For those of you in colder climates... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving from Arizona to Maryland, and plan to be there the first of March. I'm truly not sure what to get in the way of warm clothing for the kidlets....8, 5, and 18mos. We have jeans, sweats, sweaters and turtlenecks & new 'Squall' jackets from Lands End etc...will I still also need snow boots, long underwear and who knows what else? Would layering & a pair of water-resistant shoes be enough? How DO you dress the little ones in wet, snowy, slushy weather? I almost spent a massive amount of $ at Land's End tonight, but thought I'd get a reality check first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 08:02 AM

It's hard to predict how much snow you're going to get. I think water resistant shoes are good to start with, and if it seems like it's going to be a really snowy winter, then go ahead and buy the boots.

I've been in Chicago my whole life, where we have the four seasons all in a day, and I've owned snow boots once. I think (water resistant) hiking types of boots are better to get, you can get more use out of them.

When it's cold, usually for kids, an undershirt, a long sleeve shirt, a sweater and then a jacket is good. And you adjust, according to the weather. So layering is usually enough.

Hats and mittens are key, I think if you're head and hands are warm, you're all warm. By March, you should be out of the really frigid temperatures.

Good luck, and I'm thinking warm thoughts for you.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Banned

We live in southeast Pennsylvania and have friends who moved from AZ to PA a couple of years ago. They were similarly clueless about the cold weather.

The beginning of March is the beginning of the stirrings of spring in this region. You could experience 70 degree weather or you could be treated to a 20" blizzard.

Seriously.

I would highly recommend you get some winter clothing for the kidlets (you should find good sales at gap.com or other retailers because its the end of the season.

I would also recommend getting the gear big and using it next year That will work for the 8 and 5YO but not well for the 8MO.

Hat, mittins, boots, warm jacket. For less severe weather sweater or sweatshirt or fleece. Don't forget pajamas, too. I use long johns for my children because they can double as longjohns when we ski and snowboard.

I guess we'll be petty close geographicly.

Enjoy your new home.

Debra Baker
Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Maryland's not that cold. (I used to live there.) And by March, winter will be over and you probably won't have any more snow or very cold temperatures, so I wouldn't bother with things like long underwear or snow boots. Layering and water-resistant shoes should be just fine for spring, and once you're settled you can ask moms there what they recommend for winter clothes for next winter.

User Tag List