What are you shopping for on Black Friday? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL I'm avoiding the crowds by going to Theseans. I can just about bet there won't be more than a dozen people there. It's a farm supply store for goodness sake. The 'busy' section might be if they put Carharts or steel toed boots on sale

Fingers xxed they have this on sale! DS wants it so badly!!!!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM

I coupon & will be at CVS for sure, getting lots of stuff for free. Living in a college town, my little 24 hour CVS will likely be totally empty for me. And I am looking for some great deals on a jump drive (for a friend who needs one, is broke as a joke, & like many on this thread simply cannot stomach the mere idea of BF) and a stick vac for our flat.

Last year we got great deals on our cell phones.

I tend to really plan it and wait to purchase stuff we really need/want at either this time or during the after-holiday sales. I don't just go and get whatever... except for CVS this year. I plan on getting whatever I can for free & using it or donating it to those who can. It's like a big puzzle game for me and occupies my mind nicely during the sometimes stressful family gatherings happening earlier in the week.

Grace Comes.

#33 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Nothing...we've celebrated "Buy Nothing Day" in our house for at least a decade now. We don't buy groceries, gas, or shop online, either. If we are missing a key ingredient for our cookie-baking extravaganza we wait until Saturday. No exceptions.
#34 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 10:29 PM

I usually do buy nothing day. However, this year I am looking for a good deal on a combo DVD & VHS player. I currently have a nice sony on layaway at Kmart that's priced at $100. I am seeing so far one advertised at KMart & Sears for $59 then a $10 mail in rebate. It's a magnavox. However, the ad doesn't say if it upgrades to 1080, so it may not be worth it. KMart says they'll have a minimum 10 per store, Sears 2. If I decide to go out, I'll go to KMart and see if I can get one.

Here's a link posted over in frugality & finances:
http://bfads.net/Adscans

Ooh, new sales flyers posted since yesterday.
#35 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Looks like on Thanksgiving Day KMart has the coveted 7.5 foot rotating prelit tree for $130...
#36 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 PM

usually...nothing.

this year? plumbing fixtures. we're in the midst of major renovations (our master bed, bath and the kitchen are gutted at the moment), i work full time, have two kids, and go to school (i'm nuts). this is the only day i'll be able to shop for house stuff in the next couple weeks because of finals and we need to get stuff picked out to stay on track, so off dh and i will go.
#37 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 11:09 PM

I went one year to see what all the hub bub was about. Whew! what a wild morning that was! That was about 4 years ago.
If I hear of some awesome deal that I'm guarunteed to get without getting mauled, then I may go. Otherwise, I'm good.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#38 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
Nothing...we've celebrated "Buy Nothing Day" in our house for at least a decade now. We don't buy groceries, gas, or shop online, either. If we are missing a key ingredient for our cookie-baking extravaganza we wait until Saturday. No exceptions.
Yep, that's my house, too.
#39 of 43 Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Nothing. I'm all about bargains, but I refuse to participate in such an offensive display of greed and consumerism.

I am NOT saying everyone who does take advantage of cheap prices is greedy though! Just the whole "tradition" disturbs me. The way the stores play us consumers is really atrocious.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#40 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 06:17 PM
pjs

My O magazine didn't have a 20% off coupon this month- other than ebay anyone know where I might find one?

And what about Janie and Jack- do they offer any good deals?
#41 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
My O magazine didn't have a 20% off coupon this month- other than ebay anyone know where I might find one?

And what about Janie and Jack- do they offer any good deals?
November Cookie Magazine has 20% off coupon good until Nov 30th - pg 53

November Parenting (the early years and school years) Magazine has 20% off coupon good until Nov 30th

^^ for gymboree. Not sure what deals J&J have for Black Friday.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#42 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM
pjs

Thanks!
#43 of 43 Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 PM

I don't have a final list yet but I'm working on it. Depends on what I find on everyone's Christmas wish lists on Thanksgiving... I love Black Friday! The people, the challenge, the fabulous prices... I take a vacation day for it!

I plan to shop Thanksgiving morning, do some online shopping Thanksigivng evening, then start my 'real' shopping at midnight. I need to be back home by 7:00 so DH can leave for work. I am counting the days!

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page