Man taking pictures at play - what would you have done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I went to see Jekyll and Hyde last week. We sat in the second row behind this guy. At first I wondered if he was from the press, but since the show ended the next night I didn't think so. He didn't have his flash on and he stayed in his seat the whole time, but his camera did shine a light into my eyes when he lifted it to take a picture and it made that digital camera "click I have now stored your picture in my memory" sound when he snapped a photo. He did take an awful lot of pictures.

I tried to ignore it but it was kind of driving me nuts. I am easily distracted (look! a butterfly!) so having a camera pop up and shine a little white light at me every 5 minutes was a little annoying.

I waited until intermission was just about over, and then I said "Sir, could you please not take so many pictures? It's just really distracting."

He said "I'm just trying to get pictures of the whole cast." (by this point, since it's intermission and the play is more than half over, I'm pretty sure he's gotten pictures of the whole cast several times over, but whatever.)

I said "I understand, but it's just distracting." Then the play started back up.

I tried to be polite about it and put on my nice face because I didn't want to offend him. He didn't take any more pictures for the rest of the play. I kinda felt bad because there wasn't a flash on, and he probably wasn't bothering anyone else, but it was bugging me. Am I just too easily bugged?

How would you have handled this?

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Is there a no camera policy? I probably would have asked an usher to say something to him if it was bothering me.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#3 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Is there a no camera policy? I probably would have asked an usher to say something to him if it was bothering me.
I have no idea. There was nothing about it in the program, no announcement was made, this was the first time we had been to this theatre. I totally didn't even think about asking an usher, not that there were any really. It was a really weird theatre experience, honestly. I wonder if they made an announcement that flash photography wasn't allowed, and this guy thought that non-flash would be okay, but we missed the spiel about that as we were a few minutes late (but still in our seats before the play started!)

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#4 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM

I would either ask him gently if he could stop taking photos or fart everytime the camera snapped

There's nothing like a good smell to get your point across..

mischievous.gif
#5 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think you did fine. Holding up anything that blocks your view repeatedly is rude, and you asked him to stop politely, and he did.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM

I'm surprised he was in a seat. Every time I've gone to a play to take photos (and make sure I get the whole cast) I'm usually either on an end seat or just in the aisles. I also make a point a take the photos during dress rehearsal as well, simply because lighting is better. If he was trying to do something for the play itself, he probably took photos at all the shows and during the dress rehearsal, so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Just curious, couldn't you have moved? Even if you only traded seats with your DH. I'm not saying you had to do that - by all means, no - but I'm always afraid of offending those people because I've been so those people so I just try to trade a seat.

PS: he probably wasn't from the press, but sometimes the press does ask for photos, hence another reason to get the whole cast. But again, they usually get dress rehearsal ones because of lighting.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#7 of 9 Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Sounds like maybe he was just friends with teh cast, and taking pictures for them to have/remember the play by or something like that?

CPST
#8 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 AM

Call the theater and see if there's a no camera policy. If there's not, ask if they could think about instituting one or having a special place for cameras to be seated (NOT in the front row). Explain that while you enjoyed the play, this was distracting and you'd rather not deal with it again at the next play you attend there. If there is a no camera policy, ask that it be enforced.

Jenn
#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
Just curious, couldn't you have moved? Even if you only traded seats with your DH. I'm not saying you had to do that - by all means, no - but I'm always afraid of offending those people because I've been so those people so I just try to trade a seat.
No, couldn't have moved. It was a full house and not a really very decent set up for seating anyway. DH was directly behind the guy so he got the camera light too, he just isn't as distracted as me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Sounds like maybe he was just friends with teh cast, and taking pictures for them to have/remember the play by or something like that?
That's what I was thinking, so I did kinda feel bad asking him to stop but sheesh. Also I was very careful to say "don't take as many pictures," so if he had really wanted to get a shot he could have. I don't think I've had minded a shot every 10, 15 minutes, but every 2-5 minutes was getting really annoying.

Also I totally did not enjoy the play and want to call the theater to complain for stealing 4 hours of my life but that's beside the point. I normally LOVE Jekyll and Hyde, but the cast performed each number as if it was a funeral march. So. Incredibly. Slow. This play that is supposed to last 2 hours took over 4. It was awful and I should have left but I wanted DH to see how it ended.

Vegemamato, that would have been a brilliant plan. If I could fart on command anyway

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page