Correlation between tipping well and having a service job background? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have you worked a service job, and how well do you tip?
I HAVE worked a service job, and I tip less than 15% 6 3.70%
I HAVE worked a service job, and I tip at least 15% 81 50.00%
I have NOT worked a service job, and I tip less than 15% 2 1.23%
I have NOT worked a service job, and I tip at least 15% 60 37.04%
Other 13 8.02%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
I have not worked as waitstaff. My standard tip is 20 percent. If the service is poor but not awful (drinks aren't refilled promptly, have to flag person down to get anything, but the right food did come out and it was hot/warm) I drop down to 15 percent. If the service was great or we were a lot of trouble I bump up to 25 percent. We have left nothing a couple of times when the service was truly dreadful.

Catherine
Me too. 15% is usually the lowest I go.

There was only one time I did not leave a tip because the service was AWFUL! We did, however, hand the busboys cash tips because they did a good job and I did not want them to lose out because of the waitress.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM

I was a waitress, and I tip at least 15% unless the service is completely terrible and the staff is rude. Usually I try to tip 20% or a little more.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM

I have worked as a server and also in a restaurant for many years and I always start out at 15%. If I only tip 15% the service was not great. Great service gets at least 20%. If I have DS with me I always tack on extra for the mess we seem to leave behind. If I had truly horrible service I am talking to a manager at that point.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 PM

I voted other because while I have worked as a bar-tender, I didn't do that until my late 20's. And I was a 20% tipper before I worked in service.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
I
I am a generous tipper because I find it semi abusive to order someone around and act like you're of a higher class and then turn around and lay two bucks on the table and go on about your day.
Who does this? I always say please and thank you whenever I ask for something or receive something.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM

I know several people who act like that. I guess they know they are rude, though, because they all tip rather well.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM

I was a waitress for years, and a bus-girl for years before that. I am a moderately generous tipper. When I was waiting tables and bussing, tips were basically all I was paid. I think the hourly pay at my last waitress job was $1.79 an hour. Waitresses and waiters don't even make minimum wage; tips are their only substantial income. So I will only stiff somebody if the service was truly awful, and even then I'll make good and sure it was the SERVER's fault. They can't help it if somebody in the kitchen isn't doing their job, or if the manager is a jerk. If the service is adequate I'll leave 15% if I'm not with my kids. With my kids, I usually leave more even for just adequate service, because I know that dealing with the mess and noise my kids can sometimes create is extra work. My kids are mostly well-behaved in public places, but even so they're little, and there's a lot of them, and mess happens.

If the service goes beyond adequate, I'll often leave 20 to 25%.

And I think people who patronize or are rude to waiters, waitresses, or other service workers deserve to be refused service. There's no excuse for that, no matter who you are, unless you yourself happen to be absolutely perfect every minute of every day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Lots of people do this. I have witnessed several tables who confuse having a server with having a slave for the evening. Snapping their fingers to get a servers attention, butting in to speak with a server while s/he is waiting on me, go get me some pepper, make me a fresh pot of coffee, I don't like this-get me something else, shut the blinds -wait, now it's too dark, where the hell is my food?(that they ordered 2 minutes ago), don't bring my coffee now - where is my coffee, ad nauseum. No please, no thank you, and sometimes no tip.

My sister worked as a waitress for a time, and she once ran herself ragged for a couple - she begged the chef to make a special plate for them, took back several salads that weren't "pretty" enough, and endured their abuse about how serving was a dead-end job suitable only for the uneducated. Their tip was the business card to a diet center.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never worked a service job, but I had friends who did.

I usually tip around 15%. Generally slightly over because NYS tax is I think 8.25% so I just double the tax.

I'll tip more for really good service, and I'll tip lower (but never under 10%) for really bad service- but then only if it was something within the server's control. He or she can't help it if the food is slow coming out of the kitchen, or if the restaurant is super crowded. But it IS in the server's control to be pleasant, to get our orders correct (and bring things back to the kitchen if it's not). I can tell the difference between "busy and a little stressed as a result" and "downright nasty and rude to us."

Oh yeah, and kids. Whenever I've gone to restaurants with kids, I always tip extra. Especially if I don't order special food for the child (but share my own), I'll make sure the tip reflects the work the waiter or waitress has actually done, not a percentage of the food ordered. There have been times, when dining with two toddlers, that the tip I left was nearly equal to the food bill itself!

Not that I can eat in any sit-down restaurants these days, with my various food restrictions. sigh.....

I used to tip the hairdresser $1 per haircut ($8-$10 haircuts) until I realized that was only around 10%. Since then I've been giving them $2 per haircut. If I don't have the $12 to spare, I'll delay the haircut.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 PM

I voted tip at least 15% and never been a server. My sister is a server though so maybe I should have voted other? If I have the cash I'll often WAY over tip just because I know how it makes my sister's day when someone gives her a big tip and I like the idea of being able to do that for someone else. I don't eat at sit down restaurants often so a big tip won't really affect my budget.

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Please ignore the vote for "I have NOT worked a service job, and I tip less than 15%" I didn't mean to click on that one, I meant "I have NOT worked a service job, and I tip at least 15%".
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 PM

I currently wait tables, and DH and I met while waiting tables together, so we are chronic overtippers. It's just SO nice to have someone leave a good tip. For instance, if a bill comes to, like $40, most people leave between $6 and $8 as a tip. Which is nice. But when someone throws in the extra couple of bucks and leaves $10--whoo hoo! Puts me in such a pleasant mood.

So when we dine out, we think of it from that perspective. If we're already spending $48 for dinner, why not just round it up the extra two to make someone's night? Obviously, though, we are in a position where we can afford to make that choice over a couple of dollars, so that helps.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Yep, I was a waitress and I try to tip well (if the service is good).

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM

I voted other. I've never worked in a tipped job, and I usually tip more than 15% (although my mother, who worked for years as a waitress before I was born, thinks 15% is what you leave for very very good service, because that's how it was when she worked in the industry). However, I will tip less than 15% if the service is crappy. There was one time I actually tipped nothing, and then slipped some money to the busser who brought us drinks when we told her we couldn't find our waiter anywhere. I probably should have talked to management, but I was on my honeymoon and didn't want to deal with it - I just wanted out of the gawdawful experience.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 AM

I have worked a service job and I do tip at least 15%, almost always more.

Because I was a hotel maid, I leave ridiculous tips. Ridiculous as in my husband would have a coronary if he saw how much I left But I just can not get that horrid job expierience out of my mind so I just feel so inclined to leave a nice tip for them.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 AM

I have worked as a waitress. After that experience - I tip 20%, regardless of where I am.

My only exception is that I won't tip that much if the server is abysmal. I just can't stand incompetence! I understand bad days, but I've been to some places in Paris where the server didn't even come to my table until 30 minutes had passed from when I sat down. And he definitely saw me waving before then!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 AM

I cant believe so many people tip..all the time..wow..

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 AM

I have never been in the service industry and I always tip around 20%. If we received exceptional service, we tip more.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Really? In your area (which isn't that far from my area), it isn't standard to tip? Here it is absolutely expected. It is just what you do. 15% if it was just ok, 20% if it was great, 25+% if it was really exceptional.

We generally do 20% as a standard tip unless the service was a 1 or a 10.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

i haven't worked in the service industry and i prefer to tip closer to 20%.

i know what these folks get paid and i know that they rely on tips for the majority of their income. it's also hard work.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
In Toronto it's standard to tip all the time, so when I'm out your way I do too. 10% is the lowest I go and that's for basically forgetting our food or something terrible - which come to think of it has only happened maybe twice. In my life.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 07-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Really? In your area (which isn't that far from my area), it isn't standard to tip? Here it is absolutely expected. It is just what you do. 15% if it was just ok, 20% if it was great, 25+% if it was really exceptional.

We generally do 20% as a standard tip unless the service was a 1 or a 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
In Toronto it's standard to tip all the time, so when I'm out your way I do too. 10% is the lowest I go and that's for basically forgetting our food or something terrible - which come to think of it has only happened maybe twice. In my life.
It is standard to tip here...but only because people continue to do so. A tip *should* be for service above and beyond someone doing their job. Simply doing your job is not a reason to tip. Its not really a tip then, in theory, its part of the bill - because no matter the service most people seem to tip at least 10%..so because service people can always expect a tip, what is their motivation for providing great service?

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 PM

what's funny is I know some ppl who think 15 is way too HIGH, and others who think 15 is way too LOW...

here, the servers already make minimum, so if every table tipped an extra $10, those servers are better paid than most of the customers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
So ... that'd be option #4, since "at least 15%" includes 20% and up.

So ... that'd be option #2, since I stated in my OP that this was for satisfactory service.

This is why I always hesitate to include an "other" option -- everyone thinks their situation is unique!

Anyway, it looks like the only thing my "scientific" poll is showing is that pretty much everyone tips at least 15%, and more people have worked in service than not.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've heard people say they don't tip generously for poor service, and I have to admit if the service seems really bad because of the server's attitude, I still tip, but not as generously. I mean not 20%. And I'm talking people who clearly ignore me or are arrogant and condescending. Like the waiter who came to the table, threw the coasters and menus down on the table and spoke in a patronizing tone, like he was wishing he had a better table, or something. And last summer when I went out to lunch with my mom, daughters and a friend and the waitresses fought in front of us about who had to take the table, and then our waitress actually left in the middle of our lunch. The cook was serving the food. We went up and gave him the tip personally.

When I worked as a foodserver, some of the other servers were pretty opportunistic with the tables they took. There was one guy who wanted to be quadruple sat, and then he'd ask me to make all his desserts for him if he got a new table. Ummmm...no, give me your table, I have nothing right now. But he wouldn't do it, he just asked other servers to do half his work for him. He was the type who would give away tables if they had two women at it, or women with children, or church looking people. I had one guy tell me flat out, "Mennonites don't tip, it's nothing against them, they just don't believe in tipping." Funny, I *always* received a tip from the Mennonite customers.

Then these two women, not exactly attractive, who worked in the kitchen at my restaurant went out to dinner at a nice place and they said they got horrendous service and finally had to go and tell their water that they worked in a restaurant and planned on tipping him.

I think better looking food servers often received better tips. I had a friend who joked that he overcharged people for food, his free refills weren't free, etc, but that he always got tipped well. I got tipped well by people who were happy when I treated them well, since I tended to treat everyone the same. Like people with children or a group of church people.

Waiting tables was a weird job, and I do think that it attracts a certain kind of employee who wants to be able to really schmooze for tips. I think getting rid of the tipping structure and making waiting tables a job that pays a certain amount of money like other service industry jobs would result in higher food costs, and probably better service for some people and worse service for others.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 PM

I picked have worked in the service industry and tip at least 15%, but I contemplated "other" because unless the service was beyond terrible, I would never dream of tipping less than 20%. As someone who has worked in the service industry and was brought up by a dad who made his living in the service industry, I was taught that you take care of the people who take care of you, so to speak.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogautumn View Post
I picked have worked in the service industry and tip at least 15%, but I contemplated "other" because unless the service was beyond terrible, I would never dream of tipping less than 20%. As someone who has worked in the service industry and was brought up by a dad who made his living in the service industry, I was taught that you take care of the people who take care of you, so to speak.
Yeah, I never tip less than 20% unless the service is abysmal either, but I worded it "at least 15%" to account for regional variation, since 20% doesn't seem to be the average everywhere. And the "at least" part covers bigger tippers like us.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-24-2009, 11:47 PM

i was a hostess so not technically a service job but i saw enough that i always tip at least 15% and usually 20% unless the server is just rude... incompetant is fine, i fugure they're just new or having a bad night or something.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:57 AM

I waited tables throughout college - dh has never worked a service job - he's as careful as I am to tip well. We generally tip at least 20%, or more. Often more, because we've got kids with allergies so we end up needing our wait staff to work a little harder figuring out what we can/can't have etc. on the menu. And we're aware of the fact that they're waiting on kids, even though they're not necessarily buying a lot of food, so we adjust up for that too. I know wait staff often expects a smaller tip from families.

When we divide our dinner (at restaurants that provide lots of food) we tip 30% or more because obviously it was the same amount of work even though it was half the food.... When we could eat at Olive Garden, we always did that.

In MT, where I grew up, the wait staff is paid minimum wage - but in most states, I believe, it's below minimum wage -- here it's less than $2/hour. My step-sister-in-law works as a waitress to support herself and her daughter. It's the work that's available here, and she's a very good waitress. But she's not making great money. Maybe if she got actual minimum wage, but she's not getting that.

Some of us worked service jobs because we had to at the time but have moved on to other jobs. It's not that simple for everyone - there are people who for whatever reason haven't got the same access to different jobs (whether it's education level, or the type of economy where they live and the reasons that they need to stay there, or whatever). It's really easy to say, "Well, they can get a different job if they don't like waiting tables for less than minimum wage," but it's not actually that easy to DO [find a different job].

ETA: We give really good tips if the service is excellent. When a server/waitress serves really well I've tipped up to 40% - and will tell them why, too.

When service staff is paid less than minimum wage as an 'incentive' to make them work harder, I think we owe it to them to at least pay the minimum tip unless the service was awful.

DH's grandma won't tip more than a dollar or two, no matter how much we spend for food. So when she takes us out to dinner when we're visiting, dh or I will go sneak a much larger tip to the wait staff - because we know she comes in and leaves virtually nothing in tip for most of the year while expecting stellar service anyway.

Not all who wander are lost.

User Tag List