heck no! 30 30.93%
not sure 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My brother’s getting married on Sat. There has been a lot of back & forth about whether my children including a 3 week old are welcome, where I can/can’t nurse during the reception, etc. since I was first told about this wedding last fall. You can read more about all that in these links.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1015201
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=999222
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1030445

I need to decide if I am going to go to the church for the actual wedding, just myself & the newborn (the wedding is about 45 min or so from my house so not a big deal that way). I think I’ve made up my mind, but wondered what others would do & why.

I shouls also include the fact that my brother isn't the one who cares about the baby, nursing, etc. It's the BTB & the future MIL (& maybe others from the soon to be ILs, but don't know beyond those 2 people).

So, please share what you think you’d do if you were in my shoes.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm amazed that people are trying to tell you where and when to nurse your baby. That makes me angry and I wouldn't go based on that alone...

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM

I would go, but only because it is your brother. What would happen if you nursed where these people don't want you to nurse?
#4 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 PM

it's your brother's wedding. Hopefully the only one he will have. While I agree that asking you to curtail your nursing is sort of rude, I would make do the best I could so I could be there.
#5 of 48 Old 08-03-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty View Post
I would go, but only because it is your brother. What would happen if you nursed where these people don't want you to nurse?
oddly, the topic of nursing at the church never came up, only at the reception. i was thinking of printing a card or 10 w/ the ordinance for Philadelphia that says a woman can nurse anywhere in Philadelphia in case someone approaches us.

if i don't do that, i think i'll just tell them to bug off.

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 AM

I wouldn't go.

However, I skip all weddings. Including the ones in my family. Even close family. I didn't go to my mom's wedding when she re-married. I didn't go to my dad's wedding when he re-married. It was nothing personal - I loved both of their new partners. And I sent lots of warm, well wishes, took them out to dinner before to celebrate, etc.

I just dislike attending large group gatherings like weddings.

I don't personally think weddings are such a huge deal that you MUST be there. If you are not comfortable going, or don't want to go - then don't. If you are comfortable going - then go.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#7 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 AM

I would go. I *do* think weddings are important. Even if I didn't get along with my future SIL, I'd still want to be there for my brother.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#8 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 AM

I'd go, but I would nurse anywhere my child needed to eat, including the recption. And if they said anything, I would just tell them to MTOB. I'd be there for my brother.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd skip the wedding, wish them well and send a nice gift.
#10 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM

I'd go with baby. Nurse in the car before going into the church, nurse after the ceremony if necessary. Wear something appropiate for both the occasion and ease of nursing, then whenever baby is hungry at the reception, do it discretely. I am a master of ninja nursing, no one ever realizes what I am doing, so I personally wouldn't even think about the In Law issue.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#11 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM

I'd go and nurse wherever and whenever baby needed. I'd probably bring a blanket to cover up, but that's because of my own comfort level with such a small baby and things still getting figured out.

Mama of three.

#12 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd go at least to the church service if not the reception (with the baby, of course!)
In my experience, weddings are pretty important and in the long run your brother will appreciate your effort. By skipping the reception you can minimize the stress on you & your family but still support your brother....
#13 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM

I would go to the ceremony and skip the reception.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#14 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM

i would go for my brother, nursing when and where i needed to, according to my own comfort. i would be tempted to squirt milk at anyone who tried to tell my not to nurse wherever. not that i would actually do it, but i would be tempted.
#15 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM

I would go to the church with your newborn. Despite the fact that they are being ridiculous, he is still your brother and you will likely regret missing the ceremony. Its a shame you have to skip the reception because of their rules, but obviously babies come first.

Editing b/c I was confused. I thought the only issue was attending the ceremony and the reception was off the table.

Whatever it is, I would go anywhere you and the baby have been invited and nurse however is easiest for you. I would be much more concerned about being prepared to leave quickly if the baby starts crying.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#16 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

Considering how you've been treated by these people since they announced their engagement, there's no way I'd be going out of my way to attend anything of theirs. Your brother is a self-centered abusive UAV, and his BTB (and her family) is just as bad. Personally I'd keep myself out of their orbit as much as possible, and that includes at this event.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM

I would tell your brother that you really want to be there, but can't be restricted on where and when you can nurse your baby if you went. If he truly has a problem with it, then tell him you respectfully decline, if he is OK with it, but the IL's aren't, then I'd go.. you got your brother's permission, and it is him you are going to see. He can deal with them in his own way.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#18 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i would go for my brother, nursing when and where i needed to, according to my own comfort. i would be tempted to squirt milk at anyone who tried to tell my not to nurse wherever. not that i would actually do it, but i would be tempted.

:

hh2.gif

#19 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Considering how you've been treated by these people since they announced their engagement, there's no way I'd be going out of my way to attend anything of theirs. Your brother is a self-centered abusive UAV, and his BTB (and her family) is just as bad. Personally I'd keep myself out of their orbit as much as possible, and that includes at this event.
Reading the previous threads, I have to agree with this. I wouldn't bother going to this wedding.

If there wasn't all this history, I would say go and bring your baby. Everyone in the wedding party will be so busy no one will have the time to pay attention to what you are doing.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#20 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM

What a mess.

I read in your other thread that the Maid of Honor was not allowed to bring her newborn? That is some messed up thinking there.

Your future SIL is not handling this well. Your brother is letting her offend people.

I do not know what I would do. I might call my brother and ask him directly if he wanted me there.
#21 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM

I think you should DEFINITELY go, because you will regret it if you don't. Your brother, his future MIL, and his future wife sound like they are behaving in a way that I vehemently disagree with, especially as someone who nurses, but I also believe that there are some events in life that if we even remotely feel a sense of obligation to attend, we should. Weddings are one of those things that I think we should put our beliefs aside as much as possible, without compromising those beliefs. So, in this case I would bring the baby and a trusted friend or husband if there is a babysitter available for the older two, nurse the baby and then leave the baby with the other person very briefly (probably about 45 minutes for the ceremony) and smile and give my best wishes to the couple, and then go back to the baby. My second choice would be to wear the baby, nurse right before the ceremony and then right after if you think the baby would tolerate this. It isn't ideal, it isn't very breastfeeding friendly, but I would still do it, and feel good about myself. I would not miss my brother's wedding, even if he is behaving in a way that I don't agree with.
#22 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM

Wouldn't go. They need to realize that their poorly thought out actions ARE going to affect their relationships. And I am not meaning don't go just to spite them, but rather don't go because you shouldn't allow yourself to be treated this way.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#23 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM

I think anytime a nursing mother is told to not nurse her child at a specific place, she is basically told to not attend, so I wouldn't go. If I had a newborn, I certainly wouldn't go anywhere the baby wasn't welcomed to.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#24 of 48 Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I'd go, but I would nurse anywhere my child needed to eat, including the recption. And if they said anything, I would just tell them to MTOB. I'd be there for my brother.
This.
#25 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM

okay, after reading the back-story, i'm less convinced about going. if you want to, if you don't want to miss it, then absolutely. if it's going to be completely unpleasant with you then don't.

silly question: is your brother's daughter allowed at the wedding?
#26 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM

i think you should go to the ceremony - you seem conflicted enough about whether or not to go that you asked us. if you go, at least you know you have done your part in case things go poorly with your inlaws in the future (and your brother for that matter). if you do not go and things continue to deteriorate with your inlaws, you will wonder if your absence at the wedding contributed to it and who needs that? plus, it is your brother, so i think it is important to attend for him.

i would nurse my baby right before going in to the ceremony in hopes that would work out (but then, i've never been a great NIPer, so i would have done that anyway). then if your baby needs to nurse, i would do it. babies need to eat when they are hungry and not nursing your baby would be hugely disruptive to the ceremony. if that occurs, i wouldn't even say anything - it's not like they will ever know anyway.
#27 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't go. It wouldn't be worth the stress for me 3 weeks post partum.
#28 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I think you should DEFINITELY go, because you will regret it if you don't.
I didn't attend either of my brothers' weddings and I don't regret it in the least. (one was 700 miles away and the other was the week we closed on a house 160 miles away and we needed to get it cleaned up to move in.)

I don't feel an obligation to attending weddings. Even weddings of family members obviously. Weddings are over-rated and the waste and amount of money people spend on a "party" make me absolutely sick. I think it makes far more sense to spend that money on a down payment for a house than a big ole party.

That said.. I would not attend this wedding either. A wedding is generally a family event. If the entire family is not invited, including the children in the family, well then I feel I am not welcome either.
#29 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 PM

I would go, and nurse as needed, going to a more quiet area if the baby starts fussing so as not to disrupt the ceremony.

Here's the thing...if you go, you can always leave if need be, and it will probably work out fine. If you don't go, for the rest of his life your brother will have this THING with you- you didn't go to his wedding. It won't matter why or that it was his bride's fault. Don't let her and her family do that to your relationship with your brother. Even though he hasn't been fair either, he's your brother and chances are you're going to want to have some kind of relationship with him in the future. Not going to someone's wedding, especially such a close family member, sends a huge message. A "I'm done with you forever" kind of message. Unless you're prepared to send that kind of message, I would just suck it up and go.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#30 of 48 Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
INot going to someone's wedding, especially such a close family member, sends a huge message. A "I'm done with you forever" kind of message. Unless you're prepared to send that kind of message, I would just suck it up and go.
I also disagree with this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page