O.K., so I'm a little cranky today, but for the love of all that's holy... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but my biggest peeve is when people use the possessive as plural. Example: The boy's went to town. UGH!!!!!!! The boy's WHAT went to town? father? dog? WHAT?? Plural HAS NO APOSTROPHE!! More forgiving, but still annoying, are the mistakes when the singular form of a word ends in an "s". Example: He took Thomas' pencil. It should be "Thomas's"--but rather unforgiving that the bagel company spells it wrong!
I hate this too, and they do it on all sorts of public signs here.

....and (I hate to do it!) I think you mean "forgivable/unforgivable".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
I've encountered the 'X needs washed' in people from Northern Ireland - funny construction. I would happily say 'X needs washing', but not the other.
Wow, that's great to know! I posted earlier that my MIL and my DH say this and I couldn't figure out where it came from - but MIL's mother was from Northern Ireland

My grandmother was from Ohio (she said Ahia). I have no idea how many of her quirks were, um, Ahian. She had a really unique way of speaking "Give me that there book" or "We was sitting there when John came"
Old 11-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
yes. there is one poster in particular where my head gets all loopy trying to decipher WTH she is typing. whenever i read a new thread and am getting confused i scroll down the post to see if her name is there. (she always signs her post with her name- i don't know what her sn is though) 9 times out of 10, yep, its her.
Oh, crap. I always sign my name - now I am feeling neurotic.

On the "go to thing".....

I am from Ontario, Canada. There are British and American influence on language.

I say: go to school
go to University
go to church

go to the store
go to the hospital
Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
I noticed people in central/southern Indiana do this. The baby needs changed, the dishes need washed, the floor needs mopped. WHERE IS THE TO BE????
im from tx and i say stuff like that sometimes i say to be, but not always

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 11-15-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm from TX and have never heard anyone say that - even deep in the hill country! I am glad too, because I don't think I could be friends with anyone who said that! Not as a judgment, but because I'd be wanting to claw my skin off every time I heard it. One of my best friends can't type a coherent sentence to save her life and it's almost enough for me to not email her any more. I have been a copy editor for way too long, and grammar that's too far gone makes me crazy.

Yeah, party store is what down here we would call a convenience store or a gas station. But up north they are called "party stores" because they sell ice, beer, soda, snacks like you would get for a party. When I hear "party store" my mind instantly goes to Party City or similar.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM

I have tons of family in Boston- I was born there but not raised. They all say "so don't I" but meaning that they do. For example, "I like chocolate" "so don't I"

It drives me batty! Anyone have experience with that one? I always anwser "oh, so do not you?" . They get all pissed

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
Old 11-15-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyann3 View Post
I have tons of family in Boston- I was born there but not raised. They all say "so don't I" but meaning that they do. For example, "I like chocolate" "so don't I"

It drives me batty! Anyone have experience with that one? I always anwser "oh, so do not you?" . They get all pissed
Hmm, I grew up on the North Shore (i.e. north of Boston), and never heard that.

I do hear "I could care less" though (meaning "I couldN'T care less").
Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Then maybe it's just my family! It could be an Irish thing, or south shore. They are from DOTchester (hehe) Quincy and now Weymouth

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyann3 View Post

I've never heard that. Very strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
Hmm, I grew up on the North Shore (i.e. north of Boston), and never heard that.

That one bothers me, too.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
when the singular form of a word ends in an "s". Example: He took Thomas' pencil. It should be "Thomas's"
See, I was taught by a real grammar stickler, and he said that words ending in S, Z, X, etc just take an apotsrophe and not the extra s. I struggle with this one, because my son's name is Phoenix, and I never know how to make his name possessive!
Looks like the chicago style guide oks this use.
from wiki:
"On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an “alternative practice”.[15] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Oh, crap. I always sign my name - now I am feeling neurotic.
nope, not you! sorry to have freaked everyone out! forget all about it! (ps, I went back and checked and the more recent posts are much more coherent than the first few)

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
They do that in So CA to an extent. Like when I lived in NoVA, I'd take 66 into wherever, and then go up 395 or 295. Now I might say "the beltway" or "the toll road" but that's about it. But in CA it was always "the 5" "the 405" "the 10" and so on. But I think named roads were not used with the article.
NO NO NO NO NO NOT IN CALIFORNIA!!! They do this in SOUTHERN California which is like a different state than Northern California. They do NOT do it up in the Central Valley or the Bay Area. It is always I5 OR simply 80, 88, 50, whatever. Never THE 5. However they call it the 5 up here in Oregon and I want to pull my hair out. It's I5 people I5.. Standing for Interstate 5. Not the 5.

Oh I'm sorry that drives me freaking insane. Off to finish reading.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but my biggest peeve is when people use the possessive as plural. Example: The boy's went to town. UGH!!!!!!! The boy's WHAT went to town? father? dog? WHAT?? Plural HAS NO APOSTROPHE!! More forgiving, but still annoying, are the mistakes when the singular form of a word ends in an "s". Example: He took Thomas' pencil. It should be "Thomas's"--but rather unforgiving that the bagel company spells it wrong!
Quote:
See, I was taught by a real grammar stickler, and he said that words ending in S, Z, X, etc just take an apotsrophe and not the extra s. I struggle with this one, because my son's name is Phoenix, and I never know how to make his name possessive!
Looks like the chicago style guide oks this use.
from wiki:
"On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an “alternative practice”.[15] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant."
I was also taught this when I went to a business college. If it ends in S or the S sound you do not add an 'S it is simply S'. I have also had problems with this becuase our last name ends in Z with an S sound. I have had elementary school teachers when I ask them tell me it is z's but sounds stupid cause you are going ses. (of course I have learned that elementary school teachers often don't know what they are talking about in every subject.)

Anyway in this case Thomas' is correct. It should not be Thomas's. (even spell check flagged the second one.)
Old 11-15-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalivia View Post

(And clearly he's a genius for having recognized a pattern of contractions and coming up with that one on his own. Awfully cute, too, if I do say so myself.)
My DD1 said "amn't" for the longest time. I think up until last year (1st grade for her). I also thought she was a language genius for observing contraction patterns and coming up with that one herself. I did not realize it was actually a correct word somewhere. Learn something new...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprildawn View Post
My DD1 said "amn't" for the longest time. I think up until last year (1st grade for her). I also thought she was a language genius for observing contraction patterns and coming up with that one herself. I did not realize it was actually a correct word somewhere. Learn something new...
Well, clearly she's a genius for having such an expansive vocabulary that it can include archaic contractions!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
I'm Irish and say 'amn't' and also 'usedn't to'. Drives my DH nuts! But the latter at least was common about 100 years ago! I'm correct, just not entirely current

I've encountered the 'X needs washed' in people from Northern Ireland - funny construction. I would happily say 'X needs washing', but not the other.

The one that really drives me bananas is the use of two modal verbs together, e.g. 'might could', as in "He might could come over tonight." GRRRR!! You only need one!!

I still use "usedn't to". I guess the Irish like contracting "not". And dh is from the north, is a whole other language up there!

I also say "arfter" instead of "after", and used to say "filum" instead of "film", but that last one got teased out of me.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
My grammar is not poor enough that I care to learn. Fewer vrs. less.. only picky people really care about the difference. The coat needs washed.. well it is said every single day but everyone I know. don't necessarily type the way I speak either. For the most part, what I type is correct. But no.. I was never taught that fewer was quantity and less was mass.
But you know now, so why not start using it correctly? When you know better, you do better and all that.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I was also taught this when I went to a business college. If it ends in S or the S sound you do not add an 'S it is simply S'. I have also had problems with this becuase our last name ends in Z with an S sound. I have had elementary school teachers when I ask them tell me it is z's but sounds stupid cause you are going ses. (of course I have learned that elementary school teachers often don't know what they are talking about in every subject.)

Anyway in this case Thomas' is correct. It should not be Thomas's. (even spell check flagged the second one.)
Boxing day in Ireland is St. Stephen's Day. Most people drop the St. part. But then say "Stephen's's Day". Stephenses. Yup. Totally wrong. But pretty much standard English there.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
But you know now, so why not start using it correctly? When you know better, you do better and all that.
Because knowing the difference between fewer and less in the back of my mind does not equal it coming out of my mouth in every day converstaion.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM

As to singular posessives ending in s (or z or x), I was taught in college that either is correct but whatever you choose should be used consistently in a piece of writing.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
As to singular posessives ending in s (or z or x), I was taught in college that either is correct but whatever you choose should be used consistently in a piece of writing.
yes, thats probably right.
I think what I posted earlier from wiki said that S' was more modern and S'S is more traditional, but both are usually accepted.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalivia View Post
Yeah, I feel that like a scratch I've got to itch.
Quote:
I HATE that one! Why on earth would you scratch at a lesion?
??? I'm confused? Do you not rub or scrape slightly, as with the fingernails, to relieve an irritating skin sensation? Or rather scratch an itch....

straight from dictionary dot com

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM

can someone explain how to use further and farther?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
DH the dictionary says farther is distance and further is figurative, as in , "He wants to advance his career further."
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
DH the dictionary says farther is distance and further is figurative, as in , "He wants to advance his career further."
thank you now i need a trick to remember the rule...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Further is degree or extent - "I will not discuss this further."
Farther is distance - "Let's not walk any farther."
Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
??? I'm confused? Do you not rub or scrape slightly, as with the fingernails, to relieve an irritating skin sensation? Or rather scratch an itch....

straight from dictionary dot com
yeah, you scratch an itch. you don't itch a scratch.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Wait, what's wrong with party store? Is that a kind of store, or is it something else?
Glad you asked that, I was totally confused. "Why do so many people hate parties and party supplies?! I just don't understaaaand!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
Argh I HATE that!

Thanks for explaning the 'S/ S' thing mamas. Since I started going by Kris I have always been paranoid to write anything with an S at the end of my name

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
NO NO NO NO NO NOT IN CALIFORNIA!!! They do this in SOUTHERN California which is like a different state than Northern California.

Oh I'm sorry that drives me freaking insane. Off to finish reading.
ROFL, yeah, SoCal.

The going to church vs. going to the church is interesting. It seems like if I'm attending something on a regular basis, like classes in school or church services then I don't use an article. But I might say "go to the church or school" if I am talking about driving up there to pick something up. It's more that I'm giving my location.

aniT, I thought of you today when we sang Amazing Grace in church. we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
ROFL, yeah, SoCal.

The going to church vs. going to the church is interesting. It seems like if I'm attending something on a regular basis, like classes in school or church services then I don't use an article. But I might say "go to the church or school" if I am talking about driving up there to pick something up. It's more that I'm giving my location.

aniT, I thought of you today when we sang Amazing Grace in church. we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun
It took me a minute to figure out how you could connect me with Amazing Grace.

User Tag List