So I baked cookies w/my 2 year old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eww, toddlers can be so gross!!! I mean I knew this, but I've never decorated cookies with her before. She licked her hands and finger painted frosting on the cookies, licked the cookies, etc. She was having so much fun, I didn't have the heart to stop her, but I would never feed those to people. The dog now has some awesome gourmet cookies though.

I used to sit for some toddlers years ago and they gave me homemade cookies and brownies for my birthday and the holidays. I'm hoping they were much neater than my kid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 PM

I bake with DS quite a bit so I know what your talking about

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areia View Post
Eww, toddlers can be so gross!!! I mean I knew this, but I've never decorated cookies with her before. She licked her hands and finger painted frosting on the cookies, licked the cookies, etc. She was having so much fun, I didn't have the heart to stop her, but I would never feed those to people. The dog now has some awesome gourmet cookies though.

I used to sit for some toddlers years ago and they gave me homemade cookies and brownies for my birthday and the holidays. I'm hoping they were much neater than my kid!
I wouldn't feed them to the dog. I would eat them.

I do have a high tolerance for gross and am not a germaphobe by ANY stretch.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post
I wouldn't feed them to the dog. I would eat them.

I do have a high tolerance for gross and am not a germaphobe by ANY stretch.
yep. me too.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

They're "family germs" - I'd eat them. The dog can have one or two, though!

lady.gif
Old 11-29-2009, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

This is because you are a better mom than I. You actually let her really do it. I would have watched her for a half a second, feeling my blood pressure rise, given her her own 3 cookies to mess with, and taken over the rest.

Not a germaphobe, just a control freak. About cooking anyway. Not so much about anything else.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
This is because you are a better mom than I. You actually let her really do it. I would have watched her for a half a second, feeling my blood pressure rise, given her her own 3 cookies to mess with, and taken over the rest.

Not a germaphobe, just a control freak. About cooking anyway. Not so much about anything else.
That is exactly what I would do too. I'd really want her to have fun....but the OCD perfectionist in me would've had an internal freak out session and then taken away most of the cookies to decorate myself. *sigh* I try to be the mom that just lets my girls have fun with stuff like that...I'm getting better...really....

Good for you Areia for letting your son have fun and "help". However I agree that they're "family germs" and we would've eaten them. I wouldn't give any away though so I think the brownies and such you got from the toddlers you used to sit for were most likely ok.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM

hahaha. I too am a complete control freak when it comes to "my kitchen" so I tend to force myself once a week or so to let the kids help, or let oldest DD actually cook a meal without my interfering. It's hard, but worth it.

I'd totally eat them too though, yeah, toddlers are GROSS but absolutely adorable. Eh, just figure that the heat cooked off any of the germs

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
we do a batch of "kid cookies" and a batch of "boring adult cookies" my childfree friends know to ask which batch it is before snagging a cookie
Old 11-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My oldest is 4 now, and he's pretty good about not licking everything. (Not that that bothers me too much at this point - I'd eat it anyway.) My 2yo, on the other hand, can decorate one or two cookies and then he's done. He's always sticking his fingers up his nose or shoving his hands down his pants and that's just way too ewww for me to handle!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Most of the time DS (almost 3) is great to cook with. He loves baking, stirring, mixing, measuring, pouring. We mostly do muffins & breads though, or cookies that don't require decorating. He usually looses interest at some point and wanders off.

We did decorate some gingerbread cookies last year, though, from a kit someone gave us. He was more interested in eating the icing & decorations than actually "working" at making a cookie.

User Tag List