A life lesson I learned on MDC! How about you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pay zero attention to screen names from one thread to another. I could be in a bitter battle with someone on a particular thread where mean and insulting comments are made toward me (ok, ok, OR by me) then 5 minutes later wander to another unrelated thread where I'm agreeing with, joking with, or complimenting the very same person from the previous thread.

In forums I don't hold grudges or carry ill thoughts along to other threads based on an experience in one thread. I don't discount someone automatically if they pop up in another thread based on their manner in a previous thread, or by their moods or post content on another day. Maybe I do this because I'm uninvested or maybe it's because I don't have any physical attachment to concrete a mental image of dislike on. Either way, I realized today that I perhaps need to take advice from online me and bring along IRL.

Nothing wrong with avoiding people who treat you baddly... probably a smart thing to do in most cases but, theres no reason you have to drag the associated feelings and bad views of that person into the next thread of your life.

Online I don't expect so-and-so to come wandering in just to make a rude or judgemental comment because I don't keep tabs on ANY of the so-and-sos. Sure, on occasion the same person probably does commit repeat rudeness but, I'm not spending my time looking out for them or lurking in wait for them to say something nasty so I can go on the defence.

Who said you can't learn anything about real life communication through online interaction!

What life lessons have you learned here on MDC?

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#2 of 16 Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM

I feel the same way, although I do look at the names of posters since I feel like it helps me to 'personalize' my responses. I do my best not to hold grudges in real life, but there are times when I need to, in order to save myself from making the same mistakes- such as trusting someone who has shown me time and time again that they are unable to be trustworthy.

I try to give people some slack (on here and irl) but, honestly, sometimes I get to the point where I would rather just move on and avoid that person

MDC has also taught me a lot about compassion, and understanding that we are all the same even if we have differing views..

mischievous.gif
#3 of 16 Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM

Circumcision is completely unnecessary and immunizations should be approached with caution....

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#4 of 16 Old 10-16-2009, 06:09 PM

ditto Houdini.

And maybe they really ARE out to get me. (or more seriously, I can't fix other people and should focus on myself and hug my kids more)

And that it's NORMAL for my kids to nurse past the age of 2 and cosleep. I am NOT ruining them or spoiling them.

and sometimes the right answer really is "suck it"
#5 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 07:31 AM

I have learned a lot from MDC. Although I guess I have never sat down to just ponder the specifics of it.

(Seems like I may have missed something, or this thread has veared off into another direction.)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#6 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM

We have more in common than we are different.

Pass the bean dip....pass the bean dip...pass the bean dip. Sometimes you really aren't going to change someone's mind, no matter how much you believe in something and want to engage in thoughtful conversation about it. So, pass the bean dip, please!

In the end, only kindness matters.
...but like neetling just said, sometimes the only good answer truly is 'suck it.'

I'm not the only one in the world who needs a break/wants a good strong cup of coffee/would climb heaven and earth for a good night's sleep, etc. So maybe I should just get over myself.

And...if I need the advice of sage, wise women or just need a virtual hug -- MDC is a great place to get these things.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#7 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

ive learned something about a service chicken.....

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#8 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM

I guess I've learned that sometimes it's good to speak up and raise a fuss, and sometimes it's not worth the effort. I don't mean that in a negative way.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I pay zero attention to screen names from one thread to another. I could be in a bitter battle with someone on a particular thread where mean and insulting comments are made toward me (ok, ok, OR by me) then 5 minutes later wander to another unrelated thread where I'm agreeing with, joking with, or complimenting the very same person from the previous thread.
I do this too. That being said, every now and then someone will stick out to me that I see around alot and agree with on a consistent basis and I might remember them. Maybe. But the ones I disagree with? For some reason later I never can recall who exactly it was I was dukin' it out with.
#10 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMama View Post
But the ones I disagree with? For some reason later I never can recall who exactly it was I was dukin' it out with.
yup. thats me exactly

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#11 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 PM

I don't hold grudges (and hope others don't as well ) plus I also am not likely to remember a screen name after the fact.

I have learned from MDC that some words are offensive to others, such as: crap, suck, yeah, and butt. Is that a life lesson?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 16 Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM

I have learned to broaden my world view. The way I was raised and the way I live is not a universal- there are many people with varied ways of living and thinking. I must've grown up in a bubble because I didn't realize until I grew up (and came here) that people live so many different kinds of lives.
Everyone has a different normal. And that's okay.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#13 of 16 Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 PM

I've learned that sometimes (oftentimes?) a conflict is really nothing more than a misunderstanding.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#14 of 16 Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
We have more in common than we are different.

Pass the bean dip....pass the bean dip...pass the bean dip. Sometimes you really aren't going to change someone's mind, no matter how much you believe in something and want to engage in thoughtful conversation about it. So, pass the bean dip, please!

In the end, only kindness matters.
...but like neetling just said, sometimes the only good answer truly is 'suck it.'

I'm not the only one in the world who needs a break/wants a good strong cup of coffee/would climb heaven and earth for a good night's sleep, etc. So maybe I should just get over myself.

And...if I need the advice of sage, wise women or just need a virtual hug -- MDC is a great place to get these things.

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#15 of 16 Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandamanda View Post
ive learned something about a service chicken.....

I have learned that MDC is often more appealing than sleep!

Also, I love how communicating with people from all over helps me keep perspective. I live pretty far away--literally and figuratively--from most of America. I have to leave my little utopian bubble once in a while to keep my head on straight. Coming here reminds me about different kinds of people even when I am not traveling.
#16 of 16 Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM

I was just noticing that, re: the OP, the other day.

The few people I've decided to ignore are because I stopped being surprised by their usernames when I was irked by a post.

I mostly only notice continuously 'good' posters, so it takes a lot for someone to stand out as aggravating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page