Holiday cards sent vs. Holiday cards received - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many holiday cards do you typically send every year and how does that compare to how many you receive.

We've been sending about 120 and receiving about 60.

I'm done sending a card to the same people year after year after year and never getting one in return. This year I only ordered 100 and the list is being trimmed. Next year I'm cutting even more off the list. Between the cost of the photo cards and the postage it's too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Wow! thats a lot of cards. I normally only send cards to family and a few close friends. But I have noticed that every yr the received cards become less and less. Since I do photo cards as well I have to keep my # low, but I do also purchase a pkg of regular christmas cards to include with small teacher gifts and treats for the neighbors but I wouldnt say its more than 40?
#3 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 PM

That is a lot of cards! I send about 20. I have received 3.

Live and love with your whole being.
#4 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 PM

DH and I were talking about this just the other night and were sort of bummed about it. We sent out 40 and have received 9. Sure, there are still some mailing days left until the holiday, but this is a HUGE cut back from what we received last year - close to 25!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

i send zero and recieve 2. of those two, one is a good friend and i give them a card anyway, with their gift (usually a gift card). i'm surprised i'm not off the other's list.
#6 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sent: zero. received: zero, so far.

I don't understand the point of Christmas cards. I guess it's nice if there is a letter about what people have been doing, but who has time for that?!?! (not me )

Actually, I do plan to send one card this year, but that is for an old friend who apparently is in jail at the moment (for pot). So it's the only way I can send him a Christmas greeting.

Generally speaking, i think they are a waste of paper.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#7 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
sent: zero. received: zero, so far.

I don't understand the point of Christmas cards. I guess it's nice if there is a letter about what people have been doing, but who has time for that?!?! (not me )

Generally speaking, i think they are a waste of paper.
#8 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Last year I sent 75 and received 25. I was really bummed out. I vowed to cut people off the list.

This year I sent 75 (some new folks replaced those cut) and have received about 20 so far.

I really enjoy sending cards and I have a huge family. I also LOVE to receive cards. I love to see all the different ones and read the news and see the pics. I try not to get down when I don't receive as many, but it's hard not to.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#9 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Wow I don't even know 120 people's addresses! We've sent out...um...5. So far we've received 3.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#10 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Wow, I thought my SIL sent out alot at 55! I don't think I could even think of 120 people to send cards to and I have a huge family .

I usually send out maybe 25-ish and tend to get back around 10 at most. Yeah, it actually does bother me a bit, I can't lie about that.

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
#11 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Every year I have sent 30. I receive probably about that many back, but have never counted. This year I didn't send any. I have no idea why, other than I didn't feel like it. Partly cost I guess, but really not even that so much. I just simply didn't feel like it. and I'm totally okay with it. I have no idea how I'll feel next year. Maybe this is my new trend of not sending cards?
I was thinking of Ecards, but never got around to it.
It is very wasteful...although tbh I really do like getting them. It makes my mailbox happy for a few weeks.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#12 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 08:59 PM

I usually send about 20 - haven't mailed them yet this year, though. They're going to be really late.

I usually get anywhere from 5 to 10. I'm good with that.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 PM

I usually send out about 25-30. I usually make my own photo cards.

But this year, I only sent out 21, because we got them when we got our family photos done. 6 were free with our package, and I paid for another 15. I would like to send more, but I don't have the energy at 8.5 mos pgs to do it this year.

We usually get around 20, but I was just commenting this year that we only got 2 or 3 so far.

I think the rule is, in general, if you receive one from a person, you send one in return. If you're only getting 60 cards, I'd only be sending out about the same. I mean, why waste the money? Unless it's like great aunt edna or whatever. Could be the only card she gets & she'll remember you in her will. Ho ho ho!
#14 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Bea

I send about 20 and recieve the same.

I only send to cards to those that send cards

My parents send about 200 and get the same. They don't put up decorations other than the tree, just string the cards all round the room. It looks lovely. I suppose when you reach 70 yo, you've amassed a lot of friends and relatives.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#15 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 PM

I send about 100. I receive about 20ish I'd guess. I don't count. There are lots of people I send cards to that I don't expect to send cards to me. I mostly recieve cards from local friends with kids and a few family members at a similar stage of life (who have youngish kids). I never receive cards from people pre-kids, and I rarely receive cards from people with grown kids.

I live out of state from almost all of my BIG and tight knit family. I send cards to: family - my siblings, DH's siblings, our parents and grandparents, all of our aunts and uncles (my mom's 7 siblings, step-dads 4 siblings, dads 4 siblings, FIL's 5 siblings, and MIL's 3 siblings), all of my adult cousins on my mom's side, and a few other adult cousins of mine; a few adults from my childhood that were big parts of my life (church youth advisors and such); local friends from church (roughly 25 families I'd guess); other local friends and neighbors; a few close friends from HS I'm still in contact with....

I send out pictures of my girls. This year I did a great trifold that combined a birth announcement for DD2 and a winter card. Every year I think I should write a this is what we've been up to letter to go with them, but I never have. This year I'm slipping in thank you notes from baby gifts for DD2 as well

I often see these cards still on display many months later when I visit out of town family, or even local friends. They might not send cards in return, but they really enjoy getting updated pictures of my little ones.

I do just having the cards we receive up on our mantel - mostly picture cards with lots of pictures of beautiful little ones. However, I send cards to send our love and send a sweet updated picture of my little ones. I don't do it with an expectation of receiving one back.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#16 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 PM

I used to send out 100 every year. Some years our year felt so crappy that I just did not want to bother. Last year I hand-made beautiful cards and sent about 20.

It's not that I don't love people, but let's see - my FIL died, my Dh has been unemployed for months, we're alive and healthy but it has been a rough year. And my semester ended Tuesday, so I would have to be feeling a big holiday push to get cards out, and I'm not.

I do enjoy getting cards, but this year sending them is not going to happen.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#17 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post

I think the rule is, in general, if you receive one from a person, you send one in return. If you're only getting 60 cards, I'd only be sending out about the same. I mean, why waste the money? Unless it's like great aunt edna or whatever. Could be the only card she gets & she'll remember you in her will. Ho ho ho!
Well that's partly it for us. Not the will bit but we have some family that we never get cards from, however we know that they love getting our cards with the picture of the kids every year. so even though DP's uncle have never sent us a card in the 10 years I've been sending them cards, they stay on the list. Then there are the old ladies from church. They love getting them too, and only about half of the 6 or 8 of those ladies send cards in return, those who don't send cards in return come and thank me on Sunday morning for thinking of them.
#18 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM

This year I decided to send them out to those who sent me one -- not so much b/c I think others don't deserve pics of my cute kids but b/c it gives me instant access to their address, and I can write it out on my envelopes. Then I don't feel obligated to get them out in time to other people. And actually, I haven't mailed any yet - they are addressed and stamped - but sitting on the seat in my car.

Anyhow, I only ordered a set of 24 (I think) so that is obviously the max amount I will send (but I'm sure we won't receive that many - lots of people we know are child-less, unmarried, etc., and not really the holiday card sending type.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
we've sent zero and gotten about 10 so far. I consider it a waste of paper (except for the picture-cards; I like those)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#20 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 10:13 PM

We sent 70 this year and have gotten 1 so far. Definitely far fewer this year than normal. But I know a lot of our friends and family have really tightened their budgets and I also know a bunch are really busy and running behind schedule. I expect a handful more to arrive the day before Christmas.
#21 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 PM

last year we sent out 50 and got back close to that number.

this year we are way behind on sending, and may not even do so depending on money-but i have already received 20+

last year we did say happy new year and sent them a bit later-and i may have to do that this year-with xmas money from family-that sort of thing.

i like sending a card with a family picture of us and the girls-i want our far flung family and friends to know that despite our financial hardships, we are happy with each other and to see the changes in the kids from year to year.

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#22 of 59 Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 PM

I'm sad that this, along with letters, is a dying art.
#23 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 AM

We've gotten 4 or 5 so far. We've sent about 70. Hmm... so why do we do this again? Maybe I'll write down who we get cards from this year. I know I'll get a bunch more, but not as many as we send.

I remember my mom had a section in the back of her address book for keeping track of who you sent Christmas cards to and who you recieved them from. There were all these little checkboxes to keep track over the years. That sounds like a really good idea right about now.
#24 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
I'm sad that this, along with letters, is a dying art.
I don't understand this. What "art" is sending out holiday cards? We've received around 10 so far this year, and they are either computer generated photo cards (and therefore not signed by a person) or a regular holiday card with a signature. I think it's nice that people sent us these, but it's not like they're very personal or took much time, kwim?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge.

A happy woman
#25 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 AM

I don't usually send them, but I am this year, with some pics of all of us. I'm sending 30. We usually get about 10, which is fine with me. I'm not sending them expecting to get cards back. I can see being miffed about sending out unreciprocated gifts, but not cards IMO. If you don't want to send them, don't send them! Each one should not be that pricey that it would make sense to track who you get them from!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#26 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We'll send out 75 and we'll get around 50. The 25 people who we won't get cards from our relatives that don't do cards or whatever. I don't care really. I enjoy sending them. I enjoy the Christmas card tradition. And I really like getting photo cards. It's nice to see pics of the kids all growing up. I've received 25 cards so far this year.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#27 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM

I love sending cards, I don't expect them back though. I have so far only received 2. It's funny. I have been divorced for about 5 years, remarried this year, and my great uncle and his wife send cards every year very early, sent a card to Mr. and Mrs *my X husband's last name* I think that is sad, it's like they are just going through the motions. I don't even know him anymore (since he remarried after my great aunt died)

That said, I have yet to fill out my cards. Maybe I'll get them out Saturday (it is supposed to snow 6-12" though, poor postman. This year I may forego sending them because of my procrastination.

Whatever will be, already is...

#28 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
I don't understand this. What "art" is sending out holiday cards? We've received around 10 so far this year, and they are either computer generated photo cards (and therefore not signed by a person) or a regular holiday card with a signature. I think it's nice that people sent us these, but it's not like they're very personal or took much time, kwim?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge.
I don't know but in my circle, quite a few people actually touch base with their card. Often a little not enclosed saying what is going on...I think that is what is meant that this is a dying art. In this busy world it says something that one would talke time to even go through the process.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#29 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 AM

I send out more than I receive. Oh well. I usually trim the list each year.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#30 of 59 Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

This is such an issue for me. I do all the cards and I LIKE doing cards. I really do. I like writing a little message in them. Finding the perfect pen, etc. BUT we send out about 120-150 cards each year. We usually get maybe 30.

Most of the list comprises of people DH knew growing up - old family friends...of his parents. Yeah. We haven't heard from these people in years. Most likely because his parents tell everyone I'm a gold digging witch. DH has nothing to do with the cards yet he won't agree to cut the list.

This year we didn't due any because of budget cuts around here. We've only received about 8 cards so I think a LOT of people have cut their lists.

Next year I'm thinking I send cards out to only those people who I actually know on the list. I'm really just done sending cards to strangers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page