Locks of Love - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give it to me straight: Good? Bad? Ugly? I know I've read some not-so-good things about them but can't find the threads after doing a search. My sixteen year old wants to donate her hair. She has absolutely glorious hair. It's naturally blonde, thick as a horse's tail and naturally curly. The kind of curls that are thick ringlets all over her head. Her hair is between her shoulders and she is tired of the weight and wants to donate it. If that's her decision then I want her hair to go somewhere where it will be used and given to someone who needs it and not sold. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

The sea monkey has my money.

#2 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 PM

I've heard good things about Pantene's program.

http://pantene.com/en-US/article/req..._donating.jspx

I have donated to Locks of Love in the past as well.

Live and love with your whole being.
#3 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM

I used to donate to Locks of Love, but quit after hearing some bad things about them. Now I donate to Pantene.
#4 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

I did Locks of Love for charity after I had my first baby. We auctioned it off & split it between my charity & locks of love. The best hairdresser in town auctioned it off & gave me a fabulous haircut after. I got $75. Not bad.

Afterwards, I heard some not so good things about Locks of Love. It's not 100% charity, b/c some families may have to pay. And it's not just for cancer patients, but most of the hair goes to kids who have a hairloss disorder.

It made me feel good, and I'm sure the hair went to someone in need. If I was to do it in the future though, I'd probably choose a different charity specifically for cancer survivors. Simply b/c I thought that's what it was for in the first place.
#5 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
I did Locks of Love for charity after I had my first baby. We auctioned it off & split it between my charity & locks of love. The best hairdresser in town auctioned it off & gave me a fabulous haircut after. I got $75. Not bad.

You must have some really nice hair!
#6 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Afterwards, I heard some not so good things about Locks of Love. It's not 100% charity, b/c some families may have to pay. And it's not just for cancer patients, but most of the hair goes to kids who have a hairloss disorder.

There is an application on their website asking to see the recipients tax forms. Maybe that's common place in order to weed out the dishonest folks, I don't know. I do know if they are charging sick children's families, well, that doesn't seem right.

Re the cancer vs. alopeica - that doesn't bother me. If a child is hairless the insecurities must be horrible regardless of the illness. I think I will research Pantene some more.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The sea monkey has my money.

#7 of 9 Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Oh, I totally agree! No hair is no hair! I didn't think that they were charging people who couldn't afford it. Part of it was that the guy who "bought" the right to cut my ponytail did it in memory of someone close to him that died of cancer. So I had hoped that it would be used in her memory. But whatever, someone got a little brown mop.

Good luck to your daughter! She should see about doing a fundraiser at school or church to cut it off. It'd be a good excercise in community & a good resume builder!
#8 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 AM

I donated mine to Children with Hair Loss last year. I too heard not-so-great things about Locks of Love so did a search for other charities and decided on that one.

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#9 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 AM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
I used to donate to Locks of Love, but quit after hearing some bad things about them. Now I donate to Pantene.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page