Cold Feet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has ideas. I get really cold feet. Right now I'm wearing fleece-lined boot style slippers and they are still cold. I bought some polar fleece socks hoping they would help- still cold. Last night I wore my polar fleece socks IN my fleece lined slippers and they stayed mostly warm, but they barely fit. I have thick socks made for hiking- feet still cold. I tried down slippers- they are comfy, but my feet still get cold. By cold, I mean freezing. I mostly notice at home, but during the day when I cant wear slippers its an issue too. Anyone else have this problem? Ideas on what might work? I've been tempted to try wool socks, but wool irritates me. I guess they make liners for wool socks? Do they work?
#2 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 PM

I was going to say wool socks until I saw the end of your post. Maybe there is a type of wool, like merino, or a silk/merino blend you can wear. I know some folks can wear some kinds of wool but not others.

I have ice cold feet and spent much of my life miserable until I started wearing wool socks. I love them and wear them from fall to spring, until I can wear sandals. not sure about liners- maybe silk liners in wool socks?

eta: I hate wool against my skin- it is itchy and prickly but I find socks to be fine. not sure if you have an allergy or not, but you may be the same.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#3 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 PM

The trick is to get your feet good and warmed up, THEN put em in a nice, thick pair of socks. Like stick your bare feet right in front of a heater for a while or in some hot water. ONce you get them really warm they tend to stay warm if you put socks on (good socks!) immediately after. It works for me anyway.
#4 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMama View Post
The trick is to get your feet good and warmed up, THEN put em in a nice, thick pair of socks. Like stick your bare feet right in front of a heater for a while or in some hot water. ONce you get them really warm they tend to stay warm if you put socks on (good socks!) immediately after. It works for me anyway.
The same thing works for me. I find for the most part if I put on socks when my feet are already freezing then they just stay cold, but if they are warm when I put them on then they stay toasty!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#5 of 14 Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyDoula View Post
The same thing works for me. I find for the most part if I put on socks when my feet are already freezing then they just stay cold, but if they are warm when I put them on then they stay toasty!
#6 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Thrummed slippers! You know how they have thrummed mittens? You can have thrummed slippers too. It's 100% pure wool roving in there. Just tufts of it, held in by stitches. I have thrummed mittens that I made, wore in Alaska in the dead of winter, and I had to alternate with having them on and taking them off as my hands got SO warm.

You could probably just do thrummed socks too - as opposed to slippers if those aren't comfortable for you.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#7 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 AM

I know you said you didn't like wool and I never used to either but wool socks are the only thing that'll keep my fit warm. I can wear several pairs of synthetic socks and they'll still be freezing.

An hour before bed I put two hot waters bottles near where mine and dh's feet will be and they keep us toasty all night.
#8 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 AM

down vests, and electric blankets, and I spend a lot of time in old friend fleece lined slippers and boots.
#9 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Get a hot water bottle, use it to warm your feet up first, and then wrap them in socks & slippers. And keep it next to them for the next hour or so. Or I know you can make re-useable hand/foot warmers by making a little cloth bag with pie weights (or rice, or something) and warm them in a microwave. That could work out well for you too.

Personally, I love the wool socks. I don't ski, but I pick up wool or other ski socks every winter to keep my feet warm.
#10 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM

My feet and hands are always cold! The only thing that has worked for me is to get them warm by taking a hot shower/soaking in hot water or sitting by the fire, then putting on a roasty pair of socks.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#11 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM

We have these wool socks, and you'd never guess they were wool by the feel of them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 03:45 PM

I'd also check and see if you have any other symptoms of hypothyroidism. That's a big one for it. Once I started suplimenting mine my feet arent' nearly as cold nearly as often. They are still cold much of the time but not to the extent they were. Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#13 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like I'm going to be buying some wool socks Also, thanks for the ideas about warm water and foot warmers, I've been trying to stand by our floor vents the past day or two, but they're never on when I need them, lol.

I've never heard of thrummed anything before, but they look comfy! I looked up the right term for my slippers and apparently they are shearling, which has a similar fluffy effect. You think thrumming is warmer? I might give it a try. Your post reminded me of my favorite hat, which is lined with rabbit fur. I wear it wen it gets below zero out, and usually end up having to take it off because my head gets too hot! If only they made rabbit fur socks...

Thank you also for the information on hypothyroidism. I've had my thyroid tested several times in recent years, but I'll be sure to mention it to my doctor next time I'm there in case anything has changed.

Thanks for all the advice ladies!
#14 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyDoula View Post
I find for the most part if I put on socks when my feet are already freezing then they just stay cold, but if they are warm when I put them on then they stay toasty!

I have had this problem since I was a little kid, though I mostly just ignored it until recently. I think it has something to do with circulation too. I find when I'm sitting for a long time, especially in leg-constricting positions, my feet often get cold regardless of how warmly I'm dressed. Walking briskly and stretching my legs tends to help.
As for combating the itch of wool socks, I just put on a normal pair of cotton underneath and then put the wool over. No itch, double insulation.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page