Do you skip/arrive late to family gatherings to watch sports? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryseis View Post
I live in a college town that is pretty attached to its football team. Years ago I was a banquet/wedding coordinator at a hotel. It can be a bit rough to plan a fall wedding because of home football games (no hotel availability), but away game weekends can be okay. A couple had specifically planned their wedding and reception to be AFTER the away Hawkeye game, which was supposed to be 11 a.m., unfortunately (for the couple, not for the Hawks) the game was moved to prime time. So we had to move several TV's into the room so that everybody could stay up on the game, including the bride and groom.

I've also been to other weddings where a lot of Hawkeye football watching took place, often due to games moved to prime time. Fortunately the bride and groom were big fans.
I think I'd have to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
For example, anyone scheduling their wedding on a Saturday in the fall is ridiculed (only half jokingly) for it. It's really considered not nice.
Really? This kinda irritates me and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's because I don't want to have to put my marriage on hold for the sake of a game. A GAME. Dude, if I wanted to get married on my grandparent's anniversary and it was on a Saturday in the fall, and people showed up grumbling because they were missing a game (A GAME) and/or searching out a tv?

Thankfully I got married in the winter Also my friends are mature enough to realize it is a GAAAAAME. AAAHHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I think it's rude. I also think it's rude to have a tv on during a social event, unless the social event is to watch the game.
I think it's rude to have a TV on during a social event too. My grandparents host dinner every month for 60 people. Their house is not very big, and not very well laid out so it's VERY cramped. The TV is always on turned up super loud, the kids are all playing video games (in two different rooms, the kitchen and the living room.) It drives me NUTS. Last time we went some violent TV show was on and Toby got sucked into it. It upset me pretty bad. If you're going to have a TV going for the teenagers/people who act like teenagers ( A GAAAAAME!!) have it on downstairs, away from the main party. But I still think that's lame.

(Did you know LAME rhymes with GAAME?!!)

I've been up for 24 hours now. Can you tell?

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM

I think that in most instances, that is incredibly rude. I mean, if it's just a get-together and not much of a special occasion, then I don't feel like it's that much of a big deal, but doing it for every get-together, special or not, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Not even close to the same thing as watching it live! Replays are usually slow-mo and you don't get the see the lead up or the wind down.
So get a DVR?!?!?! And watch the entire thing?!?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post

So get a DVR?!?!?! And watch the entire thing?!?
It's not the same. At all. To a huge sports fan that would be like watching your kid's first steps on video the nexrt day instead of seeing it in eperson as it was happening.

And let the flames begin b/c I compared baby milestones to stupid chasing a ball around aka sports.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Krisis, you're cracking me up.

ITA. It's a GAAAAAME!!!!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
It's not the same. At all. To a huge sports fan that would be like watching your kid's first steps on video the nexrt day instead of seeing it in eperson as it was happening.

And let the flames begin b/c I compared baby milestones to stupid chasing a ball around aka sports.
so, no flames exactly.
are you talking about watching the game live (as in in person) vs on dvr, or just on tv vs dvr?
because it seems to me that watching it onscreen as it airs wouldn't be so different from watching onscreen later. but i'm not a sports fan, so what do i know!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 PM

I would not be late for that. However, quite a few sessions of our Bradley birthing class had to be rescheduled because the men did not want to miss the games.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
so, no flames exactly.
are you talking about watching the game live (as in in person) vs on dvr, or just on tv vs dvr?
because it seems to me that watching it onscreen as it airs wouldn't be so different from watching onscreen later. but i'm not a sports fan, so what do i know!

On tv. If you watch it later there's bound to be spoilers. Between teh news, internet news headlines, my family (who cannot help themselves and must call every freaking time Jay Cutler throws and interception) I know the outcome of a game within 2 hours even if I missed it.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-15-2009, 04:17 PM

We don't really hang with people that are obsessed with sports. We view it with amusement and don't truly understand it. I like to watch an occasional baseball game, but I'd never revolve my life around something on the TV unless my husband was on a team or something, even then....I'd be hard pressed.

We have family members that enjoy sports, and I have some fond memories of hearing games in the backgrounds at family gatherings, but people that will NOT for anything miss a game, I don't really care for that attitude.

I'm revolted by people screaming at TV's in the same way that I'm revolted by grown adults screaming at video games.

It really freaks me out, this could be due to listening to my own father scream bloody murder at the television during games, or watching grown adults completely lose it and throw game controls while playing "games".

I'm also totally non-competitive and am annoyed by highly competitive people and attitudes.

I wouldn't say anything to people that come late to important gatherings, but I might stop inviting them. I'm live and let live- you be how you are and I'll be how I am. I also keep my stronger opinions to myself because I don't think anyone is acting the way they act to specifically annoy me so whatever.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Back in the day, when the Chicago Bulls ruled the world with Michael Jordan, we were known to arrive around game time. But most people were also huge bulls fans, so it was easy to work around. I can remember retail stores reporting on a game day, a few hours before game, there would be a rush and then dead slow time after start.

The day we were married, the Bulls were in one of the playoffs. We were married at a noon mass and the bridal party took pictures etc. There was plnety of time between the wedding and reception at 6pm. The bridal party stopped at my parents house which had 30 people (friends and family) all changed and watching the bulls game while enjoying a lunch buffet. Even the photographer was sitting around the tv after we got there!

On the flipside, it was the same thing at my ILs house. Everyone was there watching the bulls game until the next picture time assembled at 4:30 at the hotel before the reception for that side of the family. We both come from my family (large) and DH's family huge so we scheduled two picture times for each side. Crazy. Thankfully the Bulls could work their game schedule around our wedding!

Later at the reception, some folks from out of town disappeared here and there. They were in the hotel bar watching the playoffs. THEIR team was also in the playoffs but it was aired later on. thankfully it was the playoffs and not the finals a few weeks later since that could have been a family fued at my wedding LOL

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes. we are doing it now.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
On tv. If you watch it later there's bound to be spoilers. Between teh news, internet news headlines, my family (who cannot help themselves and must call every freaking time Jay Cutler throws and interception) I know the outcome of a game within 2 hours even if I missed it.
Not only that, but when you're watching live you know it's happening right now. When you watch it later you know that the game is all ready over so there is no real reason to get excited since the end has all ready been determined.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Not only that, but when you're watching live you know it's happening right now. When you watch it later you know that the game is all ready over so there is no real reason to get excited since the end has all ready been determined.
Because there is reason to get excited if the end isn't determined? It's not like your own personal excitement has any impact either way. I mean, I get what you're saying, but the idea that a live game generates legitimate excitement, but it's stupid to get excited about a game *that you don't know the ending of* if it's not live... dunno, that makes no sense to me.

I'm happy to let people watch TV at my house on holidays, but it goes off when the meal is served. And I don't feel any social obligation to join in. If I know people at my house want to watch a game, I might schedule around that if possible, but I see that as generosity on my part, not any kind of necessity.

I'm a grinch.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Even if you don't know the end, you do know the end has all ready been determined. When you watch it live, there is no predetermination and you know that. You know that it could go either way, not that it has gone one way that you are just not privy to at the moment. It's all about the mind, not what is known or unknown.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
during a dinner party?

and if your family calls to tell you about a game they know you're watching, they have problems
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
during a dinner party?

and if your family calls to tell you about a game they know you're watching, they have problems
:

No, it just means that it's a shared love. We have a friend that lives across the country that we text during football games to share the experience. If you're not into sports there's really no way to explain how it feels to watch a game. It's like the most exciting movie you've ever seen, and it is unfolding live right in front of your eyes.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
during a dinner party?

We scheduled DD's 1st birthday around football so yeah we have problems according to most of you on this thread. And being obnoxious football fans is the least of my family's problems .

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
:

No, it just means that it's a shared love. We have a friend that lives across the country that we text during football games to share the experience. If you're not into sports there's really no way to explain how it feels to watch a game. It's like the most exciting movie you've ever seen, and it is unfolding live right in front of your eyes.
This! And the food! Oh my gosh certain foods tastes so much better when you're eating them while watching a good game.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My uncle (whom I was very close to growing up) missed my DD's 1st birthday party because the Packers were one. They were even playing the Lions, so it wasn't like they were going to lose. (My DH is a Lions fan ) I was a bit miffed that me and my DD aren't more important than a football game to him.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List