US vs. Canada - product availability and names? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 116 Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Okay - the US doesn't have White Spot, as far as I know. Mind you, much of Canada doesn't, either. And, I did hear that one opened in Washington. I'll have to check that out..
if it is a diner type thing, there is one in Alaska. Been there a long long time.

I know several people that live in WA that cross the border to go to the Goldilocks factory to stock up on Filipino desserts.. I can buy them locally at the Asian market, but the choices are limited.. most of them I can buy are snack cake size rather than say, birthday cake size or whatever.

Also I have found there are lots of things that I can by on base that I can't buy elsewhere.. My dp grew up on San Miguel beer. Not available here, but I can buy it by the case on base (the last time I bought him a case it lasted him a couple of years )... I cannot buy Nutella except the small 16 oz size, but I know it is available in other states in larger sizes.. (probably on base as well).

There are TONS of things that I can buy in the lower 48 states that I just cannot buy here.. sometimes when I get a pack of coupons I find there are several for items that do not exist where I live. Sausage brands, ham, other meats mostly..

things I miss that the lower 48 has that we do not (yet)

Ruby Tuesday
White Castle
Taco Time
Jack in the Box
Olive Garden
Sizzlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:

Do you have Wunderbar in the US?
i think thats another cadbury's product that we do not have. (unless you go to a specialty store like world market- but i'm not sure they have them either.)

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#93 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 AM

I don't think the US has Swiss Chalet... That may or may not be a good thing, depending on who you ask.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif

#94 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 AM

I've seen ketchup chips. I'm in the US. I thought that sounded disgusting but then I think a lot of the flavored ones sound nasty lol.
#95 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
I've seen ketchup chips. I'm in the US. I thought that sounded disgusting but then I think a lot of the flavored ones sound nasty lol.
I love salt and vinegar chips (and have a serious addiction to Miss Vickie's Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar). I've never tried another flavoured chip that I liked. Most of them are disgusting. Ketchup is vile. But, ds2 got a small bag in his ToT loot, and loved them...actually, dd1 got it, but she feels the same way about them that I do, so she traded. In my case, my feelings about ketchup chips may, or may not, be influenced by the fact that I think ketchup is the most vile condiment in the world.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#96 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Mike's Hard Lemonade in Canada is made with vodka, also the Smirnoff ice (of course) is made with vodka. In the USA both are made with "flavored malt beverage" and are, imo, disgusting.

As for President's Choice, we call it Prisoner's Choice at my house.

Green & Black's chocolate bars in caramel flavour are not available in Canada since they got bought out by Cadbury. I can order them in the USA but they didn't seem as good as I had remembered them - possibly the ingredients just aren't as good since Cadbury took over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Twin Boys born August 16, 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#97 of 116 Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I love salt and vinegar chips (and have a serious addiction to Miss Vickie's Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar). I've never tried another flavoured chip that I liked. Most of them are disgusting. Ketchup is vile. But, ds2 got a small bag in his ToT loot, and loved them...actually, dd1 got it, but she feels the same way about them that I do, so she traded. In my case, my feelings about ketchup chips may, or may not, be influenced by the fact that I think ketchup is the most vile condiment in the world.
I like ketchup chips... But I agree with you on the condiment.

I only eat regular, salt and vinigar (but not miss vikies) and ketchup. Everything else tastes like vomit to me.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#98 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
OK, none of the other stuff do I care about, but this one. Wah! I wish we could get this OTC. When I have a dry, tickling cough that just won't quit, I need something more than our OTC cough medicines. One year I kept doing shots of Scotch before bed, my coughing was so bad.
It's legal to mailorder tablet codeine to the US so I'm sure you could import the syrup too.

What are coffee crisps?

Wow, I'd weigh less and have better teeth but be very tired if I lived in Canada! No caffeine in Mt Dew would mess my sleepy world up!
#99 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
What are coffee crisps?
They're one of my favourite commercial chocolate bars, but I don't eat them much...mostly at Hallowe'en, when I ask my kids for a couple. I don't really know how to describe them, though. There's a light, vaguely mocha flavoured center layer, then a layer of very light crispy wafer, and a few other layers, and then the whole thing is wrapped in chocolate (crappy mass market milk chocolate, but I love Coffee Crisps).

Quote:
Wow, I'd weigh less and have better teeth but be very tired if I lived in Canada! No caffeine in Mt Dew would mess my sleepy world up!
It actually tastes different than US Mountain Dew.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#100 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
We have Kinder Surprises in Canada!
You just have to know where to find those here.

I get those at a German Market and Middle Eastern grocery.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#101 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Mike's Hard Lemonade in Canada is made with vodka, also the Smirnoff ice (of course) is made with vodka. In the USA both are made with "flavored malt beverage" and are, imo, disgusting.
It all makes sense now!

When I was 19 a bunch of my friends and I went to Canada to drink legally. The first place we went was Pizza Hut (you'd think we could've found some sort of interesting local place, but no, we went to Pizza Hut). Everyone ordered beer, but because I hated beer at the time I order some sort of wine cooler.

It was DELICIOUS.

I had never understood why the wine cooler in Canada was SO good, but EVERY one I've had here has tasted like crap.

Now I get it.

Vodka.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#102 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this (only read page 1)
But regular Mt. Dew in Canada is caffeine free. This tastes like the high caffeine Mt. Dew in the states.
If you want caffeine, you have to buy the stuff that specifically contains caffeine, but it doesn't taste like Mt. Dew in the states.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#103 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
npl

Quote:
DH just said he hasn't seen it in a long time - maybe it didn't do very well here. It was just called Mountain Dew Energy. There was also Mountain Dew Code Red - not sure what its claim to fame was.
Thanks! I'm going to look for it when I next go to the supermarket. I really hope they still sell it! It will be an amazing surprise for dh.
#104 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
npl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte Mama View Post
We have a small neighborhood market owned by an Irish family that has a whole section devoted to both Brtitish and Irish products. Those Cadbury bars taste a thousand times better than their American counterparts.
I was so disappointed when I first moved to the US from England, and bought a chocolate bar that was familiar, because it tasted so wrong!
#105 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
DH says the US doesn't do all-dressed potato chips, either.
You can get Humpty Dumpty "All Dressed" potato chips here....

Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children.
***4***8***12***16***20***24***
***32***36*** 40
#106 of 116 Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I don't think the US has Swiss Chalet... That may or may not be a good thing, depending on who you ask.
I love SC! I always get the holiday special with the Lindor chocolates. It means something extra special to me because we took DH's Grandma there for lunch (she loved it) and that was the last time we got to see her -- she died 15 days later. So Swiss Chalet rocks!

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#107 of 116 Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM

We lived in Montreal for a few years, and what I miss most (besides local restaurants) is Liberty Walnut-and-Plum yogurt. My DH has to go to Vancouver occasionally for business and he always brings me some back.
#108 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

things I miss that the lower 48 has that we do not (yet)

Ruby Tuesday
White Castle
Taco Time
Jack in the Box
Olive Garden
Sizzlers
Technically these aren't all "lower 48" since they exist in fewer than 48 states.

As for Kinder Surprise, yes, it is possible to buy them in the US, but it isn't really legal to sell them. And it isn't really legal to mail order tablet codeine in the US without a prescription, even at the level that would be OTC in Canada, although it is possible and you probably wouldn't get in any trouble.
#109 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Man reading this thread makes me feel not qualified as a Canadian. I almost don't eat any of those goodies. OK, I do love Wunderbar, but since DS1 has peanut allergy we stopped buying them. I only ever buy plain salted potato chips. I thought everything here is way too sweet, apparently they can be even sweeter.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (13 & 12)
#110 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM

There's an Olive Garden in Langley, BC.

Tjej
#111 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Technically these aren't all "lower 48" since they exist in fewer than 48 states.
It is a common term that Alaskans use to indicate anywhere that is not Alaska nor Hawaii.. perhaps it is done in our slightly rebellious attitude since we get nixed for so many things due to "shipping issues"... obviously they are probably not in EVERY state, but there are some parts of some states where you can cross a state line in a matter of minutes or hours.. so even if a Taco Time is in say, Arizona, but not in New Mexico, it is theoretically possible to get in your car and drive to one. I, however, cannot do that. It would take me over a week to drive to another State.

I have been told many many times that Alaska is not a State, that it is a territory, that it is not continental and that companies don't ship to foreign countries.. when statements like these are not given to me on a regular basis by globally and nationally recognized companies, then I will learn to be more specific.
#112 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I have been told many many times that Alaska is not a State, that it is a territory, that it is not continental and that companies don't ship to foreign countries.
umm...wow. That's absolutely mind-boggling.

I've never been to an Olive Garden. Are they any good? I remember an Applebee's opening up here, and I was quite stunned, as I'd only heard of them for the first time while visiting Knoxville a year or two prior.

#113 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Oh oh oh- There are no Waffle Houses in Canada (as far as I know). And that makes me very very sad Every time I go back home, I eat at Waffle House!

And I WAY prefer M&M's to Smarties (Canadian chocolate smarties). Smarties are just...wierd. lol.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#114 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I've never been to an Olive Garden. Are they any good?
not really. just generic, mediocre chain food. there was some sort of poll in my town a year ago about what national chain most people would like to see come in, and OG won. so we're getting one. I'd much rather see people go out and support local restaurants since they are closing left and right.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

#115 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
not really. just generic, mediocre chain food. there was some sort of poll in my town a year ago about what national chain most people would like to see come in, and OG won. so we're getting one. I'd much rather see people go out and support local restaurants since they are closing left and right.
Yeah. I prefer independent ones, by and large. DH and I hit one chain, in particular - White Spot. It started out local, and is a cherished childhood memory, yk? But, other than that, we mostly hit local independent places. Chains have a lot of edges over the other places, though - more marketing bucks, "known quantity", etc.

#116 of 116 Old 11-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I prefer independent ones, by and large. DH and I hit one chain, in particular - White Spot. It started out local, and is a cherished childhood memory, yk? But, other than that, we mostly hit local independent places. Chains have a lot of edges over the other places, though - more marketing bucks, "known quantity", etc.
I feel ya. can't honestly claim to only eat at local eateries, but in a perfect world, i'd like to!

i don't know that ive ever seen a white spot- but I know that was already discussed in this thread!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page