loving my hand held blender - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably only take this thing out 4-5 times a year but when I do I love it!!

I just finished roasting some suger pumpkins and butter nut squash. Threw them into the same pot I sauteed the onions and bay leaves in, added cream, stock, butter and spices and walla!! Soup is done!!

Same with my sweet potato casserole. Boiled the taters, drain then put back in the same pot, add butter, brown suger and spices. Quick blend and they are ready to be topped with the raw walnut crumble I made yesterday and baked.

So how odd am I that a mere appliance can make me so happy??

this is (todays) love of my life, I paid $19.99 10 years ago!

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#2 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Yup, love my submersion blender too. It got a work out Monday for the cranberry Chutney and will again tonight for hte white and sweet potatoes. It also worked for making baby food for the small time we used purees.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#3 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

ah yes, the craberry relish. I usually make that in my cusinart because I make so much but since the hand blender is out......

BTW (and nothing to do with blenders, LOL) this is my new favorite craberry relish. It is so, so good that poeple have started requesting it. I make a ton and bring as a hostess gift thru the holiday season.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...inot-Noir-4383

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups cranberries (about 8 ounces)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cups Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
Large pinch of Chinese five-spice powder

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and fresh ginger; stir until cranberries begin to burst, about 3 minutes. Add wine and sugar; boil until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Add crystallized ginger, curry powder and five-spice powder. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill.) Serve sauce cold or, if desired, rewarm over low heat, stirring often.

#4 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM

I have one but have never used it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use my hand blender almost every week, when I make a creamy (but dairy-free) broccolli soup that DD2 enjoys packing in her school lunch.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 03:58 PM

I adore mine, too. I just made broccoli soup with it. It is awesome for pureed soups because you don't have to transfer it all to a blender little by little which is a huge pain and makes a huge mess.
#7 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
It is awesome for pureed soups because you don't have to transfer it all to a blender little by little which is a huge pain and makes a huge mess.
You can make a cream of X soup from almost anything in minutes with a hand held blender!
Some of them are dysfunctional though... I tried to make cream of root veggie soup at my mom's once and realized at the crucial point that her handheld doesn't really work, so it took me a good 20 minutes to get the soup blended up instead of 2 minutes like it normally takes.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Yes, I love mine too! Or we do. We use it all the time.
We have this one, with those additions, I think I payed like 80-90$ for it.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#9 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

mine came w/ everything that one does except for the whisk for 19.99! I dont think the whisk would cost $60! Must go check since i know they sell attachements.

#10 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post
mine came w/ everything that one does except for the whisk for 19.99! I dont think the whisk would cost $60! Must go check since i know they sell attachements.
I don't know, but it might be totally different price levels. We live in scandinavia. And mine is not concidered expensive at all, and is one of the cheaper models, with those two attachments. The cheapest I've seen without attachments are just around 35$. (No way you would get one here for 19.99$, unless second hand.)

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#11 of 11 Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

that must be it. Here in the US small appliances work under a really low margin/markup. When I was a buyer for items like these we might pay $10-12 and retail for $29.99 fulleyexpecting to sell the majority at $19.99 w/ the vendor kicking in $$ to cover the markdown dollars. Unlike the speciality retailer I work for now that gets huge markup! We pay $5 bucks for a novelty tee that we can retail for $39 and then promote at $24.99.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page