HELP! Need ideas for DH gift, fast! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
let me start out by saying I stink at shopping...and my DH is IMPOSSIBLE to shop for! He buys everything he wants/needs all year round...so far I've bought him boxers...I almost bought a tie...I need help! last year I got him slippers...I suck, I know...

Time is ticking...I need some ideas of something to buy or make for him under $50... I have no idea what to get
#2 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 AM

I wish I could be of help, but I am in the same boat. So hard to buy for someone that gets what he needs/wants for himself.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#3 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 AM

A gift certificate to somewhere he normally shops?

A "coupon" for an activity, like a massage, meal of his choice, outing of his choice, etc.?

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#4 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Mine is getting a belt and a wallet. His are worn but he hasn't gotten around to replacing them yet.

Mom to (5) (9)
#5 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Ok

Mine is always taking my scissors, so I've bought him a set of 10 of his own. He is also getting coffee. And an AC/DC video.
#6 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm planning to get some fun socks (it's not Christmas without socks) and fill them with whatever snacks I find in the supermarket tomorrow.
#7 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM

I would be getting DP an e-Reader this Christmas, if I had the money.

He also like audio books, so when I'm stuck, I get him an audibook, and I know those will always get used.

I do buy him clothes, usually, for the holidays, as he rarely shops for himself.

Other Christmases, I have gotten him shows that I know he likes, i.e. Star Trek, Rome, etc.

This year it's beef jerkey, candy, $15 coffee shop card, and a poem. I'm also trying to make a DVD with our pictures for the past three years playing to music, but I'm not sure I'll get that to work.

Love is all you need!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#8 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Love is all you need!
this is what I say!!! Honestly I hate all the gift giving at this time of year. Detracts from all the fun we could be having. $ spent, time finding the stuff, wrapping...and then most people take it all back! I just want time with my hubby so I can treat him right...but THAT is something I can't buy

so clothes isn't a 'bad' gift? I just feel like I'm playing mommy when I do gifts like that...

I do know everyone is getting a Tanka Bar in their stocking...other than that can't we just go sledding? ...

yep. I'm a scrooge when it comes to this part of the holiday...
#9 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Mine is getting a print that he saw this summer and liked and I secretly bought it, two shirts and a super-hot beef jerky from a local place.
#10 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM

MP3/4 player

video game

computer game

books

art supplies (palette, canvas, paint, brushes?)

art class (perhaps oil painting or sculpting or pottery wheel?)

take the children to a paint-your-own-pottery place and have them paint him
a plate and a mug? babies' foot and hand prints make gorgeous decorations

beard trimmer or electric razor

remote control car or boat

boom box

laptop bag

clothing

watch

board game

fancy pen

DVD movies

iTunes gift card or CDs

book light

pair of pretty good earphones or headphones
#11 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM

This prob. wont' help, but here is what I've gotten mine:
Ipod ear buds. (he only has big ol ear phones and wanted some ear buds for running)
Case for video camera (he got the video thing for his birthday but didn't receive any extras for it)
I also did boxers
Favorite chocolates (gets them every year in his stocking)

I guess what I am saying is, are there little things you can get him to add on to the stuff he already has? Little extras that might have been forgotten, or just no effort spent getting them.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#12 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post

board game
That's a great gift (at least in our house ), and I know exactly which ones DP would want. I've done it in the past. If I didn't know his preference, I'd get him a gift card to the local board game store. The whole family will enjoy!

Oh, I forgot to add... I did a "whole family" gift this year, and I got a set of refrigirator magnets to leave messages for each other: Basic Set + Italian set (DP is from Sicily). The sets come with 400 words. I can't wait to use it.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#13 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 PM

I don't buy for dh the kid's did this year.

He is getting a new belt, accessories to his Wii, and a new shirt.

I did go all out three years ago and it was themed and I wrote a letter telling him how much I loved him and each line in the story coincided with a gift. It was a ton of work, but well it's all laid in the storage room untouched since. So I just gave up.

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!
#14 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

boxers and bison jerky it is... the 'kids' got him all the cool stuff already...

do you think lingere for me would be construed as a gift for him?...
#15 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
board game
My mom got us a couple board games for Christmas this year. Best gift ever since it has built in "couple time" (at least until ds gets older and wants to play with us.... then it's "family time").

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
do you think lingere for me would be construed as a gift for him?...
Well.... I'll tell you what I'm doing this year. I got this "skirt", a pair of sexy thigh high Christmas socks, these (don't know if I can say on here what they are, so scroll down to the red heart pair.... not a site to open around children, probably!) and I'll add in a pair of my black high heels.

The plan will be on Christmas Eve after ds is asleep to give dp a box and tell him to open it while I run upstairs. In the box will be a letter to him. At the end of that letter it'll lead him to another place in the house, where another little letter will be waiting (more than likely it'll be something I love about him at each letter). It will lead him around the house until finally it leads him up to the bedroom, where I will be waiting.... wearing that. And we'll keep it G rated from there

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#16 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM

My DH is great in the kitchen so this year I got him an Aerogarden to grow basil and other herbs indoors. It was $49. I hope he likes it!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#17 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM

This is exactly why DH and I stopped exchanging gifts years ago. Nana asked me what to get him this year and I couldn't tell her a single thing.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#18 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
My mom got us a couple board games for Christmas this year. Best gift ever since it has built in "couple time" (at least until ds gets older and wants to play with us.... then it's "family time").

Well.... I'll tell you what I'm doing this year. I got this "skirt", a pair of sexy thigh high Christmas socks, these (don't know if I can say on here what they are, so scroll down to the red heart pair.... not a site to open around children, probably!) and I'll add in a pair of my black high heels.

The plan will be on Christmas Eve after ds is asleep to give dp a box and tell him to open it while I run upstairs. In the box will be a letter to him. At the end of that letter it'll lead him to another place in the house, where another little letter will be waiting (more than likely it'll be something I love about him at each letter). It will lead him around the house until finally it leads him up to the bedroom, where I will be waiting.... wearing that. And we'll keep it G rated from there
cute!!! I think he'd love that gift for sure
#19 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 PM

I say go with something that can’t be given in front of the kids/family My DH always loves those kinds of gifts. One year I made him a gift bag of stuff for “us”. Massage oils, candles, some other goodies that would probably violate the UA here... but you get the idea!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#20 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM

I got DH a cashmere muffler this year -- he always buys what he NEEDS, but he never buys himself luxuries. Something practical but much nicer/more expensive than he would ever buy for himself is perfect.

Or how about a bottle of expensive wine or whiskey? A book or computer game or CD he'd like? Sausage?
#21 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM

I would LOVE to get him some really nice "unmentionables" (as seen in the links above) , but I don't think I would be very able to display them (or demonstrate their "purpose" very well) at this time. What, with me being 1,000 months pg!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#22 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Bowling ball. I found a couple of new undrilled ones on craigslist for about $30-$35.
#23 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I just want time with my hubby so I can treat him right...but THAT is something I can't buy
You can do those homemade gift certificate things showing things you'd like to do with him, or a long letter about why you love him. Along with some things to make it easier to do things together--movie tickets/gift certificates/DVDs, popcorn; bath for two stuff; massage oil.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#24 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Fun topic! It will help me organize my gifts for dh, since I'm about to wrap them. A lot of my gifts I got on wholesale ( I work for a wholesale company but you can get those items at head shops) BUT a few I got great deals on at K-mart, just yesterday so maybe check there, in their camping and mens clothing sections. ( Just some ideas...)

a belt
a pair of cords
two pairs of socks
a tobacco grinder
a Bob Marley wrist wrap
two prints ( Bob Marley and Janis with the Dead)
A "smoke stopper"
An amethyst
two water canteens
a book on drawing
Ironman ( the movie) lol
candy for his stocking

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#25 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM

a 32 inch HD TV w/ a digitial DVR. Santa's elves (that would be me!) arrived early and set it up yesterday while he was at work.

Red velvet fur trimmed boxers with matching hat. I mean why are the girls the only ones allowed to get dressed up???

a timer, regular boxers, his favorite chocolate, the new Andrew Vachss novel, a car charger/player for his Iphone, new travel mugs, DD gift card, "wicked good" LL bean slippers, some clothes.

Oh and as a joke (and this might be fighting words for some) Barry Mannilow sings the greatest songs of the 80's CD. What could be better than Barry singing such classics as "Islands in the Stream", "Careless Whisper" and "Open Arms".

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#26 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Last year I got DH a remote controlled helicopter that he flies around the house. He LOVED it, so I would highly rcommend that.

This year we limisted the budget to $20, so he is getting smaller things with some coupons including a "get out of trouble free" pass, and a "you can be right" pass.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#27 of 27 Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM

What is he like? Can you tell us a little about him?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page