Anyone recommend auto insurance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a particular company? I'm looking to lower our monthly premiums. I'm going to get quotes from geico and progressive...but am wondering if we needed them, how good are they really. (Or any other company someone might suggest)
So, anyone got any insight?
TIA!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#2 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee View Post
Can anyone recommend a particular company? I'm looking to lower our monthly premiums. I'm going to get quotes from geico and progressive...but am wondering if we needed them, how good are they really. (Or any other company someone might suggest)
So, anyone got any insight?
TIA!
we used to be with progressive, but we actually switched to a "big company" with an agent and ended up saving like $200 per month at least, and got WAY better coverage. the customer service was nice, until you asked them why they couldnt lower your rates... when all the other companies would!

we use Allstate, have fantastic coverage, and pay like $115 per month or something (maybe less!) for full coverage on 2 relatively new, mid-range vehicles. we have a low deductible ($100), accident forgiveness, safe driver rewards bi-annually, (just got a check for $36 in the mail last week) and we get a discount bc we have our homeowners through them as well. we do have good driving records, though, and excellent credit. i think that helps, but isnt required to get good, affordable coverage. nationwide just started offering accident forgiveness, too, and maybe "deductible rewards."
OK, i work in insurance, so some of this is verbose- sorry... if you already know all there is to know about insurance skip this part...!

do you also have a need for renters/homeowners insurance, or any other kind? an umbrella policy, etc..? you can usually get a discount if you have multiple policies with one company.

your ins premium will depend a lot on your state of residence as well as your driving record, number of licensed drivers vs number of cars, and sometimes even miles driven per year. Progressive and Geico dont usually offer discounts for a "lower mileage" policy. my car is insured for a "lower mileage" type of driver, since my commmute is only 10 mi round trip per day. an allstate or state farm type company would be able to help you get the maximum number of discounts that some of the other "value" companies might not offer as readily.

This is something else that an agent could help you with.

again, depends on so many things though.

i LOVE allstate, and they were great when someone rear-ended me without insurance, too. highly recommend.

no, i dont work for allstate!

the nice thing about calling around is that you can get a feel for whether or not you trust someone... it's important when they handle that part of your financial life! you can always shop around, but changing insurance companies often can look shady, and may ultimately cause rate increases. insurance companies like stable, responsible, etc... lower risk=lower premium.

if you're confused about any insurance terms, feel free to PM me, and i could try to help... there are also some good neutral websites that provide info about terminology and what to look for.

a good agent will help you determine the best choice for a deductible on your comp/collision coverage, so you dont take a huge financial hit if you have to make a claim or have a total loss.

ok, that's it for now... GL in your search.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#3 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Allstate.
#4 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM

I've been with State Farm since 1991 when I first got a car when I graduated from college and have never had any issues.

lady.gif
#5 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 06:49 PM
MCR

We have Allstate too. $1200 a year for 4 cars and three drivers
#6 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM

When we were living in the US and needed car insurance DH asked the service centre that took care of our car which insurance company they liked dealing with. They said that State Farm was the best by far... as in they were least likely to argue claims, or refuse to pay for parts that their mechanic said needed replacing, etc.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#7 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Allstate. I've had them for 20 years and we currently pay 80 dollars for two drivers/two cars with full coverage. One car is new and the other is 7 years old- both have full coverage with 250/100 deductibles. We have good driving records, excellent credit and a discount for having homeowners with them (not sure how much this plays into the rate).

I have had to make a couple of claims over the years and have been pleased with their service.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#8 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 AM

Infinity

We pay $304 for a six month premium. We only have one car but DP does have a suspension on his record.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#9 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 AM

Any military officers in the family (yourself, partner, parent)? If so, USAA. Otherwise, Geico.

Geico is a direct writer so they have less overhead because they're not paying out as much for local agents. Rates are often cheaper for that reason.

If you have activity on your record (tickets, accidents) then Geico might not hold as much savings.

You might also want to visit http://www.jdpower.com (consumer review site) to see how the various companies compare.
#10 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddleMama View Post
Any military officers in the family (yourself, partner, parent)? If so, USAA.
We use USAA. I just want to mention that enlisted people can use USAA, too...not just officers.
#11 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 01:18 AM

we use usaa too. theyre great to work with

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#12 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 02:29 AM

We use State Farm.

We were with Allstate for a while, but since I had a "lapse" in coverage (our van burned up - no claim filed but we had no vehicle to insure, thus needed no insurance) for a few months they wanted to jack our rates up because we were considered "risky".

They wanted to charge me $700 more than State Farm!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 AM

State Farm, hands down.

We went to Geico many years ago and while it was a bit cheaper, they dropped us with no notice for something that had happened years before to DH and he had been TOLD not to report it and it was a minor infraction. He had completely forgotten about it so didn't mention it when he signed up.

We hate Geico and went right back to State Farm.

Jenn
#14 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We switched from 21st Century (which was owned by AIG -- ugh) to AAA last year and have been happy with them. Our payment went way down -- our annual rate with AAA is only a little more than our 6-month rate was with 21st Century!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#15 of 16 Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 AM

USAA.

The problem I have with big name insurance that have offices and agents all over is that no matter how much you like your agent, no matter how responsive they are....if you have a claim, they can't help you. You are then dealing with the "claims department" who are people who you've never met and have no relationship with. And if you have questions about how a claim is being handled, your agent can't really help you because you will probably be asking questions that they will classify as "legal" and they can't give you "legal" advice....so in the end, you are dealing with strangers who can't or won't advise you. The nice smiling agent is just a chipper sales person - and not there to do anything beyond selling you a product.

My husband is in the reserves and is elegible for USAA coverage. They have been very good to us and they saved us about $600 a year in premiums on the cars we insure.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#16 of 16 Old 09-21-2009, 04:09 AM

OMG! I am calling Allstate. I think we are getting ripped off! we have full coverage on one car and liability on the other. One is a 99' Corolla and the other is a 97" Camry. We pay $118.00 per month for both for 11 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page