Female to female violence question? Mods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
move where it needs to be
Why is it if another girl/woman beats on or up another one is not taken as seriously as if it is male to female violence or female beating male not as serious??

isn't all violence and violation of space and boundaries? So why isn't it prosecuted or viewed the same??
#2 of 3 Old 02-13-2004, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hrm.

I'm not sure what you mean...if you mean in terms of domestic violence with lesbian couples, I've found it to be treated pretty much the same as any other kind of domestic violence.
#3 of 3 Old 02-14-2004, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think there is more than one answer. On a legal level they should be treated the same. Assault is assualt is assault. Battery is battery. It is illegal. You have to report it to the cops, make an official complaint, then it hits the whole legal system. But it should go the same way regardles of who has been hitting who.

On a societal/ moral level many people make a distinction. This is, I believe, based on a couple of factors. One is that, all other things being equal, an average man is far more dangerous that an average woman. I am talking about the potential to do damage here, not the propensity. Men are stronger. If another woman hits me three or four times as hard as she can it will hurt like hell, for sure but some ice bags and Motrin will probably resolve most or all of the actual damage. If a man hits me three or four times as hard as he can it is highly likely that I will sustain serious injuries and it is possible he could kill me. So, yeah... we tend to take that more seriously. Add to that the history of men using violence to rule the domestic scene with impunity for generations.

And of course the fact is that these societal issue do effect how the law is ultimately applied. If the police come to my house and find my sister and I fighting, knowing that it is unlikely that we will cause grave injuries should we resume thay are likely to calm us down and leave. If two of my brothers are fighting it is probably 50/50.. maybe they will book them, maybe they will cool them off and leave. If my husband and I are fighting they are going to employ their knowledge of physiology and have a greater concern for my well being than his and will be more likely to arrest him than not and far more likely to arrest him than me. They will also be very likely to fall victim to their social prejudices and assume he is the aggressor and I the victim unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page