Do you use a wine glass - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you drink wine? I see absolutely no point in drinking wine if it is not from a pretty wine glass. DH thinks my wine glasses are silly. He twisted his face at me last night and jokingly said that I could not have any if I took out a wine glass and that I should drink it out of a mug!

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM

I use a wine glass. To me it is part of the whole experience: the pretty glass, the color of the wine shining through, etc. I am no expert, but aren't you supposed to use different glasses for different types of wine so they can *breathe* or something?

Your DH sounds about as practical as mine!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
yeah, the glass affects the where the wine hits your tongue. Different wines really need different types of wine glasses.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I use a wine glass. To me it is part of the whole experience: the pretty glass, the color of the wine shining through, etc. I am no expert, but aren't you supposed to use different glasses for different types of wine so they can *breathe* or something?

Your DH sounds about as practical as mine!
No wine calls for a mug, huh?

That is exactly what I told dh....that the glass was part of the experience.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 AM

I don't drink wine very often (I'm more of a rum and coke drinker) but when I do, I use a wine glass.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 AM

I drink wine pretty often so I really should invest in a couple nice wine glasses that I actually like. As it stands, I have a few, but don't really like them so I seldom use them. They're too big and delicate at the same time. Since I have to choose from what I have, I typically drink my wine from one of the many nice bourbon glasses we have. Dh works part time at a liquor store so he brings home freebies on occasion... shot glasses and bourbon glasses; no wine glasses. My favorite is the squared Johnny Walker glass. Second choice is the Crown Royal glass. But if I had a wine glass I liked I would absolutely use it. It just seems weird drinking wine out of a plastic cup or coors lite pint glass.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 AM

Wine glass all the way. I don't, however, always use the correct type of wine glass. I don't even know what the correct type is. I just pick a glass based on how much wine I want.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 AM

I use a wine glass. When else am I going to use the Austrian crystal I got when I got married?

: We don't throw too many black tie dinner parties around here.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 AM

I use a wine glass. I don't think I would notice if the wind can breathe, but it is pretty with fancy stem and I love it. Plus it helps me measure how much wine I am drinking. A lot of wine can fit into a mug, especially the coffee mugs at my house.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Una

Honestly, if we're drinking cheap wine I tend to just drink it out of a juice glass. It's cheap wine, therefore it gets cheap glasses. If it's a nice wine, I will locate a wine glass. I have different glasses for different types of wines.

DP doesn't drink much but I'm sure he would drink the wine out of a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag if I let him.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 AM

yes i do! part of the experience...
Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
Honestly, if we're drinking cheap wine I tend to just drink it out of a juice glass. It's cheap wine, therefore it gets cheap glasses. If it's a nice wine, I will locate a wine glass. I have different glasses for different types of wines.

DP doesn't drink much but I'm sure he would drink the wine out of a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag if I let him.
cute!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM

I never drink wine not out of a wine glass (though admitedly I don't drink much, just on shabbat and other holidays, when we say kiddish really, and not too much then.)

my mom was an alchoholic, and its part of my many mind games. "alcoholics drink wine from a regular cup, so if I drink wine from a cup, that would make me an alcoholic so I'll only drink wine from a glass". I realize its probably not healthy, and its certainly strange, but *shrugs*. my dad's family is in the wine business, so I know what kind of wine goes in what kind of glass, etc, but we only have a couple of wine glasses (white wine, though everything would go in them), of course we have no corkscrew atm..... lol.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 AM

Yes. The wine snob in me needs it. But if I am in a pinch, well, a coffee mug will do.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:04 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post

this is soooo us :!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I like to serve it casually in juice glasses sometimes -- I think it looks rustic and charming.

But I also like to drink it from a wine glass sometimes, and when I do I hold it by the stem, not the bowl.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I like to serve it casually in juice glasses sometimes -- I think it looks rustic and charming.

But I also like to drink it from a wine glass sometimes, and when I do I hold it by the stem, not the bowl.
I am a stem holder too

Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 AM

I usually use a wine glass for wine. Sometimes I use a wine glass for something other then wine. Sometimes I use a mug or other type of drink holder for wine. I've been known to drain the last few sips of wine straight from the bottle just because there's no use in dirtying a glass for such a small amount.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 AM

I am not picky about whether or not I use a wine glass. Sometimes I enjoy a glass, other times I really like using a glazed ceramic cup. To me it tastes the same either way.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM

Oh yes! Totally part of the experience. I have two sets of glasses and one of the glasses from one set is my preferred (they are made from recycled glass so very rustic looking).

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 AM

A good wine always gets the right type of wine glass, but good wine is a rare treat these days (that was one of the benefits of living at home with my parents when I was in college)...after living in Italy I became accustomed to drinking "table wine" out of a tumbler so it does not bother me so much not to use a proper glass when the wine is for "swigging down" with some pasta rather than to be "sipped and savored".

I guess that makes me snobbier than a snob as a lesser wine is not "deserving" of a proper wine glass (OK, the truth is that I am often lazy ).

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 AM

I just counted in my head and I think I have 10 different sets of wine glasses for different wines and different levels of formality.

So yes, we use wine glasses in this house.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
A good wine always gets the right type of wine glass, but good wine is a rare treat these days (that was one of the benefits of living at home with my parents when I was in college)...after living in Italy I became accustomed to drinking "table wine" out of a tumbler so it does not bother me so much not to use a proper glass when the wine is for "swigging down" with some pasta rather than to be "sipped and savored".

I guess that makes me snobbier than a snob as a lesser wine is not "deserving" of a proper wine glass (OK, the truth is that I am often lazy ).
Funny. I drink the same old white zinfindel out of the same old cheap, yet pretty wine glass. No swigging down though!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 PM
crl

I use a wine glass. Our regular glasses are huuuggge because DH insists on them being big enough to hold a lot of ice plus an entire can of soda. Pouring a reasonable serving of wine into those looks ridiculous. And it never occurred to me to use a mug. Then you can't see the pretty color. . .
Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM

I used to use wine glasses all the time, but I hate dragging them down from the top shelf of a cabinet. I tend to use a nifty mug/glass combo thingie we got from a Ren Faire. It feels nice and rustic, which is appropriate since I only drink fruitie local wines since I react to most wines.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Absolutely I use a wine glass! And I drink my diet coke from a wine glass, too. Apparently, there was some discussion behind my back amongst my sisters-in-laws about my drinking since they thought I was drinking wine at 8 a.m. every day (It is just my morning diet coke!) Everything tastes better in a nice glass. :-)

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 PM

I don't drink wine but I drink lemonade out of champagne and wine glasses. Why should I not get to enjoy beautiful glasses simply because I don't drink alcohol?

Live and love with your whole being.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:12 PM

I always use a wine glass. Dh sometimes does and sometimes doesn't (doesn't more now that he broke one).
Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyjoys View Post
Absolutely I use a wine glass! And I drink my diet coke from a wine glass, too. Apparently, there was some discussion behind my back amongst my sisters-in-laws about my drinking since they thought I was drinking wine at 8 a.m. every day (It is just my morning diet coke!) Everything tastes better in a nice glass. :-)
Cute story!

User Tag List