Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i vote for a volvo! I love mine!
#32 of 43 Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM

I vote for the Ford Freestyle/Taurus X! I bought my Freestyle early this year (used; the TX replaced it last year) and I absolutely LOVE it! Mine has second-row captains chairs, but some of them come with a bench seat in the second row so you can seat 7. (Although I bought mine for the sole fact that my great dane can fit in the back comfortably; I only have two kids). With the captains chairs, its fairly easy for older kids to get into the 3rd row seats. The front wheel drive model gets really good gas mileage (I average between 24-27mpg on the highway), and it goes great in the snow. Its sportier than a minivan, gets much better gas mileage than an SUV, and I love that all the seats fold flat into the floor on the off chance that I need it to haul something other than kids...I've fit a shorter kayak in it and been able to close the back hatch. The Taurus X is basically just a newer version of it, but gets slightly worse gas mileage because it doesn't have the CVT transmission that the FS has. Just my two cents.

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
#33 of 43 Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM

We have had a Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3rd row of seats -- I absolutely LOVE it. It's not as big as a full SUV or a minivan. We have all wheel drive and it handles beautifully in the rain and the snow. The 3rd row is actually 2 seats so you can choose to have just 1 seat if that's all you need and leave the other down for any cargo. The seats are also very sturdy and stable, especially for pop-up and down seats. The only small drawback is that with the 3rd row up, the available cargo space is very limited.
#34 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
I was probably being too general, but I do think SUV's are generally safer because of their size and weight,
See, this, to me, says "more likely to kill whoever you hit". : Big cars make my little car less safe.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#35 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Until yesterday I had a 2003 Honda Odyssey LX that I really, really loved. Long story short my husband and 3 kids were in the car on the interstate and were involved in a multicar wreck and the van was totaled. The thing looks like it just crumpled in the accident...but thanks to that van and our carseats my whole family walked away from the wreck with nothing but bruises from their seatbelts...I am replacing it with the same when we get the insurance stuff straightened out.
#36 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 AM

I shall be taking notes... We really don't want to have to go the minivan route, and if we end up moving to the middle of nowhere if hubby gets a job offer, there's no way we could do anything but something like a Suburban or something equally large enough for kids, weekly or bi-weekly to a grocery store or a monthly trip to Costco and such, and handle roads/driveways that may not be plowed (which, while something like the Sienna may have AWD, ground clearance can make or break you up here sometimes).

Anyway. If we end up staying put (and not having to sell our house/garden, yay!), if we can't sell our 2008 Honda CRV, we may just get an after-market third row seat to stick in it. Cargo room might be clsoe to nil at that point, but if we're in town we can work it... plus it just means no car payment the longer we keep this sucker. And that 3rd row seat would last for several years at least, juggling kids around in various spots in it depending in their height and all that jazz.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#37 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 AM

I love my Mercedes R Class. Very roomy in the third row, but not much storage space if you are using all the seats. With three kids we keep one of the back seats down so do have enough storage.
#38 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM

I avoided getting a minivan for the longest time. Im not sure why but I just couldnt picture myself in one. I finally gave in and got an Odyssey last year and love it. It's the best car Ive ever owned.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#39 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
We are going to get a Volvo XC90 Volvo wagons also have 3rd row.
My dream car! We only have one baby now, so can't justify the Volvo, but one day it will be mine!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#40 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
Until yesterday I had a 2003 Honda Odyssey LX that I really, really loved. Long story short my husband and 3 kids were in the car on the interstate and were involved in a multicar wreck and the van was totaled. The thing looks like it just crumpled in the accident...but thanks to that van and our carseats my whole family walked away from the wreck with nothing but bruises from their seatbelts...I am replacing it with the same when we get the insurance stuff straightened out.
Glad you are all okay!! That sounds like it must have been very scary! Definitely shows that the Odyssey kept you all safe!

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#41 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
Wow, mama - I am so glad your family is okay! Thank heavens for well-engineered vehicles!
We also have a Honda Odyssey (I believe ours is a 2003 also) and we love it so much. It is our second one - and since we got it, my IL's also bought one (the new Touring model - where's the "green w/envy" smilie?) and then my BIL and his family bought one too! Funniest thing is they are all silver!

My IL's bought the nice new one that seats 8, so we could all travel together in one vehicle when we wanted.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#42 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM

I love my 8 passenger Denali. It is big but the base it handles like a car. We looked at so many different types of vans and SUV's and the Denali suits our towing needs and seating needs. Plus you can actually use all 3 rows of seats. It seems like so many vehicles with the 3 rows are small and cramped. We got bench seats on both the 2nd and third rows because of the car seats and older kiddos we have. It also has one of the highest safety ratings for vehicles that size.

The sea monkey has my money.

#43 of 43 Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is the third row seating - we have a Freestar and two people can sit in the third row if it's a kid and an adult. You can get two carseats back there, too. My point is you're not getting 3 people in that third row, I don't care how skinny they are!

Jenn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page