Have you been to Tahiti or Bora Bora? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 10 year anniversary is next year and we've been saving and planning to take a big trip.

So far Tahiti & Bora Bora are at the top of our list. We're looking to travel in early to mid August and are thinking 8-10 days. The kids will be with my parents.

Our only real requirements are tropical and romantic. Since we're leaving our kiddos behind I'd prefer not to stay somewhere too family friendly

Any suggestions or favorite places?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 AM

Yes, and it was AMAZING! We went there a few years ago. We stayed in Moorea, which is the island right across from Tahiti (and which has views of Tahiti). Moorea has the famous "Bali Hai" mountain from the movie South Pacific (which is still my screensaver!). Ahh it was paradise...
Here is where we stayed, I think we found it through a Budget Travel article:
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...y_Islands.html
I think it's worth it to spring for a bungalow on or over the water. The views were just gorgeous.
One tip I have is to try to avoid all-inclusives if you can. The food at local restaurants is amazing, with the French influences and the local flavours, and there are ton of great, reasonably priced restaurants. The big hotels don't want you to know this but all the restaurants will send a free car to pick you up and take you back to your hotel, just call them. It's awesome. And one of my favorite memories is walking every morning to this little convenience store down the road from our hotel and buying the most amazing pastries -- funny the things we remember from vacation!
I loved our vacation and highly recommend the Club Bali Hai but honestly, anyone I've ever known who's gone to French Polynesia loved it. I think you can't go wrong! Have fun planning your trip!

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 PM

i have been to the tahitian islands twice and would go again in a heart beat.

however, i would skip the main island of tahiti. stick to moorea and bora bora. moorea was the most beautiful island (rent a car one day to see the entire thing) but bora bora had the most amazing water. you can cycle around bora bora easily.

i highly recommend!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info! Lillian, any recomendations for where to stay?
The over water room sounds lovely!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 AM

i stayed at sofitels but i dont think they are sofitels anymore. i think the one on bora bora is now a westin. everybody wants an overwater bungalow and they are very pricey. check tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews.

User Tag List