How marijuana helped me through this day... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2002, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O k, yes I took into consideration the other replies to my responce and I can understand some of the comments.I do agree that everybody has a right to an OP.I aslo think that everyone should be able to say what they want (the rights of free speech).I also agree if this topic should come up TOA on this forum is the best place for it.I am sorry for trying to squelch peoples rights to do so.

BUT.....

My point that I am trying to make (and I understand how bad I am at doing it),is...
when you come to the discussion boards here you have a link that will go to TODAYS ACTIVE TOPICS.This is how I (and many others)came across this thread.This function shows ALL topics.I also saw the title of this thread...which clearly stated the name of a drug.I also saw the "VIEWS"and there were almost 1000!Then when the origional topic starter stated that she is a BF ing mommy,and also was a pot smoker,well my feathers got ruffled big time!My point is,if you must talk about the stuff and how it fits into your life,why bring how you feed your baby into it?

Everytime I try to advocate BFing AP ect...I try to direct the subjects here.As do many others.I also do this IRL.So honestly how do you expect these people whom we are trying to convince that our cause is a good one when most mainstreamers are against drugs use of anykind.How are they to take us seriously,when they come here to browse and see this?Take this however you like,I tried my best to explain it in my own typed words.If you have any PERSONAL issues you would like to discuss further please feel free to PM or e-mail me.I dont want to take away from MAMA J and her need for support ant more than I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2002, 12:29 PM

Tobacco is good for some things like "drawing out the hurt," as my mother puts it, of a bee sting. I think I've read of other medicinal uses--anybody know any? I sure wouldn't want to make its growth illegal and risk compromising our ecosystem's biodiversity.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:24 PM

We grow alot of tobacco for personal use. It makes one of the best pesticides. Tobacco has been used medicinally for many many centuries without negative effect to the user. It is the abuse of tobacco that brings the negativity. With all things moderation.

Abusing any substance is unhealthy and toxic for the body. The cigarettes you buy today are an abberation to the traditional tobacco used by the natives. It is like comparing formula to breastmilk.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:04 PM
pie

Blessedx4 I am really offended by your comment to hahamommy.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:31 PM

I truly believe that in a progressive society television/media sycophany would be classified as legitimate addictions! But then again I'm a radical :
http://www.sciam.com/2002/0202issue/0202kubey.html
Like Sarah said, no hate, only the exchange of ideas. We're ALL great moms, no matter what side of the fence we're on. (I'll take the green side!)
Old 04-23-2002, 03:18 PM

bessedx4 I am impressed that you are bowing out, my original post was meant to convey that idea to those who disagreed with her use.
I have to agree with mamapie, tho, as we all have different ways to that and they are all good if it wasn't a good way, we wouldn't get there IMO
charmarty, you have my respect also for just sitting back and thinking about this instead of heatedly coming back at those of us who have disageed with you.
oceanbaby, thank you for backing up my point about "we are out there even if you don't know us"

edited to add...
who said "you're illiteracy is striking"? I am peeing my panties!!!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 03:23 PM
pie

oh I agree... charmarty, you showed much grace
Old 04-23-2002, 03:25 PM

geez...I can't believe I forgot to send warm healing stuff to hahamommy. I wish I could just give you a big hug right now with a "GREAT JOB, YOU!" attached. You embibe strength I only dream of, it is a treasure to read your thoughtful posts.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:02 PM

I am so moved by the strength and courage of the women here and I say hat's off to a woman who knows how to take care of herself. Often that's just getting through to the next round of cleaning and scrubbing and soothing and taxiing. Add in a life trauma or two, or just an ordinary run-of-the-mill addicted and dysfunctional family and I say you'd better take care of yourself. You don't and you'll sink and that's the messed up part for a LOT of kids who don't get the best care possible. I say Thank You to the parents who puff instead of hit. Thank you for Stepping Outside rather than ragging and berating fragile spirits. I, your sister, appreciate and acknowledge you mommies who commune with the mother earth instead of relying on TV or sugar to calm rambunctious children.

This has me thinking, Legalize or Decriminalize? I truly don't consider smoking pot a crime. Why should I? My monkey likes it.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That was really well said FreeMommy! Thank you.

hahamommy, God bless you. I have amazing respect for anyone who steps up when other people can't or won't. You know you are doing what you need to for your family and so do a lot of us. Be well.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:03 PM

Thank you for your kind words and support. Thank you too, to the moms with wisdom and respect
Taking care of ourselves is work enough, I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the fight against ignorance and intolerance.

(P.S. ANYONE who really thinks "mainstreamers are against drugs of any kind" MUST read Dr. Weils book ~ sorry, chocolate really is a drug and I know lots of mainstreamers who drink diet sodas while pregnant and bf ~ study that subject PLEASE before judging us!

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 04-23-2002, 08:21 PM
pie

look at any college, any high school, and any business, and neighborhood... MOST drug users are mainstream. Most PEOPLE are mainstream.

Fight the power mamas, no matter how you do it. Things are not right in this world and that cannot be denied.
Old 04-24-2002, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

WOW this really got heated while I was gone...not my intent at all. I just assumed everyone would realize who I was talking to and JUST MOVE ON if it wasn't them!!!! So no excuses for needing to jump in with the negativity!
Anyway...just for the record the only reason I mentioned breastfeeding is because my monkey would be smoking more often if it weren't for that. And nothing you can say is going to scare me or make me feel like anything but the great mom I am. And man is your head in a hole if you don't think pot is in the mainstream---HELLO!!!!!
All right ...aaaarrrrggghhhh........I can't give that any more time.

I CAN give time to hahamommy...you are as strong as they come, keep on rockin and glowin. Peace and love to you and your life.

And to all the other moms who saw where I was coming from. THANKS
for the support. I feel even better about myself and my abilities to be a good mommy.

I am holding back from really going off, but some of these posts really burned my butt (HAHA )
Luckily there are many intelligent, informed and open minded mammas out there with much to share and that is why I come to these boards. I am sure some of you who don't agree with me here would agree with me on many other things and that is what I have to keep in mind. We are all here to share, discuss and support. So please be sure to read the posts before you jump in and give your opinion.

Yoga, Meditation, MJ, running, sex, cartwheels....I do what I feel is good and right and healthy for me and keeps me balanced so I can continue to be a great mom.

jackie
Old 04-24-2002, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Doggone, I need to find the right kind of chocolate! I know it is supposed to be mood altering, but I've never felt it. Perhaps I'm just not as receptive?
I had a roommate in college who did cocaine twice and said she never felt anything, so she never did it again. I've really been trying to buy chocolate that is reported to be produced without slave labor.

I have to admit that I've never tried pot and wouldn't have the first idea where to buy it. But I'm in Reno now, so maybe it would be easier to find it here than in south OC. Although parts of north OC, hmmm, yes, I guess I could find it there with no problems. I'm just not sure of the etiquette involved in the purchasing. I'm all for making it legal, however.

I went to a party once where people were smoking pot and someone offered me a toke and my friend throwing the party jumped in and said that I didn't do that kind of stuff. I was actually going to try it, but he saved me. Maybe he was just trying to keep more for himself. The weird thing was that I had never said anything to him about it--perhaps my squareness just radiates from my being.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:10 PM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
my monkey has a fat bottom--(chocalate, chocolate, chocolate)

--DeAnna
Old 04-24-2002, 03:40 PM

edited out b/c was in wrong thread
Old 04-24-2002, 03:47 PM

So many of you have already said what I feel, and far more eloquently than I would have said it. I think we know that we aren't all sitting around in a hazy den, stoned out of our minds. Some people can't think of pot smoking any other way. I've never been much of a pot smoker, but I am the child of hippie potsmoking parents. I was always aware of what was going on because it was a normal part of our home and social environment. The kids I grew up with, who's mamas smoked while pregnant, nursing and in the same room, are by and large very intelligent, active, conscious creative people. Probably 2/3 of us do smoke, or did at some point, but I also have to point out that I think that it is significant that a number of us never smoke. Not out of aversion, but I think because there was no mystique and no aspect of it that would have been a rebellion against the control of our parents. We just were never into it.

In this day and age of DARE and the war on drugs it seems less likely that smoking pot would be such a casual, commonplace, open activity in the family. It seems that although pot smoking is much more mainstream, it is also much more secretive and stigmatized. It seems like it would be unfair to younger children to have to keep secrets for the parents in the face of DARE programs at school. Once they get older though, I think this topic is a great one for discussion and learning critical reasoning, free thinking, govt/media brainwashing etc.

I'm off to my playgroup. I'm going to talk about this to my mama friends who do smoke and ask them where they get theirs and find out whether they have considered the whole issue of what they are contributing to in terms of the drug war and the suppliers. Now typing one handed while nursing and losing my train of thought...

Much love and gratitude to all of you mamas who are doing such a great job.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:53 PM

I just had to add that I see a huge difference in a toke and being stoned out of your gourd. I can't pass judgement on someone for having a toke, if I don't pass the same judgement on those who have a glass of wine or pop a Xanax, because in my mind they are the same. I don't have the legality hangup.

Just my opinion, which I felt the need to add to justify that I am not advocating moms get completely stoned or drunk while caring for kids.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:50 AM

Is it safe for us to talk again? I've got Deserving Day #3!
I still have my sister's kid. The family is completly freaking out because I am unwilling to maintain custody of this child (can you imagine?). I FINALLY got the kids knocked out (baby's tummy hurt because her mommy filled her up with babyfood all day! another thread!!!) and my familial nemesis came to the door. We get along lately, thank heavens, but she wants to talk about this baby thing and whoa doggies it got heated, the way only family can do to each other! (baby's mom (bm) promised baby to above mentioned fn, while pregnant, fn wants bm to actually raise this kid (BAD IDEA) or fn wants the baby if I don't but she is incredibly shocked that I: 1) don't want to raise the baby, 2) want her to live with her brothers and their new adoptive family, and 3) I do not think her home is an appropriate setting, nor do I think she should be exposed to members of our family, etc, etc) We looked at each other and decided to Visit the King. We found the wisdom of the King to be incredibly enlightening and soothing. We could see each other's perspectives and able to agree to disagree, for now. We will probably have to have other sessions with the King before the poor child's fate is decided (probably by people other than us) and it will be sad no matter what, but WE don't need to scream and yell at each other about the BS we can't control (like this girl's breeding!!!)

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 04-26-2002, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's ok to talk. But dh found part of this thread I had printed out to read and went paranoid freak-out and wanted me to delete all of my posts to it. Because there are crazies out there and they could come take our kids. I can only hope 'they' have better things to do with their time. I came here to do it but just can't. COME ON!!!! I can't deal with that.

hahamommy
WOW what crazy craziness you are sucked into. As if you don't have enough to deal with on your own. My heart goes out to you. The King can come in handy for situations such as those. Sounds like you are the strongest person around so everyone dumps on you. How are your kids doing through it all, or are they even aware. big hugs to you! I thought about pm'ing you, but probably won't get past this post tonight.

I missed the thread by blesedx4 that was deleted. Would have liked to have checked that out.

We are going camping this weekend which is always a great time for playing, swimming and a short visit with the king.

jackie
Old 04-26-2002, 05:52 PM

mama-j, it was so sad to read your last post! I called my ex and we had a frank discussion about what the possible risks were from this type of online discussion. I have to say that after our discussion I felt that you are in NO danger whatsoever, but I heard about all the legal bs and money and manpower that would have to go into prosecuting someone for what is a misdemeanor!

So anyway pm me if you want my ex's law firm office number. A little reassurance on the topic might make you and dh feel better, and it's free! He said he'd be glad to talk with you for a few minutes. (He is totally committed to protecting people from this kind of oppression and tyranny, as he sees it--through defense attorney glasses!)

If you think you'd rather not, that's ok too. Just an offer.

Have fun camping!!!

And shouldn't it really be the wizard instead of the king?:

Love,

Joy
Old 04-26-2002, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Funny you should say the joyberry! An old friend of mine has had a wizard for years. It looks just like Gandalf. We would occasionally visit the wizard. He cast a very powerful spell but at a very high price.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

THANKYOU JOY

I was already over it and ready to take on anyone who might come to my door. DH can be a little bit over the top sometimes. Man we had a major blow out over that. But just reading your post has put me 100% at ease.

Yes I think wizard is more appropriate. Just going alomg with hahamommy. I've never used either term. Gosh I am so tired I can't talk... i mean type

hahamommy how's it going in world
Old 04-30-2002, 02:37 PM

Funny, I've just gotten everyone used to the Royal Terminology, (crowned, throne, etc) love the Elvis connotations (The King has Entered the building)... I do like the Magical idea, probably more appropriate to it's effect

AH! My life is sooo much calmer after this weekend! Although my family is completely crazy about the baby situation, I'm glad to be "kicked out" of my foster parent role. I went to the Black Hills this weekend to hang out with my Consistent Male Companion, sans the baby, and it was WONDERFUL! We went driving around the mountains on logging roads and over rocks and past creeks (I have never been the "outdoors-type" before, he is introducing all of this to me and my kids ~ it's so cool!). The kids and I had time to explore our soon-to-be new home town and look at places to (and not to) live and what seems fun and where to find the "comforts of home"...
Meanwhile, my sister took the baby and stayed with my parents; I guess they will be there until my sister gets an apartment. My parents are incredibly blind in their support of her. They don't want to lose another grandchild. They are unfortunately alone in their support of her, most everyone (including the aunt in previous post!) knows where that baby is best off... I said every blessing, every spell, every prayer I could over that baby, I sent her away surrounded in my white light. I don't know what's ahead for her, at least she got a week of goodness from us. I think my kids are disappointed not to have come home to her, but it sure is nice to have mommy be just ours again! I've been really honest with them about why she was with us and my hopes for her... they're incredibly insightful after the past few years in our family, especially daddy's illness & death, better than me, they know how to go with the flow; I imagine this is what they have to teach me
Blessings,

Old 05-06-2002, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

diana

glad to hear things are better. My heart is so sad for that baby though...

I like your thoughts on the king tooo

User Tag List