who knew I was so controversial? In what ways are you controversial? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't feel very controversial, but at one time or another the following has caused some controversy in my life:

~I am an ethical vegan raising a vegan babe
~I am an animal rights activist with an occupation as a zookeeper
~I bf'd until ds was 2 (he weaned), don't circ, cloth diaper, never owned a stroller, co-slept, delay-selective vax, and practice getle dicipline along with other "crazy" parenting choices
~I don't shave my arm pits
~I'm vocal about equality
~I'm pro-choice
~I have several visible tattoos and piercings

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#92 of 100 Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 AM

This is an interesting topic!

I am controversial because

~We will not send our son in for elective ear tube surgery just because his cousins are well ahead of him with language skills :
~We cloth diapered, extended breastfed and formula fed
~We coslept and still cosleep
~I NIPed my son when he was an infant
~We are not Republicans or Democrats.
~We are very very very Catholic
~We prefer not to eat foods that contain soy, prepackaged foods, and corn syrup of any kind
~We use NFP (sympto-thermal method)
~We are intactivists
~I'm a pro-life feminist
~We are leaning toward homeschooling(this has caused the most controversy in our families)
~We don't have cable (for some reason this is a big deal to some family members )
~We selectively vax on a delayed schedule and don't treat a doctor's word as God's Word. (for some reason this makes us irresponsible and arrogant )

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#93 of 100 Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Well, we have the usual list of suspects... midwifery care, homebirth, no-drug births (except I did transport once for pain relief), no routine ultrasounds, exclusive/full-term/tandem/in-public breastfeeding, no vaxxes, cloth diapers, wear my babies, bedshare, no cio.

We also don't do pacies, very rarely do babysitters, and I am a full-time SAHM.

We are theologically conservative and our beliefs are controversial even among mainstream Christians.

We homeschool, but we don't do school at home. We are just trying to live life together and help our little ones along the way.

We try to do whole foods and limit our consumption of junk/processed foods. We aren't big on the organic label but will pay extra for those growers who treat their employees and animals with more respect.

We don't do Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy.

We vote 3rd party and have an equal disdain for Democrats and Republicans alike.

We think most laws should be discarded. We don't really care what Eminem is saying on his album and have no plans of lobbying Washington to try to make him play nice.

We are prolife and quiverful. We have 5 children so far.

We don't agree with everything MDC stands for. But we won't say what because we like hanging out here.

And why I am talking in the plural???

#94 of 100 Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Fruitfulmama, I think there are a lot of people here who don't agree with everything MDC stands for. I know there are things that I don't agree with and things DH doesn't agree with.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#95 of 100 Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
We vote 3rd party and have an equal disdain for Democrats and Republicans alike.

We think most laws should be discarded. We don't really care what Eminem is saying on his album and have no plans of lobbying Washington to try to make him play nice.
Me too Me too!!

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#96 of 100 Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM

I actually think my most controversial decision, among crunchy and noncrunchy parents alike, is keeping my kids TV-free. Nothing else I do, with the possible exception of vegetarianism, makes people so weird, defensive and argumentative.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#97 of 100 Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I eat raw animal foods (ie raw meat, fish, dairy etc) - my children also eat raw animal foods (one will not eat raw meat though).
We don't live our life via the germ theory of disease, in fact, I believe all disease is a purposeful special biological program that is always initiated by a emotional shock (exception being injury, poisoning and malnutrition). I actually totally believe in the work of Dr Ryke Gerd Hamer.
I am a conspiracy theorist and proud of it.

Then there are what I consider the less controversial:

UC'ed
extended breast feeding
babywearing
co-sleeping
no circ
no CIO
no vax
no allopathic medicine (obvious because of my above beliefs and the fact DH is in the alternative health field)

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#98 of 100 Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
I am for smokers rights even though I don't smoke.
When I first read this the other day, I was : as I tried to figure out what this might mean. But today, I think I understand.

My dh smokes cigarettes. He has for as long as I have known him and probably since before he was even in this country (a long long time). He has NEVER smoked in the house, or our car. I have asthma, but has been very careful of his smoking even before that.

Anyway, we were at an outdoor park today. My dh went over by the porta potties to smoke after lunch. A daycare staff member on the other side of the park started getting her kids to chant that my dp was going to give them cancer due to Second Hand Smoke. When did the Surgeon General EVER state that one could get SHS from being outdoors I ask you? Anyway, it was harrassment, and she was teaching those kids how to bully. I was :

And now I know a little about smokers rights I think. Up here it is illegal to smoke inside buildings that are open to the public (including bars), but the "outdoors" are not limited in this way.

BTW: I have read quite a few comments on this thread about sushi. Let me just say that sushi can come in a variety of types. Not all include raw fish (in fact, I don't think I have eaten very many with raw fish- most of them are veggie). I am pretty sure that sushi is defined as food rolled with rice. The cucumber ones are quite delicious. Sashimi is the word for thinly cut raw fish. So one can avoid raw fish, but still enjoy sushi. I hate that sushi gets such a bad rap. Seriously they are a finger food that can be quite delicious- and pretty healthy I think.

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vegetarian_Sushi
#99 of 100 Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
When I first read this the other day, I was : as I tried to figure out what this might mean. But today, I think I understand.

My dh smokes cigarettes. He has for as long as I have known him and probably since before he was even in this country (a long long time). He has NEVER smoked in the house, or our car. I have asthma, but has been very careful of his smoking even before that.

Anyway, we were at an outdoor park today. My dh went over by the porta potties to smoke after lunch. A daycare staff member on the other side of the park started getting her kids to chant that my dp was going to give them cancer due to Second Hand Smoke. When did the Surgeon General EVER state that one could get SHS from being outdoors I ask you? Anyway, it was harrassment, and she was teaching those kids how to bully. I was :

And now I know a little about smokers rights I think. Up here it is illegal to smoke inside buildings that are open to the public (including bars), but the "outdoors" are not limited in this way.

BTW: I have read quite a few comments on this thread about sushi. Let me just say that sushi can come in a variety of types. Not all include raw fish (in fact, I don't think I have eaten very many with raw fish- most of them are veggie). I am pretty sure that sushi is defined as food rolled with rice. The cucumber ones are quite delicious. Sashimi is the word for thinly cut raw fish. So one can avoid raw fish, but still enjoy sushi. I hate that sushi gets such a bad rap. Seriously they are a finger food that can be quite delicious- and pretty healthy I think.

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vegetarian_Sushi
I'm big on smokers rights too, partially because I'm a smoker.

And your right about the sushi. Only thing you need for it to be sushi is sushi rice (vinager rice). Everything else is optional. With raw fish it's nigirizushi, a type of sushi.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#100 of 100 Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM

aww now I want sushi and a smoke I love sushi and lovingly fed nigiri sushi to my child in utero. Now I would take him to a sushi place and let him have whatever he wants. Which would probably be whatever is on my plate! Funny note about raw fish and pregnancy: the Itameas (sushi chefs) don't give you any wierd looks when you waddle in there, hugely prego. Until you are 42 weeks and look like you're ready to give birth to a baby elephant. Then they want to make sure you are ok.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page