Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Grrr. This actually bothers me a lot.

I'm 5'7". When I was in high school and undergrad I weighed about 105 pounds, and wore size 3, 1 or size 0. I got up to 110lbs around the time I was 25, and then in between pregnancies I've mostly been in the 112lbs to 118lbs range. Only, now I'm wearing stupid sizes like 00!

What the hell kind of size is double zero? And why does a double zero fit me when I'm 12 pounds heavier than I was in high school when I used to wear a size 1 or 3?

Any sizing scheme that has double zero and triple extra small is broken.
Yup- I mean they have to stop eventually right? Before everyone is a different number of "0's"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I think it sucks. You can never figure out what size to buy anymore. I have a strange feeling this is starting to happen with bras in the other direction though. I just had to get new bras (nursing) and apparently I now wear a 36E. Uh yeah........I don't really believe that is true sizing anymore than my size 4 jeans are.
Sooo...you don't look like Dolly Parton??
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 AM

I used to wear a 4 in high school. Now, I wear a size 2. Lately, I've noticed, in a lot of stores, even the size 2 is too big.

My body hasn't changed since high school. Well, minus the period of 2 years where I gained 80 pounds, lol. But, I'm back to my high school size now. If this vanity sizing trend keeps going, I'm not going to have a size to buy. I also wonder what people who always wore size 2 or 0 wear now.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM

This is one of the reasons I like to buy clothes on Ebay, since you can almost always ask the seller to give you measurements. Esp. for jeans. Without measurements I would be in the dark to buy clothes. I have in my closet, sizes anywhere from small and 6 to Extra Large and 13. And they all fit. Sizes on the tag don't mean anything to me anymore. In fact, I've started taking a measuring tape to me sometimes when I am shopping in thrift stores (since you can't return things). I've also got really good at sizing up waist measurement on pants by eye.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but beyond just the SIZES being wonky, at Old Navy, at least, every single pair of size 8s is cut differently, so I can go in, try on a bunch of sizes and see which one fits, but I can't buy two pairs of the same pants and expect them to fit the same. Makes me CRAZY :

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post
Yup- I mean they have to stop eventually right? Before everyone is a different number of "0's"?

What size are you?
"I'm a 2037 size 0"
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but beyond just the SIZES being wonky, at Old Navy, at least, every single pair of size 8s is cut differently, so I can go in, try on a bunch of sizes and see which one fits, but I can't buy two pairs of the same pants and expect them to fit the same. Makes me CRAZY :
That's because they cut the pieces out with a press from what I understand. The top and bottom pieces in the stack can have like a 1/4" difference on all sides. When all the pieces of a pair of jeans get sewn together all the little differences add up and you go from 4" ease to 6" ease in the same stack of jeans in the store.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Vanity sizing drives me batty since, a) I know that I'm not as small as some stores want me to pretend I am, and b) depending on where I shop and the cut of the jeans, my sizes will range from 4 up to 10 because of my height (just over 5'2) and the way I'm shaped. That's ridiculous.

I totally agree with PPs who said it'd be much easier to have the same system going for women as men do. WAY easier.

Another thing that I HATE is that I can no longer find jeans that aren't stretch. Now, I know that they're supposed to conceal things and make you look like you have a nice butt and all that, but uhhh.. no. Not on me. They only manage to make my thighs look like stuffed sausages and make my flat-as-a-pancake butt an even flatter pancake, which I wasn't aware was possible.. nice visual, huh?

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
That's because they cut the pieces out with a press from what I understand. The top and bottom pieces in the stack can have like a 1/4" difference on all sides. When all the pieces of a pair of jeans get sewn together all the little differences add up and you go from 4" ease to 6" ease in the same stack of jeans in the store.
Yeah, I had heard that, too... but OMG it's frustrating!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I've noticed it's not happening in plus sizes as well. In fact although I'm 30lbs lighter I'm still wearing the same size whereas if there was this vanity sizing in plus stores I'd be at least a couple sizes smaller.

Maybe 'cause you don't count if you're overweight? Our clothes are just an afterthought anyway -- "ok, we'd better make some of this junk in bigger sizes". Ugh - I hate the choices available in plus sizes for the gigantic price tags.
I've read somewhere that plus size clothes have a 20lb difference whereas regular sizes have only a 5lb difference between sizes. But, no-vanity sizing is not running rampant in plus size clothing.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I used to wear a 4 in high school. Now, I wear a size 2. Lately, I've noticed, in a lot of stores, even the size 2 is too big.

My body hasn't changed since high school. Well, minus the period of 2 years where I gained 80 pounds, lol. But, I'm back to my high school size now. If this vanity sizing trend keeps going, I'm not going to have a size to buy. I also wonder what people who always wore size 2 or 0 wear now.
Delia's goes by the old junior's sizing. They have everything down to 00 (they do cater to high school and middle schoolers, after all--) When I lost the baby weight last time, I got back down to a 00 in Old Navy/Gap's new vanity sizing, and found Delia's to be a much better resource for small size jeans. I first ordered a 00 from them and it was waaay too itty bitty! Lol! No vanity sizing there! Kind of refreshing, since I knew if I did happen to lose more weight (I didn't) that I still had something to fit into!

FWIW, Delia's sizes go up to junior size 19, too, and they offer a wide variety of inseams.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM

I had heard of vanity sizing, but I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores and so it hasn't been to obvious. Though it does explain why I can find things that fit anywhere from the 0 section to the size 7 section . Nothing like having to try on a million things because you never know what year your perfect, amazing thrift store score size 5's were made I didn't know they were doing that with bras too, that does explain why I can't find anything that fits, I have been shopping the wrong racks.....

Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
See, I'm noticing something different. I see a shirt that says it's XL and I hold it up. It looks like it would fit my thin 6 yr old. I'm not kidding. I'm appalled at the sizing changes.

So, I held up a 2X and it looked like a regular woman's small.

I run into that store after store.
No idea about number sizes because I haven't tried any on like that in quite some time.
Same here, especially for my mom. She's a M but can wear either a small to an x-l. I went shopping with her lately and she tried a coat that was a Large. It was too small for her. She tried a x-l and it still didn't fit her well. She wasn't happy. It's crazy how clothes sizes are universal at every store.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 10-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Maybe that explains why I was a C in high school but my daughter is a DD. WTF?? (actually she is a 34DD but no one carries that so she has has to wear a 38D.)

ETA: I also wanted to add that I am not seeing this trend in the plus sizes. I wonder why that is.
This is where you want to go for busty girls.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
I think womens clothing should be labeled like mens clothing.
I have 37" hips and by golly I'd rather walk into a store and pick up some 37's by 33's (length) and walk out, try them on at home and be freakin done. Just like my husband, brother, father, FIL.
Maybe that is the problem. Men choose waist/length. You suggest hip/length. I would have thought waist/length, as well, but there is the hip measurement. So maybe there are 3, or even 4 (thighs) that go into creating women's pants.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 PM

This must be why my mom saves that 1 dress from 1977 that she knows she will never wear out of the house again. She just wants to know when it fits as she knows what she looked like and how she felt when it did.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Maybe that is the problem. Men choose waist/length. You suggest hip/length. I would have thought waist/length, as well, but there is the hip measurement. So maybe there are 3, or even 4 (thighs) that go into creating women's pants.
Maybe that is the problem

I know my husband wears 30x32's and I can't even get them up all the way over my hips, and my waste is 31. You'd think I could SQUEEZE into them. *sigh*

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Oh yes I've noticed it. I have no changed size in many years. I weigh the same as I did 20 years ago. I used to wear a 6 or so. Now it is usually a 0 and often even that is too big. What am I supposed to do when I 0 is too large? I used to be able to buy clothes at Ann Taylor and J Crew without trying them on - I knew the fit - but it has changed in recent year.

I also agree that it is silly to do it - we all know what 'size' we are regardless of what the tag in our pants says.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Looks like even Hanes package undies (yeah, buy 6 get 2 free kind) are vanity sized now. I wore a 6, now a 5, with the same hip measurement?

And bras are definitely sized weird. I do not have that small of a rib cage-- as in there are plenty of people a LOT smaller than me. And yet a new 34 band is too big. Now. In high school a new 36 fit perfectly. My ribs have gotten bigger since then bc of pregnancy :

There is a jean company somewhere that makes jeans special order for lowish cost ($40 or so a pair). You send then your waist, rise, hip, thigh, and inseam and they send you perfect pants. And nope, I can't remember the name

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Levis was doing custom jeans (don't know if they still are). The annoying part was they only did them in a limited range of small (imo) sizes.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 AM

It is insane and I hate it.

I have "dropped" five sizes since- get this- my FRESHMAN YEAR in high school. (ETA- I'm the same weight!!! Actually three lbs over now because of baby born in April.)

I have a pair of size one cords from the Gap that are a little small. I have new size two cords from the Gap that are a little big.

Re: bra size: Crap, I'm still an A, I wonder what that means- are my boobs shrinking?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Vanity sizing bugs me but I really wish there was consistency between different bra brands. They all seem to use different size and shape wires. I went bra shopping with my friend and she held up a Wacoal and Wonderbra that were the same label size but the Wacoal underwires were nearly an inch wider and half an inch deeper than the Wonderbra.

Stef - mommy to Matthew and Katrina, wife to Dave; seamstress, bra-maker, and resident bra expert.  Find your proper bra size.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
Yeah, that! I swear, clothes buying would be sooooo much easier!

I wear a size 5 in underwear, which is the smallest sold in regular stores (you know, the 6-pack of Hanes), and have worn that size even when I was 30lbs heavier. I have always wondered where truly thin people get their undies.
You don't wear any. When I get at my thinnest (nursing a toddler) I end up having to go comando because I can't find cheap undies that fit. Course I could probably find some if I wanted to fork over the dough but I don't.

I HATE vanity sizing. I was soo thrilled a few weeks ago to pull on a pair of size 3 Levis, and they were baggy. Only I stepped on the scale the next day and I hadn't lost a lb of DS's pg weight. I am normally quite thin, often size 0 are too baggy for me to wear, I end up having to hunt down 00 and hold them up with a belt. Once I had to go break down and buy pants in the children's section because all the regular pants were too big thanks to vanity sizing. My old jeans that I have from high school are a size 2-4 and they are smaller then of the 00's I have now.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Yes! You should see the look I got a few years ago going into Ross and asking if they had anything smaller than a 00! Granted I was underweight then, but I now fit about a size 1-3, when in middle school I wore a size 7 and in high school a size 5. I weigh about the same as I did in high school, but completely drown in a 5.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
It is insane and I hate it.

I have "dropped" five sizes since- get this- my FRESHMAN YEAR in high school. (ETA- I'm the same weight!!! Actually three lbs over now because of baby born in April.)

I have a pair of size one cords from the Gap that are a little small. I have new size two cords from the Gap that are a little big.

Re: bra size: Crap, I'm still an A, I wonder what that means- are my boobs shrinking?

I'm afraid so I'll be in the same boat as you in a couple years when I am done nursing.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post

There is a jean company somewhere that makes jeans special order for lowish cost ($40 or so a pair). You send then your waist, rise, hip, thigh, and inseam and they send you perfect pants. And nope, I can't remember the name
That sounds good. Too bad you don't remember the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
Levis was doing custom jeans (don't know if they still are). The annoying part was they only did them in a limited range of small (imo) sizes.
Unfortunately, that's probably what the deal is with the above mentioned custom jean site. If you are not average, or slightly above or below average, they won't have your size available. :sigh

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Huh, maybe I need to save my penies and buy new rather than used at the used store I'm usually a size 10-12...even though I only weigh 145-150lbs (not pregnant)...maybe I'm shrinking and don't know it. LMAO

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I just wish there was consistency in sizing. I have a size 6 pair of jeans that nearly fall off of me (but cannot even button the size 4 in the same brand and style) and a pair of size 10 pants, same brand, that fit well and do not fall down.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:54 PM

You know where this really became apparent to me recently? Sewing patterns. I recently went looking for some skirt patterns, and was shocked to find that by pattern sizes I'm a good 2-3 sizes over what most of my garment tags claim. Apparently McCall's and Simplicity and such have not succumbed, although now I kind of wish they would.

User Tag List