Paypal fraud - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yesterday I received a bunch of emails that someone ordered $400 worth of stuff from itunes with my account and paid through my paypal. Things like Rollerblading, Sexy babes, and things in a language (Japanese?) that I can't even read. I did not make any of them. I filed disputes with paypal and in less than a day they denied me and won't tell me why. You have to log in and put in your password to order these and they were done in the middle of the night. So needless to say, we are out $400, the bank won't do anything (waiting for them to "clear"), won't let me cancel my account, I deauthorized paypal and sent a notice to them via chat yesterday, and still more transactions were made last night.

So we are out not only $400 but all the overdraft fees for all that since we were broke before hand. I don't know what to do. I can't stop crying. Why are people so evil? Why did this happen to me? What do I do? No one will refund my money or cancel my accounts so it stops.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paypal wont cancel your account or atleast LOCK IT so no more purchases can be made? That just doesnt seem right to me? And the bank is waiting for them to clear? So does that mean they havent hit your account yet? Can you CLOSE your bank account and reopen a new one? I seriously cannot believe no one will help you with this. That is just AWFUL!!! I feel like cancelling my paypal account right now out of fear! Its supposed to be a secure way to buy things online! This sounds like the POLAR OPPOSITE!
#3 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

No, they won't. I'm on the phone right now with them. They're sending me some security key that I have to use to do paypal from now on. I guess since these are still pending through my bank they won't cancel anything? The charges are pending through my bank, so my bank can't do anything. The guy from paypal is at least nice and is helping me challenge paypal's "final" decision on my disputes.

#4 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Could it have been a bogus Paypal account? How long had you been using it before this? Just wondering, because we recently got a couple suspicious email from PP asking us to update our security....didn't open them because I know that emails asking to do that are always fraudulent. If it was a legit account, them I wouldn't understand why they won't cancel or freeze it?

me-45, DH-46, ds1-23, ds2-18, dd1-17, dd2-14, dd3-4....hoping for #6.....

#5 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

We got those emails awhile back and I forwarded them to the spoof@paypal email. I have been buying more than usual through paypal lately as I sold a bunch of things and bought some books used through people.

#6 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Hmm... DH got an email a few months ago from PP that they suspected suspicious activity on his account. Sure enough, someone had changed his password, made a few test purchases (since DH rarely checks the account PP is linked to, they went through unnoticed) and opened up a PP line of credit and charged up about $400 worth of online gaming junk. DH was able to cancel all of it, and have the charges forgiven by the bank, no problems.

It seemed to be cleared up easily enough, but I deleted my entire PP account, and DH de-authorized his PP account, so none of our card/bank information is linked to his account anymore. It freaked me out enough that I went through any/all online accounts that we had and took all our saved payment information off (Amazon, Old Navy, etc). I suspect it was someone who knows DH well enough to crack his secret questions to change the password (his brother...), but there is no way to know.
#7 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I have heard of people having success in situations like these when they tell pay pal they will contact the BBB and their attorney general.

Here this may be helpful... http://www.paypalsucks.com/paypal-complaints.shtml
#8 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

If they deny my dispute this time, I will bring up the BBB. Especially since they will NOT tell me why they are denying me.

I am definitely deleting everything about me out there now. This is scary.

#9 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 PM

i had paypal fraud similar to yours. paypal assured me they would refund ALL money that came out of my paypal account but i had to really argue with them about bank fees. i also talked with my bank and they worked with me, too.

in the end, i didnt have to fork over a dime - paypal 'returned' the $130 which had been taken from my account and given me $100 toward the $350 overdraft bank fees (it was an empty bank account that i only used to xfer money from paypal). eventually the bank ate the rest of the fees.

in my case the people knew my username and password and logged in once without ever getting my password incorrect. no idea how it happened.

there is NO REASON paypal should not automatically give you back the $400. the bank fees will be difficult to handle, though.

good luck!
#10 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM

i will never again link my paypal account to my bank account for this reason. i think a credit card is much less risky. if you are a seller on ebay this is a problem bc you need to get your paypal money out of paypal. but if you primarily use it for purchases, i suggested unlinking your bank account.
#11 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM

first off you need to immediately cancel your bank accts. If you get nowhere by phone march yourself down there to the nearest branch and demand they close your accts. Most banks will gladly do that if you suspect fraud. If they dont want to than have them give your something that shows you attempted to close an acct, even if its written and signed on the back of a napkin. You are not legally liable for fraud after you notifly the bank.

If you havent done so already immediatly cancel your paypal acct as well you can always get another later. If not at least change the password to your paypal and email acct, considering you dont know how your info was spamed

We had something similar happent o us a few yrs back but it was thousands of dollars out of our savings Luckily DH was checking our savings because we were in the middle of making a car purchase and checked on it to see if our interest paymt went thru before we withdrew the $$. I was so pissed but luckily our bank was very pro-active in helping us get all our $$ back. We ended up canceling all our bank accts and opening new ones. Changed our email and all passwords online. I am also very careful not to use my email,or other bank accts on a *shared* computer.

If you purchase a lot online I would suggest you get a bank acct solely for that purpose. Most banks have a free basic acct. We set one up and only use that card # for purchase. Prior to paying I am able to transfer $ into that acct, but overall it only $3 in it (my banks minimal ) It is not connected to any other accts and our bank only allows a set max on the card without us calling. We figure if that card # is ever stolen or spamed we wont be out all our money we need for groceries and such.
#12 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

That's horrible! I'm glad you got your money back, luv-my-boys! I will do that-setting up a new bank account only for online stuff. Good idea.

We are going up to the bank tomorrow (it's an hour away) and trying to close everything down. The problem is we have automatic bill pay and so I need to fix all that ASAP. And dh's automatic deposits take a month to switch, so I can't totally shut down yet anyway.

I'm still waiting to hear back from paypal about my appeal. I filed with the FTC and credit places and have my papers printed to take to the police department. I changed passwords, too.

#13 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian View Post
i will never again link my paypal account to my bank account for this reason. i think a credit card is much less risky. if you are a seller on ebay this is a problem bc you need to get your paypal money out of paypal. but if you primarily use it for purchases, i suggested unlinking your bank account.
I agree. I got a weird e-mail yesterday from PayPal telling me that my account couldn't be verified (or something like that) unless I linked my bank account to it instead of my credit card. I deleted the e-mail -- no way am I going to link my bank account!

OP, that sucks -- I'm sorry. I hope you get it resolved.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#14 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

This is why I have a Paypal account but do not have any credit cards registered on it. I only put add a card when I am making a purchase and then I remove it immediately. That way, if someone does get into my account, they can't do anything with it.
#15 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I've had a $200 sink not delivered. I filed fraudulant charges with my bank and they refunded everything. I can't use that account for pp anymore. We have another I transfer money too only when I need it.
#16 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 AM

I have a bank account ONLY for paypal. The money in the bank account is negligible. I only have it so that I can use paypal (we sell a lot of stuff on ebay).

I'd never link my "real" account to paypal either. It's too scary of a concept for me.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#17 of 17 Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
This is why I have a Paypal account but do not have any credit cards registered on it. I only put add a card when I am making a purchase and then I remove it immediately. That way, if someone does get into my account, they can't do anything with it.
Good idea. I just removed my card from my account. Thanks for the idea!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page