How did you dress as a teen? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Very true. Now alternative has gone mainstream. What do the "freaks" wear today- bow ties?
Whatever they want, just as the true freaks always did.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 AM

I graduated HS in 1998:

Overalls, and overall dresses and I made them look great

I wore short shorts and cute tees whenever the weather allowed

I was also a large sweatshirt wearer in the rain.

Wow, I was cute during my teen years, If only I could have told that teen that back then

...oh, and I was the queen of a pony tail with a bang or my hair down with a bang. I was really proud of my hair back then & spent hours on it.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Very true. Now alternative has gone mainstream. What do the "freaks" wear today- bow ties?
See, I am the cynical old adult. I considered myself "alternative" in high school but alternative to what? Wearing black and being punk wasn't really original to me or my era. I look back and laugh at myself for thinking I was so cutting edge.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 01-11-2010, 06:36 PM

1993 grad here, suburban Chicago.

First half of high school? Sometimes preppy, sometimes more casual (jeans and a sweater), but always put together. Had big-bang mall hair, too.

Second half of high school? Grunge/metal chick. Yeah.

Ever see "Freaks and Geeks?" I *WAS* Lindsey Weir. Was on the math team, even, but most of my friends were stoners and rockers.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM

I was a trendsetter. When I was a freshman at my small private school ('95) I inherited a large wardrobe from this lady who died. It was all really mod '60's stuff. SO I had scooter dresses, polyester putton downs, A line skirts, bellbottoms, velour blazers. I was SO cool. And everyone thought I was a dork. But then a few years later the style came around and I was SO onto something else!

The rest of my highschool years were pretty hippy. Flowy batik skirts, vintage jeans. Still blazers occasionally. A sweet army green trench coat. Birkenstocks. courds. I didn't really fit into any mold completely though. I just loved thrift store finds and anything vintage. Oh and I totally did the- rip out the outer seam of my pants and sew in funky fabric.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
Ever see "Freaks and Geeks?" I *WAS* Lindsey Weir. Was on the math team, even, but most of my friends were stoners and rockers.
That's a bit like me, but my grades sucked. I loved math, though, so I did compete in the national competitions...then I went out and smoked a joint. I still like math (although I haven't done anything with it, other than some basic accounting, in a long time), but I can't stand pot.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Casual. Jeans or Khakis with tshirts, vneck shirts, hoodies, or pullovers and a pair of basic tennis shoes.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Ragamuffin chic, I guess. Lots of clothes and accessories thrown on with little regards to matching. Lots of black, lace, knee highs, skirts, and flowy stuff with my hair pinned up however. My mom used to say I looked like a bag lady. I still have to fight the urge to throw on an extra jacket or wear inappropriate shoes when I'm teaching. If you take a peek at how Helena Bonham Carter runs around that's pretty much how I dressed. DH still makes fun of me over it (he knew me then).

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Same as I do now. Lots of solid colors, black and white, jeans, full(-ish) skirts, flat shoes, V-neck tops, sweaters. I also wore turtlenecks more than I do now because I lived in a colder climate then, and I definitely wore smaller sizes back then! Preppy-casual, I guess you'd call it. I've tried out some different clothes since then but finally decided I'd been right in high school, as far as what looks most flattering on me. I did go through kind of a grunge-y phase in college.
Forgot to say, I graduated in 1994.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 AM

*Sigh* Oh, the memories. Class of '89 here.

I was ultra-preppie, right down the the tassels on my shoes, baby. Pleats everywhere. Sweaters, belts, and shoulder pads. WHY did no one tell us we looked like linebackers? I owned (and wore!) plaid pants. Also, monogrammed blouses. Yikes!

computergeek2.gif

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 AM

Gah! Killed another one!

computergeek2.gif

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 AM

nope, i'll revive it!
this thread happened while I was without internet for a week or so so I missed it the first time around!
i graduated in 2001.
my early teen years were big baggy clothes.
then i had an "all black" phase- which coincided with my depressive junior and senior years of hs.
the first few years of college I wore jeans and a hoody. every day. always. i had like a million hoodies. it took me a loooong time after transitioning out of the hoody to remember that i didn't have a pouch to store things in. I would try to put my cell phone, keys, whatever in a non existent front pocket. all the time.

i was not, and still am not, interested in trendy labels or the next big thing.
now I wear almost all thrift store clothes. back then I did, too, but I think I was embarrassed about it.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Sweater vests and cordoroy (sp?)?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
See, I am the cynical old adult. I considered myself "alternative" in high school but alternative to what? Wearing black and being punk wasn't really original to me or my era. I look back and laugh at myself for thinking I was so cutting edge.
It's cutting edge when everyone around you is doing the hipster thing and the preppy thing.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
It's cutting edge when everyone around you is doing the hipster thing and the preppy thing.
Just referring to myself, I would not have called myself cutting edge. I didn't invent the style, just emulated what The Cure, Siouxsie Sioux and others were (and had been doing).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 AM

I graduated almost three years ago, in 2007. Obviously, my style hasn't changed much since my latter years in high school.

Freshman Year: the horribly embarrassing year. I cut my long hair off to my chin, I wore lots of black and hoodies, I even had a "Frodo" shirt from LOTR...yeah. We'd moved 5,000 miles away from my home and my dad was in Iraq...I was angsty.

Sophomore Year: Much better! It was a cute hair year (layers with bangs), I dressed in pretty basic jeans and cute shirts. I bought a lot of Aeropostale and Hollister clothes.

Junior Year: Towards the beginning, I was still with my Hollister/Abercrombie/Aeropostale preppy stuff. By the end of the year, I was more into flowy tops and jeans. Oh, I also had a few months with dark hair (I'm naturally dark blonde). Got my first big piercing.

Senior Year: I alternated between my flowy, "hippie-esque" clothes and jeans and sweats, depending on the day. I also had a new love of animal print and boots. I had another brief stint with dark hair. I got my first tattoo and second big piercing.

Currently, I'm pretty much on par with my senior year. I'm growing my hair back out(it's about shoulder length, chopped it off short following a breakup). I'm very much a college student...I look great on my days where I start late and on weekends, but my days with early classes or holidays? Sweatpants, sweatshirt and big fuzzy socks.

For several years now, I've been known by my love of low-top converse and huge sunglasses. I wear both almost every day.

Sooo...pictures!

My normal, everyday outfit, neither dressed up nor down

My freshly 18
party days!

Long hair, hippie shirt

Sloppy Senior/College look

Flowy shirt, big sunglasses!

Last days
of high school

Dark hair first time
and second time

Freshman

Holy craploads of pictures. In my defense, it was so recent (high school) that I have lots of pictures. I swear, I'm not narcissistic

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 AM
Banned

Hm. I graduated in 2003, so my style hasn't changed a whole lot. I also pretty much wore jeans, one of my huge selection of band shirts (not bands, my HS marching band) and a hoodie or my letterman's jacket every day of my high school career. And comfy shoes.

I was a drum major for my marching band and a total geek. I had flute choir at 6 AM MW and early morning orchestra at 6 AM TR, so I didn't have time in the morning to dress up. Since I had marching band every day after school, I needed to be comfy.

The transition to jeans-and-t-shirts motherhood has been very easy for me.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 AM

I graduated in 94. In 9th grade I dressed like Blossom. I had these 2 short flowy skirts that had wild prints and were kind of sheer. I wore them over a bright colored bodysuit with a big slouchy sweater. I loved bright, funky tights. (still do!) I started my collection of Chuck Taylors--the funkier and harder to find, the better. That year I was also growing out my horrible Adam Curry perm from the year before. In 10th grade I started getting a little earthier, and I was maybe a little less of a dork. I was REALLY into Tori Amos, who no one had heard of but my boyfriend. The ultimate goal was to have tight jeans that were as flattering as possible. I started wearing some grungy clothes too. In 11th and 12th grade I was the hippie of my group. I wore long skirts and got my first pair of Birks.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
High school for me was 2000-2003. I think the term was hootchie/casual slob. In the summer I wore flip flops, short shirts and tight tank tops. The second it got cold out I was in jeans and really oversized thrift store hoodies until it got above 75 again.
I forgot I wore my marching band jacket over my thrift store hoodies. I wore it allll day since our high school alternated between boiling and freezing.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM

As close to the mainstream as possible. I was forever managing to get my ass kicked by bullies so anything that would make me blend in.

ETA: I had to scoot because the kids were up to no good. Anyway, I was class of '97. In my school everything hippie was experiencing a revival because everyone was listening to Phish and the Grateful Dead. But then there was also a lot of Goth kids walking around. So I tried to strike a balance between the 2.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Class of 86.

Levi's button-fly 501s, button down (Oxford?) white shirt tucked in.

Nike sneakers or Birkenstocks. Red toe nail polish. No make up.

Hair was perpetually in between hair cuts, perpetually bushy and ridiculous.

I wanted to dress in the all black, pale makeup style that was pre Goth, but knew nothing about how to go about it. My MO, go to the mall, buy what fit that wasn't hideous.

Oh, I did have this neat matching pants and shirt outfit from UC of Benetton. In retrospect it looked like pj's. It was the only hip thing I owned.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM

During my entire life I've always dressed in a tomboy/bohemian style even as other influences dominated my wardrobe. Weird but true. Anyway:

Preteen: Junior High---- I wore funky tops or tank tops with a light jacket, tight pants or bell bottoms with big, chunky platform shoes. I also wore alot of Indian or hippie style tops. (I also had a metal streak thrown in there...)

Early High School----I wore the above, but would also wear huge Jnco jeans and pants, chains, Airwalk or Vans sneakers.

Mid/late High School----The hippie wardrobe took over completely. Lots of hippie tops, Grateful Dead/Phish, etc T-shirts, big skirts, Birkenstocks, chunky sweaters, chunky, hemp & glass jewelry.

My current style is a blend of all of these. I haven't really changed too much (Though I try not to look like I'm 16 lol

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went through a couple of phases. Earlier on I was into wearing wideleg jeans and fitted t-shirts, like everyone else, and then I moved closer to the city and got into vintage. In grade 11 my favourite outfits included vintage dresses, bright tights, doc marten boots, cats eye glasses and from about 16-20 I had black hair with baby bangs. I had a kind of emo look, but like MusicianDad said, it was not popular yet and living in a small town I had to work hard to find my really cool accessories and black nail polish

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM

I was a walking conundrum! LOL

I started as the 80s rocker girl with BIG hair and the ripped, tighter-that-skin clothing.

Then in 9th grade, until just a few years ago really, I dressed in what one would call a mix of Emo/goth now. I had the all black, tats, pierced, a different hair color all the time...At one point, I even had a Mohawk!

Stephanie-Hitched up Mom of 2 DD and 2 DS. I miss my
Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM

I graduated in 2000. My outfits were pretty boring - jeans and t-shirts. My fav shirts were from the thrift store kids section. In the early 90s I wore those super thin, super short "baby tees" (yikes!)

On the weekends my true colours came out, and I would experiment with different styles. My friend and I would wear our slips and thrift store tops, or we'd dress up like hippies.

Looking at old pictures make me miss my free spirit!!! I'll try and figure out how to post a pic!

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Graduated in 2006... w00t! I'm the baby.

My mom called my style "Love's Baby Soft Punk" in early high school. I was cute but alternative. Always long hair. I loved pink and black, tons of eyeliner and sparkly blush (Pink Halo from Origins IIRC ) but not much other makeup. I wore ripped up Lucky brand jeans with tights under them and dresses or band t-shirts on top. I was rail thin.

Later in high school and into college I dressed sorta funky but not crazy. Lots of floral, plaid, lots of jumpers, tons of layers, wool plaid jackets, flimsy ballet flats, CARDIGANS, skinny jeans, etc.

I'm going to go find pictures
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM

High school was 89-93 for me. I was basically the trying to fit in girl. SO I wore the heavy sweaters and cardigans with turtle necks or button blouses with vests. Always always pegged pants. The late part of high school I got into flannel, t-shirts and jeans. I had big bangs until my sophomore year when I grew them out, and got a spiral perm. (Hey I was in show choir, you had to have big hair then).

Now, I just wear basic clothes, nothign fancy.

signature currently in transition
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM

came across this thread on a random number search love.gif and just had to post......

wow, high school. i graduated in 1998, and spent a good portion of my high school years in mexico city at a catholic school. we had uniforms, but when i wasn't wearing the uniform, my style was quite unusual for the area we live in. my hair was cut like tboz from TLC, and i wore my pleated black uniform skirt with fishnets or glittery tights, white boy style tank tops or black tshirts, combat boots, lots of necklaces, and heavy black eyeliner. i had a few treasured pieces of lip service clothing picked up on trips to california. in my last year of high school, i had pink and purple streaks in my hair, too. 

now, i wear mostly yoga clothing, skinny jeans and tees, and ballet flats. the only remnants from my high school style are the nose piercings blush.gif

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Oh, I did have this neat matching pants and shirt outfit from UC of Benetton. In retrospect it looked like pj's. It was the only hip thing I owned.

You were SO LUCKY!  My friends and I yearned for any article of Benetton clothing.  I swear we used to stand outside the store with our noses pressed to the window.  Esprit was as close as we got and even then, it had to be purchased off the clearance rack.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM

class of 89.

I wore sweat shirts, mens plaid shirts, jeans (Levi's preferably) and standard t's with no pictures or sayings on them.  Usually black or white.  Running shoes and occasionally boat shoes. Remember stir-up pants?

Some people around me dressed funkier - leggings, leg warmers big teased hair and multi-colour (3!)  eyeshadow.  Girls with suspenders. Anyone seen Earth Girls are Easy?  That.   Shoulder Pads and belts - either huge or super skinny, but nothing in between (unless it was on the levis, of course).

User Tag List