Can someone please explain to me the difference between an ipod touch 2nd generation & the new ipod touch 3rd generation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to decide between these 2 things & I can't find any info on what might be different besides price, anyone want to chime in? Thanks!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM

The 3rd gen iPod Touches have more storage space and come with the new headphones with a remote and microphone on the wire.
#3 of 6 Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#4 of 6 Old 11-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Actually, I don't think storage space is that much different. I have an 8gig 2nd generation which storage wise is the same as an 8 gig 3rd gen.

I think the third gen actually has a camera and external speaker. VERY handy if you have kids. I want to trade mine in. Mine's less than a year old, but the price has dropped significantly.

I would go 3rd gen. They were just on sale Friday...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM

I have a 16GB 2nd Gen and it has an external speaker. No camera though.

The biggest difference (I believe) is the upgraded software and processing time, but apparently there's not much difference there between the 8GB 2nd gen and 8GB 3rd gen. With the 2nd gen, you can spend $5 and upgrade the software and you've got a very similar product. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html

The new feature on the 3rd gen is the microphone/voice control. You can hold down the button and then say a command. This is a useless feature for me, since my house would never be quiet enough for the iPod to understand me.

There is no camera on any of the Touches right now.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#6 of 6 Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Ah. Maybe I'm thinking of the iphone or the new DS. For some reason I thought my brother said his has a camera. Sorry about the confusion!

But for the external speaker alone, I say it's worth it. And as soon as I got my 2g I had to update all of my software and spend $10 and then a couple month later I had to do the same thing. So really, the price ended up evening out to the 3G after all that.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page