Does your partner work in computers? Do you worry he won't have a job next week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do. Does anyone feel comfortable that their husband has a high tech job? My husband is our sole source of income and he just graduated form school and got a job within two months doing technical support. We feel so lucky. I just worry. Is their a future in this field? It all seems so bleak with lay-offs and outsourcing jobs etc. I just want to be able to stay home with my children more than anything in this world, and of course for my husband to be happy. It just seems like, if he were to get laid off from his job, their would be no more tech jobs available.

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 02:14 AM

DH's wonderful, solid, software developer/architect job, which held up through all the industry layoffs over the years, is probably going "poof!" in a few months.

I lost my job in August 2002 but we made adjustments and I've been a mostly SAHM, finally getting back into freelance writing. MY income we could lose. DH's we CANNOT.

He works for a HUGE multinational company that has been strong through the down economy. But not now...

So, um, I don't think there's true job security ANYWHERE these days. I'm glad we've lived below our means, because we have about 6-9 months savings in the bank. If nothing else, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
#3 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 02:17 AM

Well, our future is very bleak. My Dh has worked in IT for 8 years and recently got laid off. He's been looking for a job for 3 months now with virtually no prospects. The field is FLOODED with IT workers with no jobs.
#4 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 03:49 AM

My dh is in IT, and we have thanked our lucky stars that he made the choice he did 5 years ago. He was working for headhunters, making big bucks with assignments that would last 3-6 months. He had one with Wells Fargo that lasted almost 2 years. When that ended, he wanted to look for a permanent job because he was tired of the constant hype of contractor work. He was offered two: One was for over $100k a year with yet another bank, in an uptight environment, wear a tie, ask for the key to the office supply cabinet, sit in a windowless cube, etc. etc. The other was for less money, but for a wonderful non-profit, great working environment, very family friendly, etc. He chose the non-profit, and has been there ever since.

All his other IT friends spent up to almost a year without work when the big crash happened, and we have literally said "thank you" to whatever higher power was in play when he decided to take this job. They have never in their history (since the 1940's) had a layoff, and it doesn't look like they will anytime soon. I mean, they've had some cuts - our medical insurance rates went up, dh didn't get a raise one year (no one did), they don't pay for our DSL anymroe, and a few other irritating things like that. But man, if he had taken the bank job, he would've been out of work and we would've been SOL.

I still sometimes worry about what if something happened to that job, but dh feels pretty secure there, so for now we seem to be okay.
#5 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 03:58 AM

DH lost his tech job in the spring of 2002 and hasn't found one in the industry yet. That said, he was "lured" out of college by a company, so he never actually finished his degree.

My father worked for a tech company for 16 years and was recently laid off. He's so depressed and is 60 and doesn't have enough money for retirement yet. It's so sad.

But my brothers (they're twins) both work for IBM and have survived bout after bout of layoffs.

So, it's tough for some, but not entirely hopeless!

Best of luck and

Susan
#6 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 03:59 AM

My DH is in IT also. He's an independent contractor, so he not only has to do his regular IT stuff but he has to market himself as well. How I feel about it depend on the day.

One day I wake up and I'm scared to death. I worry that he won't get any new clients and we'll lose our house. I worry that I'll have to go back to work full time. I'm actually starting back to work part time just to alleviate that stress - we have enough to get by, but the stress was making me a real biotch at times.

Other days I wake up and I thank the heavens above for his job. For the past 10 months, we've BOTH been at home with Jackson. I can't imagine a better situation to raise a child in - I get to stay home and play with the baby all day, DH gets to work from home and be here to enjoy Jackson too. Plus he watches J while I get a shower!

The tech industry is shifty, but it isn't going away. There will always be jobs. As long as he is able to learn as much as he can in each job and increase his knowledge base he'll be able to find work. They may not always be the high-paying jobs, but you'll never go hungry.
#7 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 04:22 AM

Add me to the bunch. Is it bad when the fellas are hoping to be laid off and get severence instead of having to quit because the environment is so bad? They think everyone is replacable because of the job market. They are telling him to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week until march, on salary. Jerks.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#8 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 05:05 AM

My DH is a techie too. For now I'm not worried about him losing his job. He has made himself very valuable to his team, and his company has actually been hiring recently. I think about it though.
#9 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 12:09 PM

You know, since my DH is always swamped at work, I'm not too nervous about that sort of thing. Of course, I always hope we'll get into something that makes us enough money so I can stay home with the munchkin butts all the time.
#10 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 12:30 PM

my dh is always swamped at work

but the company hasn't given a single raise in three years

health insurance costs manage to keep increasing though

it also really pisses ;me off that we pay massachusett state taxes because that is where he works; we pay THOUSANDS to them and get about $200 back. taxation without representation, sweet deal for them

i actually was talking ot dh last night, i ndidnt know we spent about $2400 a year for health insurance. we could have easily covered dd's physical and the chiropractor bills on that so maybe we should consider dropping it. but its so scary "just in case" something big comes along (ie dh has a heart attack or dd gets pneumonia etc.)

i know the market is wicked tightg; yet at the same time i havent seen dh do anything to change his skill set in the last five years or so. i would so be pushing for paid classes!!!! expand the resume to get you into more things

he knows one thing better than like anyone else does since he's done it for 20+ years; but people need more than that

like hello - java? websites are here to stay, wouldnt hurt to know java

i guess he's too reactionary - he's got a job so why bother changing anything; its when he ends up out of work that he p&m's about not having enough

#11 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks for all the replies. I am so thankful that my husband has a job and he likes it too. He just survived (I think) this big reorganization of his department. He works for Washington Mutual. They treat him well, give him good bonuses and raises. It isn't a lot of money, in fact I think most people could not live on what we manage to scrape by on. He only has a two year degree but is going back to school in the Fall. I am starting to think, however, that he should get into teaching. There will always be a need for teachers and while it pays diddly, I think we could make it work. HUgs, Michelle

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#12 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh is in college to get a BS in IT. I'm very worried. But it's what he truly loves. I don't want to force him to make choices about schooling and what he wants to do with his life to be something he won't like. But I'm so very VERY worried about him getting a job after all of this.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#13 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 06:00 PM

T

LdyBluNH@aol, rather than going without insurance, you could look into a plan that only covers major medical and not all the office visits, etc. It would be MUCH cheaper, and you wouldn't have to worry about those "what ifs". My DH has this type of insurance and only pays $35/month for it.
#14 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 PM

dh got laid off from an IT job last July, with no job prospects to speak of yet. He didn't have his degree yet, so he has gone back to school, but I am a little worried since he is finishing his Computer Science degree, but that is what he loves, so I just hope he is able to find something when he completes his degree. At least he will have a BS, and that will put him in a much better position in this competetive market.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#15 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 PM

DH works in computers (he is a software engineer/programmer) and luckily has a job he loves with good security and excellent benifits (wonderful insurance paid for our homebirth...).

We have been very lucky. He had three offers out of school. He picked his favorite and we have truly been blessed. I am not really worried because:

1) It wouldn't help
2) I really do think "computers" are going to be long term secure

#16 of 30 Old 02-07-2004, 11:27 PM

Survived 7 rounds of layoffs here. Now we are so used to it, I don't think I'll bother to get worked up if it happens again. I went thruogh a stage of watching the clock each morning, expecting him to walk back in having been laid off.

I used to get fed up about pay cuts each quarter, but now, a pay cut seems like we got off lightly. :

But we have food on the table and healthy children, so I feel truly blessed.
#17 of 30 Old 02-08-2004, 12:55 AM

There is a good article in Wired about outsourcing of IT jobs to India. We just survived 6 months of being laid off thanks to saving 6 months salary ahead of time. I recommend it if you can find any way to save.

And for what it is worth, dh was offered a promotion a month before he was laid off (they also hired a bunch of new people), then 2 months after he was laid off the person who laid him off was laid off. So don't get comfortable. Protect yourself.
#18 of 30 Old 02-08-2004, 03:12 AM

Dh is a techie and seems to have a very secure job with the largest tech company in the world but you never know. We keep 5 months salary in savings just in case - I think we should make it more like 6-8 months but that's the best we could do for now.

I worry about outsourcing also. But Dh is getting his master's now and moving more into management so that shoud help.

I love the life that DH's job provides us - I get to stay home with ds. I pray everyday that he gets to work with this company until retirement. It can happen!
#19 of 30 Old 02-08-2004, 03:25 AM

if you are in austin, texasuz, tennesseesuse hears you loud and clear, lol. it's a pretty good company. but one always worries a little.

they are interviewing for dh's job... i choose to think that means promotion

it does seem to be location a lot, doesn't it? there weren't jobs here before this co got here, that's for sure. temp jobs on the road were the best he could do. but it's looking up now. i'm content.

suse
#20 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 09:31 AM

Add us to the list too. Dh works for a software company - started in Q/A, moved to support, then senior support and is now doing doumentation/technical writing. He has no formal computer training or certification - is as self taught "computer geek", so if he loses his job - he'll have a very hard time getting another one as the market is flooded right now with with IT people and certification or a degree seems to be just the minimum to get an interview. The company he works for has done 4 rounds of layoffs in 6 months. At least from his employers perspective - he's cheaper to keep than some of the people that are now gone - as he doesn't have the qualificaons to get the higher salaries. The job he is doing now, he got moved to after someone else left and he doesn't get paid near what the previous person did - but at least he's GOT a job.

single mama to 5 (12.5, 11, 10, and 8 year old twins)

#21 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 12:03 PM

well, i know my mil does technical writing in minnasota, so if he gets laid off, there is apparently work there...

suse
#22 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 05:09 PM

Totally off Topic!

CherylE, I noticed you are about to have 5 kids under the age of 5! Oh my! I would loose my mind for sure! How do you do it? I hope you have family and others for support when the twins come! You are a wonder woman in my book!
#23 of 30 Old 02-09-2004, 07:56 PM

I may be way off base here, but maybe techie husbands can look for IT work in non-technical companies? I know that sounds funny, but what I mean is to work in the IT departments of highly automated (manufacturing) environments that rely heavily on IT, but where IT is not their main focus.

Why I say this is because I am on a leave of absence for 3 years from a pharmaceutical company and they have often asked me to come back to work early. I am off for 3 years total, it's been 2 already, and they seem somewhat desperate to have more people in IT.

On the flip side, for those of you who have husbands that my be interested in advanced degrees... my own dh is a professor of computer science (Computer Vision and Augmented Reality are his research focuses) and his job is iron-clad because of tenure. But from what he has been telling me, techinical academia is somewhat desperate for good entry-level professors. I guess although the IT industry is flooded, academia needs good professors. Just some thoughts. Good luck!!!
#24 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM

Well, he used to. He got downsized three times in two years. Found a decent job, that had a not so great commute, but with livable money. Then came 9/11. By the end of October that year, he was unemployed. Dh tried very hard to find another job but starting running into the problem where he would be the oldest one they were interviewing. He had amazing skills and great experience including managerial, but he thinks that it was because he had a family help support and that he was older that they hired other candidates. He always made the top two candidates. It is hard to compete against some fresh out of school kid who is willing to do the same job for $25,000.

He decided to go back to school and is now a teacher who is certified in math and biology.

I only have two friends outside of the university where I work who has managed to maintain their IT jobs.
#25 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM

When dd was born 2.5 years ago, dh was working for a semiconductor company doing QA as well as computer support and signing up for an MCSE certification class.

We had planned on me going back to work to build up a little more savings for a down payment on a house, buy a house, get pregnant with #2 and then I would stay home... That didn't work out.

I went back to work when dd was 3mo, the week before I returned, dh's company announced they were closing down his site in July of 2002. Dh was lucky that he was in one of the last groups to leave, and he got a decent severence package.

We weren't too worried. Dh had completed his MCSE certification (work paid for it!) and we had his severence package which bumped up our savings account considerably. All we had to do is find an IT job for him and we were ready to go.

Well...1.5yrs later dh still has no job. His unemployment has run out (in November) and the contract jobs are few and far between. We finished wiping out the last of the savings account in December to pay bills.

sigh

We THINK dh qualifies for unemployment again based on the amount of contract jobs he had off and on last year. My salary just isn't enough to cover everything. We aren't destitute...but it's getting to the point that it's hard to pay the bills.

We are in Philly and I guess the IT market really sucks here. Dh goes on a few interviews a month....but nothing has panned out the way we had hoped.

So am I worried.....YUP!

Christine
#26 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 05:31 PM

My dh lost his job after 9/11 and it took 10 mos. for him to find another. It's a great job, but I still worry all the time. In these times, who doesn't?
#27 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM

My dh is a programmer and we just found out that he can accept a relocation to New Jersey or lose his job in Seattle. Programmers are not in short supply here and we know of too many people who have been out of work for months and months. Dh is currently getting his mba so he can move out of the programming world.
#28 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow! I had no idea so many of us were married to computer geeks! My dh is a programmer and head of IT for large farm supply company. It is family owned (his family) so I know he will have a job for as long as we have farmers .
My dh is also self taught. He has his MCSE and cisco systems certification, but no formal education, so if anything ever happens and he loses his job, we are S.O.L.

I second velochic's reccomendation to be sure and look for jobs outside of the IT world. Almost every company uses computer now and they all need people to fix them.

Good luck and s

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#29 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just worry. Is their a future in this field? It all seems so bleak with lay-offs and outsourcing jobs etc. I just want to be able to stay home with my children more than anything in this world, and of course for my husband to be happy.
Just tell you husband to learn as much as he can. In this case, learning a little about a lot is crucial. That way he will be more marketable. Also, I think you are in an area of the country where IT jobs are being cut faster than they are in other parts. I mean, they're being cut everywhere, but the pacific northwest is not the "hot" spot for IT at the moment, if there is one at all. A lot of the companies have pulled out of the PNW and No. California and moved to Atlanta, Boston, and other areas in the East. I know at least in Boston there are IT jobs, as well as in Virginia (No. Virginia, Richmond, and Tidewater), Atlanta, Charlotte, NC.

I don't think IT is going anywhere, so I think it's a safe field to be in. I just think it's very susceptible to economic flutuations. I'd just recommend that he take classes, read, learn, make himself more marketable.
#30 of 30 Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
techinical academia is somewhat desperate for good entry-level professors.
That is very good to hear.

Dh is internet security for medium sized city. That's it, he's the entire security department for that city. So he is very valuable. They love him, he's reliable and really knows his stuff. He's not an employee. He's a contractor, so he gets paid $10,000 to $30,000 a year more than employees in similar jobs (because that's what he charges and they know he's worth it).

But- every 5 to 10 months the IS dept scrambles to put together a proposal to get the City Council to authorized his position again. It's a bit alarming when you know there's a hiring freeze and there are guys with 5 years of experience and BS degrees out there taking entry level jobs. The CIO would like to hire him permanently, and he and I both would like that very much. Once you get hired with the city you pretty much don't get fired unless you screw up majorly.

In any case, if he takes a permanent job it's going to mean a big cut in pay. I'll need to go back to work, which is fine, I guess. Actually it would suck; I really like doing the full time mom thing.

Dh has mentioned the teaching idea now and again.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page