easter goodies, DS got a little candy (choc bunny and peeps) and then a stuffed bunny, a couple toy cars, a game and a couple little toys from stubbypencilstudios.com I felt like it wasn't enough though; DS was pleased though!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 AM

The easter bunny hides the eggs we all dyed together.. there was an added surprise this year since my 5yo announced that the cat "must" have eaten all the eggs.. which set the 4yo to crying crocodile tears.. but alas, when the eggs were counted, they were all there.. we aren't sure why the bunny breaks and enters, hides baskets and eggs all around the house, and we really aren't sure why a rabbit would be interested in eggs of all things anyway, since a rabbit is a mammal and chickens are not.. so the consensus is, the rabbit needs psychiatric help, but if hiding eggs once a year makes him feel better, then that's fine.

By the way, there are bunnies in our neighborhood. We haven't seen them out and about yet this spring, but I think there were between 5-10 last summer, so we are hoping they come out soon.. if they didn't end up on someone's holiday table or something..
Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 PM

I make up a basket for H and DS and they are set out on the table along with a small gift for DS. H gets the candy that he enjoys along with a couple of pairs of socks and plastic eggs with jelly beans inside.

DS's basket was similiar with a little bit of candy, same candy inside plastic eggs, three books, watering can, bubbles, his very own 'green' shopping bag.

The egg hunt was outside with plastic eggs, but it wasn't at our house, it was at my H's grandmother's retirement community. DS racked up.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Oh, yeah - the Easter Bunny doesn't hide the eggs here. DH and I hide them, and then the kids find them. I've always felt a bit weird about having the eggs sitting out all night, so we don't do it that way.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
DP and I were talking about this yesterday. I'm sure there is some history behind the reason of a rabbit hiding eggs but we couldn't come up with anything. I think an Easter chick would be more fitting. Anyone know why the tradition is what it currently is?

\m/

Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM

The Easter bunny leaves the baskets on our fireplace hearth. He also recycles our baskets, so each year I collect them after the kids have them in their rooms for a few weeks (eating their candy slowly), and I put them up till the next year. I bring out the baskets (empty) each Easter Eve, and leave them on the hearth for the E.B. to fill. This takes care of having to buy new baskets each year.

I am happy to have the E.B. He is a fun guy, and has given me lots of lovely memories of my kids happy faces on Easter morning. Even my 15 year old was grinning yesterday as he saw the E.B. gave him the new edition of "Mad Classics" as well as his favorite wax bottles (the kind with the liquid inside) and peach gummy rings. The boy likes weird candies!

: I love being a mom and doing this kind of stuff for my kids. I always fill their baskets with some chocolates, random favorite candies, a magazine, and sometimes small toys. We do the egg hiding with my parents at an earlier date, and they fill the eggs with money and candy.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
Here's how we're doing it:

DD will leave her basket of eggs (hard-boiled and dyed) by the door before she goes to bed tonight. The Easter bunny is going to fill her basket with treats and stuff and hide the eggs around the house. I have no idea how DH & I decided on this method- I think we just pieced together bits from our own childhoods.
Oh, I like the "setting out eggs for the EB" idea!

This year for our 2-year-old, we just set out an easter basket with hair clips (she lost most of hers over time), sidewalk chalk (for our first house's driveway! we close in a month!), colored pencils, and a stuffed sheep (she loves sheep). Plus candy for the adults, lol, so I guess it was technically a family basket. Then we set 6 plastic eggs around the living room in plain sight, which worked out well because she "got it". I don't know if she would have if they were actually hidden.

I would have liked to dye eggs, but I don't want to leave eggs out all night, even though my parents did when we were growing up and they were just fine. Maybe we will when she's older.

Also, I bought 30 plastic eggs in pastel colors, and when we have more children, each child will have their own color(s) during the hunt. I'm going to do this because when I was little, I was always getting upset because my brothers always found the eggs before I could! It wasn't fun. This way nobody has to worry about "losing".

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

User Tag List