Does your DH own a suit? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Does your DH or DP own a suit?
Yes, a real suit 161 70.93%
Well, a cheap-ish sports jacket at least 18 7.93%
No, shirt and tie at the most 48 21.15%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#62 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My husband wears a dress shirt and a tie when he needs to dress up. Never been to court or business dinners. He's an associate sales manager and his everyday is polo or dress shirt and dress pants, and work gives him the shirts. The last wedding he went to he wore a kilt...he was in the wedding party and all the guys wore them. He rented a tux for our wedding. We've not been to a funeral, we live far from extended family so when they pass away we can't be there. So far we have never had to buy him a suit, certainly couldn't justify paying $100 to $200 on one outfit! My nicest outfits only cost $10, his are like $30.
#63 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I voted no.. but I am the one that said most men I know don't own suits. Maybe you should have added where people live since it seems to be more predominate on the east coast to own one.
We are in Oregon.
I agree!! I voted no. We live in the AZ where it can be as hot as 116 degrees in the summer and even today we're over 100 in my city! Dh owns a business (80% sales over internet, rest walk-in) and he wears polo shirts (knit) and long shorts almost everyday.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#64 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, we keep a nice suit for dh, mostly for funerals and weddings. He also owns a tux because it seemed more sensible to collect the pieces than rent one each time we needed one.
#65 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM

I think so...

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#66 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM

No actual suit. A couple of jackets that can co-ordinate over dressy slacks if need be, for special occasions. His work just doesn't require suits.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#67 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Several well tailored suits from the days when they still expected the IT guys in financial companies to wear suits. Nowadays he mostly only wears them for interviews or weddings, but at least they are there.

I must say, he wears a suit very well, cufflinks and all, and looks poised and comfortable in it. So often I go to weddings and most of the men look SO uncomfortable in their suits
#68 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM

A nice suit.

2 pairs of slacks.

A blazer.

Multiple dress shirts and ties.

A tuxedo.

His work does not require suits. Just chinos and a polo.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#69 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
See, I was in Ashland, where dressed up meant no tie-dye.
Don't tell my DH that tie dye isn't dressed up. I think he would argue with you.
Dh has a very nice classic suit. Tons of slacks, tons of ties, tons of dress shirts. A few sports coats.
He works at the Honda factory and wears a uniform. Everyone wears a uniform at the Honda factory even the big executives so he'll never need his dress clothes but they are nice to have just in case.
#70 of 104 Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM

One suit for weddings, funerals, job interviews, corporate holiday parties, etc. He doesn't wear suits to work so it doesn't make sense to have more than one.

Mom to (5) (9)
#71 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 05:33 PM

DH and I both have a couple of real suits and we each have one Tux from out wedding.

ETA: DD has a suit too that she made for herself.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#72 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes, he's got one nice very dark blue/black number with subtle pinstripes and also nice sport coat. It may be the one he wore to our wedding. I'm not sure. His dress shoes for the wedding came from the thrift store. He's worn the suit for funerals and job interviews and weddings. He's also worn the sport coat, slacks, and a dress shirt and tie for the same. He has several decent dress shirts and about 6 or 8 different ties. We're in NC. It gets hot here, too (100+ in the summer with high humidity), but I think most men here have suits, or at least a sport coat.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#73 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 PM

I don't think the difference is heat... but more cultural.

And LA might be part of the west.. but it is completely different from other places. It has it's own rules.
#74 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Yep, he owns one nice suit.

...not that I believe it fits him anymore.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#75 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 PM

DH owns a few suits. He works in finance and although daily it is buisness casual he does from time to time have meetings that require a suit. He also owns his own tux. The year we got together actually we had 5 black tie weddings to go to so he ended up buying one. I have to say I really dig on the way he looks in a suit. It isn't that often but I love it. Wierd because he a suuuuuper laid back casual guy, very unlike the picture one gets when they think of someone who works in finance.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#76 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Not one. Not even a dress shirt and tie. Or pants with a crease in them.

I've never seen him wearing anything that could be construed as professional or formal wear. Not even to our wedding

Seriously-
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...65254_7947.jpg

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#77 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM

for the record, he bought that shirt at goodwill the day before our wedding and donated it back the next day, LOL

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#78 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 PM

No, he does not own a suit. He never has owned one the entire time I've known him. He owned a tie long enough to wear for our 'wedding ceremony' and returned it to Fred Meyer the next day.

His job involves working on cars so his job would never require he wear a suit.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#79 of 104 Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 PM

Nope, no suit. Dh has never owned a suit, and probably never will. He's never owned a tie either. He wears a uniform to work, and we are super casual people. I think he owns a dress shirt, a dark grey one that could be paired with dark pants for a funeral, and he has a couple of polo shirts that get paired with nice pants for weddings. We don't know anyone that would have a real formal wedding, if we did, dh would probably refuse to go.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#80 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 12:13 AM

I had to ask DH. He thinks he has between two and three. (His answer was "Don't I go to weddings?")

He has at least two sports jackets. And we bought a suit with a vest in college, but I think it's way too big for him now. Actually, that might be the only actual dress suit we bought all together. His other nice outfits are dress pants, shirts, ties, and sports jackets which can all be mixed and matched.

Anyhow, his daily attire consists of a tshirt or polo and non-baggy jeans (slender, skinny, not stovepipe). In cooler weather, he adds a casual, longsleeve shirt (stays open). And he wears henleys underneath come winter.

He telecommutes. When he worked in an office, he had nice dress shirts (but almost all of them were in deep jewel tones) and black flat-front dockers.

One of these days I'm getting him a nice seersucker suit.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#81 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Yep, he owns one nice suit.

...not that I believe it fits him anymore.
That is what I was thinking too.

He also has a few sports coats, slacks, and a tie collection, but I think his suit might need a few pounds before it fits properly again. (and I would rather he wear a sports coat and tie than an ill fitting suit).

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#82 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 08:20 AM

My husband has the one he wore to our wedding, however that one is now too small :s

Other than that no, no suits. He has shirts and ties, but he is a carpenter, so the occassional wedding is all he really dresses up for. We're pretty casual on dates and such....
#83 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 12:43 PM

My husband doesn't have a real suit. He has his dress blues for the military which is what he wore to our wedding and his brothers wedding. Other than that he really hasn't ever even had a situation to have to wear one. He's never been to a funeral. This fact is so strange to me because I've been to many funerals growing up. He'd never been to a wedding before ours either lol.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#84 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 PM

dh doesnt own a suir OR a tie. he rented one for our wedding and when we go to weddings he wears a pair of black pants and a dress shirt.
#85 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Just sayin'...

for those of you that have a suit around for "weddings" PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT wear black to a Filipino wedding.. it is bad luck and seen as almost an insult if you do.

This is in response to several posts I read, not anyone in particular..
#86 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 01:31 PM

My husband owns a bunch of suits, but he has to wear one to work a few times a week, plus social events with his job! He even owns his own tux!!!

When I was growing up, in a blue collar family, everyone had one or two suits, they were usually reserved for weddings, funerals, and major holidays at church like easter and christmas.

Before my husband got this job and worked in the trucking industry, he had one cheapie suit. We had to scrounge to buy his first suit for this job and he still has it and sometimes will wear it!
#87 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 01:33 PM

No, the most he wears is a jacket and tie

He's a college professor
#88 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 PM

My husband has a few suits and a bunch of ties but I can't remember the last time he wore a suit and tie. Usually he'll wear a t-shirt with a suit, or jeans and a T with a suit jacket. He wore a Cat Power t-shirt with a cream colored suit to our wedding and it was hot.
If women want tailored clothes, buy handmade! My favorite dress came from Etsy and was made to my measurements.
#89 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Yes, he does. He mostly wears it to Chuch Holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) and family holiday gatherings. It also comes in handy for job interviews!

Mama of three.

#90 of 104 Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM

NOPE! He has to wear a black tie and white shirt, black pants to work (management at a grocery store) but no jacket and I can only count twice he has even attempted to dress up in the 3 years we have been together, both for weddings.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page