Where to move-Austin TX; Portland OR; Minneapolis MN; Chicago IL; Pittsburg PA? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been in Austin 10 years and love it here, but the lack of cold and snow is disheartening. In fact this summer was so brutal that we seriously considered moving somewhere more comfortable - you are literally housebound due to the heat. Austin has a ton of family friendly free stuff though - beautiful parks, festivals, the nature center... hiking is beautiful here, you can hike down to natural springs and swim. Its a lovely place all around, but the heat is a killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Now see Cynthia, I was thinking of those of use who don't want to LIVE in the city, but we are still close enough that getting there isn't a major ordeal. And the east side is better if you want to live out in the suburbs in my opinion, however we have less in the way of natural foods this away. The east side is neglected as far as Trader Joes and New Seasons goes. :P

ETA: The east side = closer to the mountain. The west side = closer to the coast.
Yeah, I would go eastside too. Sandy is a great little community, I like Estacada too. All around Mt. Hood and into the Gorge there are nice places to live and more snow for sure than closer in. Not as many specialty stores, true. Westside, I would go out to Cornelius, Gaston, even Vernonia or Mist. The coast range has gotten quite a bit of snow the last few years too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I guess I don't see the cost of living as high here becuase I came from the Bay Area. Also being from California, I don't see the economy as unstable. Actually I have no idea what you are talking about in that regards. I will grant you that the cost of living on the west coast is higher than it is on the east cost or the mid states, but I would so much rather be here than there that it is worth it a million times over.
ITA. It might be more expensive than some parts of the country but those parts of the country aren't where I'd want to live. Again, as a native, I'm partial to the Pacific NW. I like the DIY, bootstrapping pioneer spirit that infuses our culture. And you can get by on very little money if needed, keeping up with the Jones is not much of a pastime around here. Most people spend more time hiking or gardening than at the mall.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM

For me it would be Portland, hands down. I love Portland.

Have you considered Boulder, CO?

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Minnesota has concealed carry? That coupled with snow could cinch up the win for Minneapolis as far as my husband is concerned. I think he's part polar bear.

Ideally we would visit each potential city before making a decision, but that is outside of the realm of possible. It's really hard to choose a semi-random city to pack up and move your whole family to. This is one of those times in life I wish I really had an "easy" button.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Yes, Minnesota has concealed carry laws. YOu have to take a firearms safety course (a full day class offered in several locations every weekend) and then get the permit, but it's not too hard to do.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post

Have you considered Boulder, CO?

Yes, actually. My husband would move to CO in a heartbeat, but right now we're tied down to cities that he can transfer and finish culinary school. He's actually said that once he's established as a chef, he wants to move to CO, live there full time and open a restaurant.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreckledmama View Post
Yes, actually. My husband would move to CO in a heartbeat, but right now we're tied down to cities that he can transfer and finish culinary school. He's actually said that once he's established as a chef, he wants to move to CO, live there full time and open a restaurant.
Boulder actually has a great culinary school - Cooking School of the Rockies (oooh, actually I think they changed their name recently), but I don't know if the courses would transfer. Now Denver has a Johnson and Wales, too and is commutable from Boulder.

Not that I want to make your decision more difficult!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I lived in the Twin Cities for 3 years, 1 in uptown Mpls, 2 in downtown St. Paul. I enjoyed it a lot, and always had plenty of fun things to do/see with my nanny kids and foster kids, and it's got great theaters/entertainment for the older crowd too. I hate cold weather though, so I'm perfectly content here in Seattle.

That being said, your experience of any given city can vary considerably. You might LOVE Portland, but if you end up in one of the burbs with a single car and your hubby working all the time you may or may not be able to enjoy the vibrant downtown. Same thing with the Twin Cities--I lived in Burnsville (the burbs) briefly, and that was a pain in the rear, I was much happier in the more urban areas than the burbs. Meanwhile here in Seattle, I LOVE being in the burbs, rarely leave them, and get twitchy about driving into the big city because I hate it unless I'm going to town for something very specific.

So what I would do personally, is decide on what school hubby really wants to go to, and spend more time shopping for a neighborhood that you like in and of itself in that general area, especially if you anticipate at all transportation or time or convenience limitations.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
I have been in Austin 10 years and love it here, but the lack of cold and snow is disheartening. In fact this summer was so brutal that we seriously considered moving somewhere more comfortable - you are literally housebound due to the heat. Austin has a ton of family friendly free stuff though - beautiful parks, festivals, the nature center... hiking is beautiful here, you can hike down to natural springs and swim. Its a lovely place all around, but the heat is a killer.
I love it here in Austin, but it is HOT. If the climate was cooler, it would be perfect in my opinion. I grew up here, moved away, and came back (twice!)...this is just the town for me, I guess, despite the heat. I would recommend living closer to downtown rather the suburbs, though.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I think he's part polar bear.
This would definitely sway me away from Texas.

What an exciting adventure! I realize I am committing sin #29 (I didn't read the whole thread prior to posting), but has someone already linked you to findyourspot.com? It's fun

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM

If you do pick Chicago, there is state testing to be a chef etc. Well worth it and should transfer.

Also, if you choose Chicago, PM me later to put you in touch with some leads for cooking. My BIL works for one of the better caterers in the city (clients like oprah, rick bayless, lyric opera etc) and has many many contacts.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Oregon allows concealed carry as well.

I live in the suburbs next to Portland. Huge & fantastic homeschool community, extremely non-vax (& homebirth) friendly. Endless stores selling organic, local, "mama made", etc. Soooooo green I can't believe it (i was born here but lived in San Fran most of my life). And SO many u-picks & small farms, *everywhere*. I love Portland.

All that being said, we're considering moving near Spokane, WA or C'ouer d A'lene (probably spelled that wrong), Idaho. Land is too expensive here. And we want a smaller population around us.

One more thing though, doesn't Oregon have the highest unemployment rate in the country right now?

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

I think we may have tentatively almost decided on Minneapolis. (How's that for non-committal?)

My husband's cousin lives in Minneapolis, and graduated from the same culinary school he would transfer to last year. He's going to call her tomorrow and pick her brain about all things culinary up there, as well as housing and all the goodies you need to know when relocating. If for some reason Minneapolis becomes a no-go, I really don't know what our second choice would be-but probably not Austin (sorry vegemamato ), only because I really don't think we could take the heat.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 AM

:nana

mischievous.gif
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Cool. C'mon over to the MN/WI FYT board, tell us what you're looking for in a neighborhood. We can probably point you in the right direction.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 AM

DH went to Le Cordon Bleu in (a suburb of) Minneapolis, so if you have any questions about that particular school, feel free to PM.

love.gif

Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

As of last night, we've "officially" decided on the Twin Cities area. My husband talked to his cousin who lives there, and she and her boyfriend offered up their spare bedroom to him if he wants to come up for job interviews, or even for a few weeks to get started working up there before we move-which is awesome and will hopefully set us up for a smoother transition.

I want to thank everyone for their input, it really helped us get a better idea of each area to help in making our decision.

Now I'm going to head on over to the Minnesota/Wisconsin tribe to try and figure out where exactly in the Twin Cities we should move-because I'm quickly realizing that deciding where to move was the easiest part of the whole endeavor.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
You might LOVE Portland, but if you end up in one of the burbs with a single car and your hubby working all the time you may or may not be able to enjoy the vibrant downtown.
i'd find an area that has a good public transportation system and a stop within close walking distance from a prospective house.
i'm sure some pdx'ers will correct me, but doesn't the max have some burby stops? gresham, for one? (not that i'd advocate for living in gresham!)

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

User Tag List