twitter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never 'done' twitter. but people keep inviting me to follow them. can someone please explain it to me? what is it? what does it look like? are peoples twitters intertwined??

I'm an avid facebooker and i think facebook and twitter have somehow connected......?????

sigh....i really don't need another internet time suck, but i figured i could at least find out more info about it.

TIA
#2 of 50 Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2HAroA12w
#3 of 50 Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Just get an account (twitter.com). You can follow people & people will follow you if they know you/think your "tweets" are interesting (& not protected on the public time line). You can't direct message people unless they're following you. You can direct reply to people publicly, though & if they're following your (or your tweets are public) they can see those. You can only post 140 characters at a time.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 50 Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 AM

it seems pretty pointless to me

but aparently it's "all the rage" to some people
#5 of 50 Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixia View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! I love that!
I use MySpace. I'm on Facebook but I hardly use it. I don't understand Twitter at all. I never change my status message thingy on MS and FB, and it seems like that's all Twitter is. I totally don't get obsessively announcing what you're doing.
#6 of 50 Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 AM

It's not just changing a status message like on FB or MS. It's microblogging. Some of the cool ppl I follow are Brent Spiner, Kevin Rose (founder of Digg.com), LeVar Burton, Gregg Grunberg (Matt Parkman on Heroes), and other celebs. Then I follow a lawyer who does a lot of pro-bf stuff, a few MDC'ers, and LOTS of SN ppl.

They all have something interesting to say, imo. Maybe not every tweet rocks my sock but it's fun.

I actually managed to connect w/ a childhood friend via FB & then on Twitter, I've found other ppl w/ CFS, and even random folks who follow me out of the blue and I follow back just because they look like they'd have interesting stuff to share.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#7 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Most of my twitter posts are sent when I'm riding in a car or waiting in line. I sometimes read my friends' posts at my computer but most of the time I'm just doing things from my phone. It's time that would otherwise be wasted.

Mom to (5) (9)
#8 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
It's not just changing a status message like on FB or MS. It's microblogging. Some of the cool ppl I follow are Brent Spiner, Kevin Rose (founder of Digg.com), LeVar Burton, Gregg Grunberg (Matt Parkman on Heroes), and other celebs. Then I follow a lawyer who does a lot of pro-bf stuff, a few MDC'ers, and LOTS of SN ppl.

They all have something interesting to say, imo. Maybe not every tweet rocks my sock but it's fun.

I actually managed to connect w/ a childhood friend via FB & then on Twitter, I've found other ppl w/ CFS, and even random folks who follow me out of the blue and I follow back just because they look like they'd have interesting stuff to share.
That's what I use it for too. I "follow" several actors (which is cool because sometimes I get show spoilers and info about different charity events), a couple of authors, some podcatsters whose shows I listen to.
#9 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM

I hardly ever remember to check my twitter page. I've finally gotten into facebook though.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#10 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixia View Post
You are my hero.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#11 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure if I really get Twitter, but I have an account. You can enter more text in a Facebook status message than you can in a Twitter one, so you have to pick your words carefully. It does count down the characters as you are typing them, which is nice. My sister just made a huge post in her Facebook status update. it was like a blog entry.

I tweet, but no one responds to them, so I don't know if anyone reads them or not.
#12 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 PM

#13 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStarMom View Post
I totally don't get obsessively announcing what you're doing.
: thats all ive seen people do that ive read, LOL. i totally dont get it nor how exactly it works. like why i was reading something and there were random conversations from other people thrown in the middle? : and my internet hates videos so if the link helps it wont help me any. im just doomed to be confused lol
#14 of 50 Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have noticed that all the people who used Facebook to update their status eleventybillion times a day (and never comment on anyone else) have all moved on to Twitter.
#15 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I have noticed that all the people who used Facebook to update their status eleventybillion times a day (and never comment on anyone else) have all moved on to Twitter.
So its for narcissists?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#16 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing, too.
#17 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
And, thank god for that.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#18 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I hardly ever remember to check my twitter page. I've finally gotten into facebook though.
Yeah, I follow you, but you never update.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#19 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Your twitter account can tie in w/ your FB account (and vice versa) and MANY ppl have that option.

#20 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 AM

The people I had on face book that use twitter to change their status eleventybillion times a day have been blocked from my feed. Man that is annoying. I don't want to know your every move. And I really don't care that your husband sneezed.
#21 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
That's funny, most of what I do is make comments on other people's facebook statuses, even if I don't know them that well. Then sometimes my friends will comment to each other on one of my status updates and I'll all, whoa, worlds colliding, danger, danger, but it always works out OK. I'm sure people are all who the heck is this person making these stupid comments on my facebook, but I figure what the heck, they'll block me if they don't like it.
#22 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM

It's a good business tool, and fun to use if you have enough friends on it. It's a good way to spread the word about something because it's a huge web. If you tweet something and you have a few hundred followers, then five out of those few hundred followers retweet to all of their few hundred followers, you reach a lot of people. So, if you're a business owner, especially with a web-based business, it's silly to not be using twitter. As far as the people who obsessively tweet every little thing they do all day, they're not really using it properly if they're not replying to and retweeting others' tweets. It's about interaction. It won't be useful for someone who is not willing to interact.
#23 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM

By the way, I feel like the Ambassador of Twitter. I find myself defending it left and right on different messages boards.
#24 of 50 Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Well I think it can be great, funny, and also a mindless tool for the obsessive updaters.

What's the basic etiquette? Are you supposed to follow people who follow you? Or only if you feel like it? What if you get people following you who you don't even know? I don't even quite get the reply thing or how to read all the "@blahblahblah" quotes in peoples twitter feeds, but then I haven't tried hard to figure it out.

I think for people who like to blab in written form and type it can be a witty form of expression and funny to read as well. Though having said that, I have to even fight the urge to over update b/c I know no one really cares. I think it's a natural inclination sometimes. I follow some parenting stuff, a few bloggers for comic relief, a musician, and my old preschool friend I haven't seen in 30 years. It's an odd little assembly of people. I know of now irl friends on it.
#25 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 AM

Why are you only allowed to post 140 characters? That's weird. I'm surprised it's so popular considering how limited that is.

I know someone on Facebook who constantly updates his status for every mundane thing he does and I wish he would move to twitter. I don't know what makes him think anyone could possibly be interested in "eating breakfast now," "making lunch now," "waiting for my partner to come home now," "getting hungry for dinner now," "watching such-n-such TV show now," "getting ready for bed now," "going to bed now," repeat, repeat, repeat, day in and day out.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#26 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I'm not sure if I really get Twitter, but I have an account. You can enter more text in a Facebook status message than you can in a Twitter one, so you have to pick your words carefully. It does count down the characters as you are typing them, which is nice. My sister just made a huge post in her Facebook status update. it was like a blog entry.

I tweet, but no one responds to them, so I don't know if anyone reads them or not.
i read yours! when you tweet.

i think sometimes people can overtweet, but a lot of times it's things like sharing cool links or pictures or something funny. it's not just like, "oh, i brushed my teeth."
#27 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
What's the basic etiquette? Are you supposed to follow people who follow you? Or only if you feel like it? What if you get people following you who you don't even know? I don't even quite get the reply thing or how to read all the "@blahblahblah" quotes in peoples twitter feeds, but then I haven't tried hard to figure it out.
You don't have to follow everyone that follows you, definitely not! I don't. There are friend collectors on there, like there are on MySpace, FB, etc.

If people are following you that you don't know you can either ignore them or block them. I ignore them. You should either be not posting anything too personal or you should lock your updates so that people have to request to follow. If your updates are unlocked and anyone can follow, you shouldn't be posting anything too personal anyway, right?

I only block people if they are obviously spammers. You can tell because they have stupid names like Jessy58685 and you go to their page and all their tweets have been links to buy pills or watch a cam show.

The @ replies, you may want to make sure your settings are to only show @ replies to people you follow as well. It's an option in settings. That way, you won't see peoples replies to people you don't even know.

I love Twitter. The first time I heard of it, I didn't "get it". I made an account and never used it. But I "get it" now. I love it! I can find out the most interesting little bits of info. And just share what I'm doing and find out what my friends are up to w/o having a long conversation. Those that have time or inclination for a real conversation, more power to you. But sometimes I just want 140 characters...

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#28 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I usually follow the people who follow me, but not always. If you're using the web interface, you can click the '@yourname' to see anything that's been directed to you.

I tweeted my UC labour. That was kind of fun. Wish I'd had some way to continue once I got in the birth pool, but I was pretty much near/in transition by that point.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#29 of 50 Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
I tweeted my UC labour. That was kind of fun. Wish I'd had some way to continue once I got in the birth pool, but I was pretty much near/in transition by that point.
That ROCKS!! :

If I'd had a twitter acct in Nov 2007 I'd have tweeted about my UC!

#30 of 50 Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 AM

so, forgive my ignorance...

but, do you get text messages? or, it's just a webpage that's updated like facebook is? do you get emails?

i guess i just don't get the actual mechanism of getting the message from someone.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page