Rant about door to door (school) fundraising. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 49 Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two weeks ago, I had similar solicitors--at 10:00 on Saturday night! I don't answer the door to anyone either and it's a gated community. I called through the door and asked if something was wrong. I mean it was 10 at night, no one would knock if not an emergency. This 20ish y.o. girl starts telling me about how she's working on raising money for a scholarship program by selling mags, etc. I said I'm not interested and moved away from the door. She knocked again and kept talking. She also used the line about my neighbor having bought from them. I called security. Before the guard could even get to my place, two different people had knocked on the door. Security said there were 10 of them travelling together and ran them off the property.
I initially felt bad for calling security on college kids trying to raise funds, but having read the above link, I'm convinced this group was not legit. Also, it was 10 o'clock at night. Who collects donations at that time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM

I have a no soliciting sign on my door, and I have no compunction being rude to people who ignore it. My favourite line being "Why would I give my money to a company who hires people who can't even read a sign".

And if I'm paying for any kid's sporting activity, it's going to be my own, not someone else's.
#33 of 49 Old 12-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Um,when you say scam,what do you mean? Just that the money doesn't go for a good cause? or you don't get whatever you are suppose to?

cause I've done this twice,and both times I got the magazines, (one I am still getting,actually) and nothing nefarious happened with my chequing account. But if it's a scam,i don't want to give them any business,yanno?

the first guy I bought from told me my neighbours turned him down and said if they had extra money,they'd buy pot. This guy was fialry pushy,and kept flirting with me,obviously to make a sale. I was so scared after it was a scam, but I did get hte magazines. so hte enxt time, i didn't let the guy finish what he had to say,i just asked for the list of magazines, picked what I wanted, and wrote a cheque. Prolly his easiest sale ever.
#34 of 49 Old 12-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore35 View Post
Um,when you say scam,what do you mean? Just that the money doesn't go for a good cause? or you don't get whatever you are suppose to?
They're usually wildly marked up from the marked subscription price, and the money does NOT go to whatever charity they say they're selling for. The money doesn't even go to the kids, who are told that they'll be paid for their work and usually aren't.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#35 of 49 Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#36 of 49 Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

I was scammed by one of those a few Christmases ago, and I DID give them a check. Never got a magazine, but my identity wasn't stolen or anything either. The guy was super fishy but I was younger and not very sure of myself and didn't know how to say no.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#37 of 49 Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 PM

If I'm not alone in the house, and if the solicitor is a girl or a slight boy, I offer to drive them to the bus station and pay for a ticket home to their parents. I do this for political groups too. A lot of those kids are brainwashed and they can't get home.

If I am alone in the house, or if it's a big dude, I won't answer the door.
#38 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I have a no soliciting sign on my door, and I have no compunction being rude to people who ignore it. My favourite line being "Why would I give my money to a company who hires people who can't even read a sign".
Ha! Nice. I like that.

Quote:
And if I'm paying for any kid's sporting activity, it's going to be my own, not someone else's.
Totally. If I have enough to spare, I like to share the wealth, but in general door to door charities and sales sort of bug because if I was going to spend 50 bucks on a charity, I'd go do it. Or already have. You don't have to come to me. But at the same time, if I don't have it, I don't have it, and I'm not going to feel bad for not supporting another cause when I'm saving for my own. You know? I also don't mind helping out the young neighborhood kids. In our old neighborhood we knew all the kids and it was a close knit little neighborhood, and I liked helping them out. The creepy dude from the other day, not so much.

I was thinking of something else the other day too. At our local grocery store they have donation vouchers that are $1, $3, and $5. I went to the store the other day and got a $5 voucher while I was there. I then ended up having to go back in the afternoon to pick something up for a family member, and got out to the parking lot and realized I forgot something so I had to go back in. I had already got a $5 voucher earlier, and the next two times I went into the store I got different cashiers and both asked me if I wanted to donate. I said no thank-you. The last time, the time I forgot something in the parking lot and had to run back in, the guy behind me, as I was putting my wallet away and grabbing my bag, said really snottily "I'll be HAPPY to get a voucher!", as if he thought I was being cheap. I just donated 5 bucks a few hours ago!

I dunno, I just think with the umpteen signs, the jar on the counter, and the check out lanes covered in signed donation vouchers is enough to make people aware that they're accepting donations that they don't have to ask people, sometimes multiple times per DAY, if they want to donate. I think it puts people who are not in a position to donate in an awkward position, and it makes those of us who can't donate multiple times per day look cheap when people don't know you already donated just a few hours prior.

And Santas jingling bells in front of the mall. Same thing. We know you're there. Please don't ask. And please don't ask me twice - once on the way in, and once on the way out, especially if I already donated on the way in.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#39 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 AM

I've had a few friends in the past that have sold magazine subscriptions in the manner being discussed here. The whole "fundraising for a trip/college/etc." is a big old lie. It's just the shtick they use to get sympathy buyers. Usually, at least in the case of the individuals I've personally known that have done it, a group of people get together, and travel all over (not unlike locusts) covering areas with various pitches to get people to buy. One of the reasons they're so pushy is because they won't be in your area after that particular day.

It's a pushy, commission only solicitation sales job like any other.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#40 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 AM

These people show up here a couple times a year too. They come one after another and are super pushy. The very first time someone came I was young and didn't have the capacity to say no to anyone even though I didn't really have much money. I ordered a magazine and wrote a check but the magazine never came.

That has been my defense from then on that I can no longer trust them. This last set was a little harder though. First off they showed me their permit to be selling and asked if they would have those if it was a scam. Then after I said I never got my stuff years ago the guy says "if you came home and there was pee on your floor would you kick both your dogs?" yeah I wouldn't kick my dogs anyway...
I love to buy stuff from children though selling stuff for sports and the schools! I need a no solicitors unless children sign lol!
#41 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post
Then after I said I never got my stuff years ago the guy says "if you came home and there was pee on your floor would you kick both your dogs?" yeah I wouldn't kick my dogs anyway...

Wow.

#42 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM

We used to get this all.the.time at our old house. I wouldn't open the door and they would stand there and ring the bell forever. Drove me insane.

Now I'm in a gated community and they can't get in. I LOVE not getting door to door salespeople.

hippiechickinsing, how they heck did they get in? Climb the fence?
#43 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm so glad I read this thread. These magazine sellers occasionally come to our neighborhood, and I usually shut them down right away by saying, "No, I don't have money to spare, I'm a grad student." They always back off at that point. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I look like I have no money, but it's working for now! I guess I'll have to figure out a new tactic once I graduate and get a car that's less than ten years old.

At least they haven't tried to recruit me...yet....

9/2011 items decluttered
#44 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Total scam. I don't buy from them either.

The only school functions I support are kids I know. If my neighbors want to sell me magazines, fine. If some random "college kid" wants to, nope, not happening.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#45 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 05:34 PM

I had some come by our house a few months ago. I told them to come back later when dh was home, as he was the one who has all the magazine subscriptions (totally stupid on my part, I know that now). When they left I called the non-emergency line for the police dept.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#46 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM

About 10 years ago I interviewed for one of these companies. They ADVERTISED in the paper for young adults to travel the country and make money. Luckily, I was young, but not naive...What freaked me out..
1.) The interview was at a hotel...Not in a conference room..But in a ROOM...
2.) He wanted me to board a plane..The next day..
3.) He wanted to hire me, because I was pretty.

When I said I'd need more time than that to think about leaving, he told me he promised I'd have fun because all of the hot young guys that worked there....And if I hated it, he PROMISED they'd fly me back home.

Umm....I'll pass, thanks!
#47 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 PM

I always tell them the same thing I tell telemarketers: I am broke and I don't give money to solicitors ever because I don't like to be solicited.

They always try to make the sale anyway. I repeat myself once and say goodbye.
#48 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post

hippiechickinsing, how they heck did they get in? Climb the fence?
Yeah, I can assure you I asked that, too. I'm not convinced the gate guards are as vigilant as they ought to be. I think if you can come up with someone's name, they're inclined to let you in. Hopefully this was a wake-up call.
#49 of 49 Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
About 10 years ago I interviewed for one of these companies. They ADVERTISED in the paper for young adults to travel the country and make money. Luckily, I was young, but not naive...What freaked me out..
1.) The interview was at a hotel...Not in a conference room..But in a ROOM...
2.) He wanted me to board a plane..The next day..
3.) He wanted to hire me, because I was pretty.

When I said I'd need more time than that to think about leaving, he told me he promised I'd have fun because all of the hot young guys that worked there....And if I hated it, he PROMISED they'd fly me back home.

Umm....I'll pass, thanks!
Ewww.... slimy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page