Quite possibly the worst name for a daycare ever, what do you think? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was at the grocery today and stopped to look at the community board where people can post ads for small businesses, events, stuff for sale, etc. Anyhoo, in the services section, I see a poster advertising a new daycare in town (I am assuming it is a house-run day care because the address). I wanted to think that it was a joke, but sadly, I just don't think it was.

In big bold letters it said "Brats R' Us".

Underneath that it said "Where we take care of your brats."

It gave the hours of operation, the pricing per "brat", and the phone number to call.

It just gave me this sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach. I am trying to figure out if this reaction is normal or not. I have just always hated that word and it just really bothered me to see that. What do you think? Would you take your child to a place called "Brats R' Us"?

Note: I didn't place this in the Working parents forum because I am not a working parent. I placed it here because I thought it fit best.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:14 PM

I don't get that kind of "humor" either, and would never take my child to a daycare with a name like that. I can think of a few things that that name might indicate about the caregiver's philosophy on childrearing, and none of them are good.
#3 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

hmm that's an interesting name choice for a day care...my cousin worked at one called chip and dales...LOL...I guess it prob gets a lot of word of mouth business, Brats r us isnt a name you can easily forget

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Maybe they were trying to be funny? Not too funny to me though. I do not like it when I hear kids being called brats....something about that word that just irks me. I hope the person running the daycare doesn't call the children that.

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#5 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

I think they were trying to be funny but I can see your point, it is kind of obnoxious. I doubt they meant it that way but no, I would never bring my kids to a place like that simply becaue I think they carried it a bit too far. Brat r Us is one thing but that should have been it. I don't dislike the word itself though especially since I call my kids that on a regular basis (jokingly of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
So I was at the grocery today and stopped to look at the community board where people can post ads for small businesses, events, stuff for sale, etc. Anyhoo, in the services section, I see a poster advertising a new daycare in town (I am assuming it is a house-run day care because the address). I wanted to think that it was a joke, but sadly, I just don't think it was.

In big bold letters it said "Brats R' Us".

Underneath that it said "Where we take care of your brats."

It gave the hours of operation, the pricing per "brat", and the phone number to call.

It just gave me this sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach. I am trying to figure out if this reaction is normal or not. I have just always hated that word and it just really bothered me to see that. What do you think? Would you take your child to a place called "Brats R' Us"?

Note: I didn't place this in the Working parents forum because I am not a working parent. I placed it here because I thought it fit best.
#6 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:18 PM

I don't like it, but then the Bratz dolls are extremely popular so : ?

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#7 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

thats pretty terrible.

i saw one in the paper here but i dont think they meant it the way i took it... its called "little britches".

#8 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

OK, I am really really reaching here. Could they possibly be talking about anything else and not children????

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Yeah, not a good name. There's a daycare near me called Baby Farm which I also think is a crappy name.

Mama of three.

#10 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
OK, I am really really reaching here. Could they possibly be talking about anything else and not children????
I just don't think so. The poster had little clip art pictures of crayons, pictures of the sun, a playset, etc. It was printed in multicolored lettering that was meant to look like a child wrote it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#11 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 PM

I absolutely HATE anti-child sentiments either said in jest or seriousness. It makes my blood boil when people talk about how they ruin your life and make their kids wear stupid cliched clothes saying things like 'little monster' or 'it wasn't me' and the like. Then people wonder why their children don't behave decently when they've joked about what little sh*ts they were since they were born. Why is it that the only group of people we are still refusing to respect are our children. Maybe I seem OTT but I think the joking about children being horrors actually contributes to a much deeper and real truth about an overall selfish and hedonistic adult society that we can see around us.
#12 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

PS. That wasn't meant aggressively to anyone who might make sentiments like that to their chidlets. It's just something I think is underestimated in its damagingness
#13 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM

I think it's bad, but it make me think of brats(like brautwurst, lol).

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#14 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Is it on an Army base?

Not that I would send my kids there even if it was, but you know, "army brat" and all that.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#15 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Is it on an Army base?

Not that I would send my kids there even if it was, but you know, "army brat" and all that.
No. No army bases around here at all.

I don't know, I guess I just don't like the word (bad memories from my past) and it struck a cord.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#16 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yeah, I don't like that either.

We drove past a nursing home once called Journey's End.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#17 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 04:09 PM

I guess it beats "Molesters R' Us," but only barely. I'd much rather see an overly-cutesy name like "Lovin' Care" than I would the "humor" in calling kids "brats." And how would you explain that to a child (assuming one's daycare-using child learns to read before starting kindergarten, as many do)? My child knows the word "brat" because, I admit it, I once referred to another child that way. : (My dd heard me say it; the misbehaving child was miles and days away by then.) She would be horrified if I or her care provider was calling her a "brat" - and kids' senses of humor wouldn't catch the (alleged) humor.

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#18 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Yeah, I don't like that either.

We drove past a nursing home once called Journey's End.
Geez...how depressing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasons View Post
I guess it beats "Molesters R' Us," but only barely. I'd much rather see an overly-cutesy name like "Lovin' Care" than I would the "humor" in calling kids "brats." And how would you explain that to a child (assuming one's daycare-using child learns to read before starting kindergarten, as many do)? My child knows the word "brat" because, I admit it, I once referred to another child that way. : (My dd heard me say it; the misbehaving child was miles and days away by then.) She would be horrified if I or her care provider was calling her a "brat" - and kids' senses of humor wouldn't catch the (alleged) humor.
Yeah, I am the same way. I just don't see the humor in it.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#19 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM

An attempt at humor gone wrong!

My old neighbor used to call his son a "turd" and it drove me nuts...

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#20 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM

I run into this being a military spouse. My kid is 17 and I still correct people when they refer to him as a "military brat."

It really bothers me. Although I should also point out that some military kids use the name as a point of pride and I would never correct one of them. That's their decision. I'm just speaking of people who barely know us and who have no connection to the military.
#21 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Definitely not a name I would ever chose. Wondering if the children are referred to as brats while there. I do not like that at all. I've never called K one and no one else better.

That said, my brother went to a daycare center that was named The Other Mother. My Mother did not like that name at all-but it was a good center otherwise.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
#22 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM

I would not be calling Brats R Us to ask for more info.

I saw a daycare this weekend called Jonestown Day Care, which I thought was pretty unfortunate. I guess a Jonestown Day Care in a community named Jonestown would be okay, but that is not the case here.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#23 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisbirdwillfly View Post
I run into this being a military spouse. My kid is 17 and I still correct people when they refer to him as a "military brat."

It really bothers me. Although I should also point out that some military kids use the name as a point of pride and I would never correct one of them. That's their decision. I'm just speaking of people who barely know us and who have no connection to the military.
I thought it was only the army who (supposedly) had brats, other people had other things? I guess I should refer to the military thread.

Interesting because DH just joined active duty and I noticed that the Army never seems to refer to the kids as "brats" not even on informal literature or in non-official groups, so probably a lot of people feel the way you do. I was kind of worried about it.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#24 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM

I agree those words are not funny. I personally believe that when we use words that are demeaning in any way to our children, even in jest, it affects the way they view themselves and their self-worth. I try and always use uplifting words, and even if they are misbehaving I do my best to talk about the behavior being inappropriate vs. telling them they are something such as "brat" ect.
#25 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

My word.

When I saw this thread title, I was thinking of a couple of daycares that have iffy names -- Candyland Daycare, Mr. Cakes Daycare....but they aren't even in the same league as Brats-R-Us.
#26 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I just had a mom of two tell me both her kids are "horrible. She's horrible. Actually, they're both horrible...." Then she laughed. All of this while they were sitting right there. Maybe she's the target market?
#27 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#28 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM

There is no way I would ever send my child to a daycare with that name. I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving DD with someone who finds humor in calling children brats. I wonder what else this person feels is acceptable.
#29 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM

Wow...that's a godawful name for a daycare. I double dog dare you to call and see how many openings she has.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#30 of 63 Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Good grief. How insulting to LO's!! As soon as I read the name, a huge WTH, came over me!!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page