Its soooo hot here!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's extremely humid here. The dewpoint is the great humid factor. When the dew point is close to the actual temp (as has been here), it's downright horrible.
I wish I had a/c for the living room. ugh.

Mama, Painter, Special Needs Coordinator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was 104 degrees yesterday, no A/C! It's heating up again and is unusually muggy- bleah!!!!!!!!!!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#33 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM

110 here, low humidity, but still too hot to be out until atleast 6pm I now prefer fall over summer.
#34 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caittune View Post
It was so hot my little girl woke up with heat sickness this morning. She was cuddling up to me clammy and yuck. I don't know what to do for her since it isn't as if she was actually doing anything to make herself hot, just sleeping.
Poor baby! Can you run a cool bath and let her play in the tub for a while or something to cool off? It's so stressful to not be able to get relief when it's hot like that day and night.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#35 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
How do you exist without AC?! I can't imagine.

Because on a normal year it would only be 70-75 deg this time of year. We would only hit mid 80's for a day or 2.
We have block heaters in our vehicles, not AC in our houses.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#36 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last night I hung out 3 loads of laundry - all after 9 pm - with the clothes overlapping, and then sheets overlapping the clothes... and they were still dry within an hour. This is NOT normal - usually my laundry would still be wet in the morning.

Even the stuff I hung up inside the house was dry super fast. I did manage to sleep okay, though, with a cold shower and then the fan pointed straight at my bed.

Ah well... At least I don't have to shovel my car out of the sun! :

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014
#37 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
It's extremely humid here. The dewpoint is the great humid factor. When the dew point is close to the actual temp (as has been here), it's downright horrible.
I wish I had a/c for the living room. ugh.
Yeah, I guess it finally got hot in our neck of the woods, huh?

Last night I went out to my car and there was condensation on it. The humidity makes me feel like I'm in a jungle.
#38 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM

I don't know how anyone in the SW does it! Anything over 85 degrees, and I am dying. In fact when it is 85 out, I put on my A/C! I guess I'm a big wimp compared to you guys!

Here in the Michigan it has been a VERY cool summer, and I am loving it. The only problem is not much swimming which we love, but the water temp. is too cold.

Here's hope for comfortable temperatures and humidity for everyone!
#39 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 PM

I think I am actually starting to get used to it! And I am the red head who is extremely heat sensitive usually. We arehardly getting anything done this week... trying to keep cool is about it. With two kiddos with sensory issues it is pretty trying. My 5 year old has never ever even dipped his toes in the lake whenever we have gone... he has been right in there every single day this week!( yay!) I keep the bathtub full of cold water and we dip in and out of it whenever we need to cool down. I also have some of those fabric bags that you can fill with ice cubes ( you can get them at the pharmacy) so each of the boys can take thier own to bed.All of the things we do to stay cool!

:
#40 of 51 Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM

I don't know what it was in my house today, but it was 42C/108F on the front porch when dh got home. It's brutal. I am not cut out for this, and neither are my kids. Unfortunately, I haven't fully recovered from my c-section and can't wrangle ds2 effectively...and he need wrangling. So, we're pretty much stuck inside the house. I hope this breaks soon. I'm getting a lot of headaches, and I just feel incredibly crappy, in general.

I want the rain...I really want the rain.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#41 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 AM

I really do hate to complain but yep, it is pretty horrible. Today in DH's classroom at work it was 102, but felt like 108. I can't imagine it was much cooler here.

I put DD in the bath this morning and we tried to keep pushing fluids. She doesn't understand she needs to be calm and drink. I think she got to the point where she stopped feeling the need to drink, which is bad. We are going over to the inlaws tomorrow and spending the day in their basement or in their pool.

I was reading this is supposed to last until next saturday. I'm seriously considering blowing the budget and springing for a hotel. I'm pregnant and with DD it is almost to the point of being dangerous.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
#42 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

It's supposed to drop a little today, at least in Vancouver. Mind you, humidity at the airport (where the "official" numbers for Vancouver are taken), the humidity was 64% this morning. Ugh.

DD1 and ds2 are going to have a bath today...it's hard for me to do that right now, but it's necessary. I think I'll just keep wiping dd2 down with cool cloths. She's having a bad time, because she wants to be held all the time, which isn't helping her cool down any!!

Caittune: I can't even imagine. I've been reminding myself regularly how lucky I am that I had my baby before the hot spell...and that this weather didn't come while I was still in the first few days post-op. I can see your point about it being dangerous. My body temperature reached 101.4F yesterday. *sigh*

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#43 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You poor pregnant and recovering mamas!!!

I'm so sorry, and it sounds like since this hardly ever happens there, public places (like your DH's school, Caittune) aren't air conditioned? What about malls and the like? Is there anywhere to go and get a little relief for a while?

For sleeping, laying a wet towel on your body and then pointing a fan at you really helps. Obviously that'll only work for adults because kids would take it off or move around too much, but hopefully it'll help some.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#44 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Public places are air conditioned, and of course grocery stores have a/c. I haven't really been able to go out, though - I can't chase after ds2 until I'm 100% recovered, and he's being...challenging.

I have a few plans today, though. The heat just really took us by surprise. It's freakishly hot for this part of the world.

It's supposed to be a bit cooler tonight, but if it's still really hot, I'll try the towel thing. We do have a fan (bought it on Monday) aimed at us at bedtime. It helps a little, but I hadn't thought of adding a wet towel...

#45 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It was cooler (like, under 100) here yesterday and RAINED! Not enought to aleviate the "extreme" drought, but enough to cool it off some. But then it got really steamy late yesterday.

Today, it's still under 100 and cloudy, but no rain.

And for the rest of the week, the high is forecast to be about 105, almost ten degrees above normal.

By August 15, we usually see some small change in the weather. Highs predicted to be in the upper 90's, instead of over 100. Two more weeks. Two more weeks. Repeat after me, only two more weeks.

When does summer begin to slack off a bit where you live?

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#46 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

We had thunder and lightning last night....while the rain was a relief lightning is not good up here right now...its so dry!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#47 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I've mainly just been taking lots of cool showers, although the other day on my lunch break I went and stood in the water park. Thank goodness it seems a degree or two cooler today... or maybe that is wishful thinking on my part!

I use a wrung-out sarong instead of a wet towel, but the principle is the same... more comfortable for me though. Maybe I should pull out my towel skirt - when we go camping in the desert I sometimes get it wet and then wear it in the afternoon to stay cool. It's a cute little skirt made out of a vintage 70's flowered towel.

Or there's always a spray/mister bottle with ice water, maybe a drop or two of lavender.

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014
#48 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
We are currently stuck on the highway in AZ coming back from a vacation in CA and the thermostat on the rear view mirror says 110 degrees! At 10:00 pm! Luckily the AC is blasting in our vehicle. I live in NM but it doesn't get this hot - plus it's dry w/no humidity.
Yup. This is what we live in here.

Yesterday I got to frive to a Dr's appt in our van who's AC just crapped out in 110+ weather 37 weeks preggers with twins. Woot!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#49 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Yup. This is what we live in here.

Yesterday I got to frive to a Dr's appt in our van who's AC just crapped out in 110+ weather 37 weeks preggers with twins. Woot!
Ohhhman! Our house ac broke a few weeks ago when it was close to 120...we didn't have anywhere else to stay for the night so we slept in the house in 96 degree heat all night long. Worst night ever! At least it's cooled down to 107 today

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#50 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Laggie - it's definitely cooler today...hotter than I personally prefer, but unlikely to have me gasping for air at bedtime, yk?

#51 of 51 Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM

Thank goodness that today was so much cooler. The pacific northwest just got hit hard with the weather. 85 felt cool compared to the 105 with humidity and no air conditioning.

Living my dream. wife to dh, mom to ds1 (9/07) and ds2 (2/11), owned by pug and cat. Does it get any better than this?joy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page