Do you read/watch/listen to the news everyday? And which media do you prefer? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you read/watch/listen to the news everyday? And which media do you prefer?
Yes, of course, what would life be without it! 39 100.00%
No, silly, where would I find the time for that?! 2 16.67%
A few times a week. 20 100.00%
A few times a month. 7 58.33%
Never. 5 41.67%
Moo. (Other, please elaborate.) 0 0%
I mostly prefer TV news. 11 91.67%
I mostly prefer online papers/websites. 29 100.00%
I mostly prefer print papers. 6 50.00%
I mostly prefer radio. 19 100.00%
I prefer a mix of the mentioned. 20 100.00%
Moo. 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And just pick the one closest, everybody understands that it can vary a little. I'm talking in average.
Multi-choice poll, of course.

I'll start. I try to read the news online every day. I usually succeed. I like to know what's going on. I'm interested in keeping myself updated on what goes on around me, both here in town, this contry and in the world at large. I like talking about it too, usually.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#2 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't seek out the news.
We don't have TV but I do pick up bits and pieces when I tune into the CBC when I'm driving or whatever.
I do get a local paper delivered and there's a page of national and international headlines which I usually skim over.
I read the New Yorker when I can find a copy, so that's current events.
If there's a story I'm following I like salon.com

Quite honestly, I like living in in quasi-ignorance. I feel that modern media, the news in particular, is an assault on my humanity. It's just too much for me to take. I can't handle the steady stream of bad news coming from every corner of the world and I can't do a dang thing about it. I'm just not wired for that.

and
#3 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We watch the News Hour on PBS especially on Fridays when they have Mark Shields doing the analysis. Sometimes, if I get home early enough, I even catch the BBC news program on PBS. I find British news programs more interesting. I sometimes watch CNN as well. However, I don't feel the need to watch the news daily though. I agree with the PP about the steady stream of bad news and its effects.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#4 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Dar

Every day. I read online (I'm currently partial to the New York Times but I usually read a mix of local, national, and international sites) and listen to NPR whenever I'm in the car.

I mentioned the Haiti earthquake to my stepmom last night and she knew nothing about it. Which, of course, is her choice and her life, but I personally would feel really uncomfortable not know what's going on in the world.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't like to watch the news while the kids are around, and we don't get the daily newspaper. So I only get news a couple times a month: the Sunday Paper, and once in awhile when I stay up late enough to catch the 10 o'clock news. I do get CNN Alerts sent to my email in case there is something really big happening, otherwise I would have no idea.

I prefer a mix of the newspaper, the TV and radio, and online sources.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#6 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 PM

I watch the news 3-4 times a week and read the news online 5-6 days a week.

obstruct livery vehicles

#7 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM

I'm a news junkie. I get most of it from online sources:

Huffington Post
MSNBC.com
CNN.com
Alternet.org
BBC.co.uk
NPR.org

I also love newspapers, specifically the New York Times and my local paper.

I listen to NPR on the radio every other day or so.

I also watch MSNBC on TV, usually for Countdown with Keith Olbermann and The Rachel Maddow Show.

(Oh, and I can't forget Jon Stewert and Stephen Colbert )

I have a current event addiction. I am aware of this

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#8 of 34 Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I watch the news every day on CNN. I read the daily local newspaper at work, and the Sunday paper at home.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#9 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 01:09 AM

I like Reuters, BBC, and the Associated Press for news. I can't stand any of the mainstream American news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc)...they all report celebrity gossip as legitimate news, and that disgusts me.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#10 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 AM

I'll read it online since I have my homepage set up with various newspaper headlines feeding into it. (or if it's really important, I usually read 200 facebook status updates about it and then actively seek out what the news was. : ).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#11 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 AM

At my house we have NPR on 24/7...to the point that I get really annoyed when the programs start to repeat, but I listen to them again anyway.
#12 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 AM

a few years ago, I knew I had too much NPR on when dd started imaginary play with her horses going down a road and coming across a road side bomb! YIKES! I toned it down.

I listen to NPR because it's convienent. I read news online.

I think the vast majority of news is grossly biased and most has an agenda behind it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#13 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 AM

I don't care much for daily news ... I go through spells of being an obsessive news hawk, but usually it's just stressful and really not particularly educational. I generally prefer to occasionally catch the Newshour or something and otherwise stick to news and opinion books, magazines, and radio programs that handle issues as more than soundbites, you know?

It's cheesy sounding, but I've found it's good for my "soul" to stay away from any source that thinks Paris Hilton is bigger news than Darfur.
#14 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
At my house we have NPR on 24/7...to the point that I get really annoyed when the programs start to repeat, but I listen to them again anyway.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#15 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 AM

I read the Christian Science Monitor and Mother Jones. I also enjoy Scientific American but that isn't really "newsy."

I do read some online articles from Reuters and the AAP and I listen to NPR. I also like the BBC.

I don't really watch the news on the networks. Some of it is just so horrific, the things they discuss in the middle of the day! I once got to meet the former head of CBS and he was really talking about desensitization and how it is becoming such a problem. It can be really disturbing.

I also do not like all the celebrity crap. I loved it when the AAP decided they were not going to report on Paris Hilton for an entire month.

A lot of publications are struggling atm and many are running specials.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#16 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 AM

I read The Australian newspaper 6 days a week & listen to ABC (public) radio news during the week. I also watch ABC & SBS (public) news a couple times a week & I read/listen to cnn & pri online when I want more info on an international or us topic.

I could care less about celebrity 'fluff' news, although i do sometimes look at New Idea (cheesy celeb weekly) when I'm standing in a long supermarket checkout line.

I love learning more about the world around me & I love discussing current political issues. I love debate & discussion, and think the world is a much poorer place for the absence of such talk.

*sigh*

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#17 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Prior to DS, I read the local, a region and at least one national (NYT) paper plus the WSJ every day. By read, I mean I scanned each page and read what interested me. I didn't actually read every single word but at least 70% of each paper.

We watched the news every night. I read a far amount on line and listened to BBC news on the computer and NPR in the car.

Post DS, I still glance at the lcoal paper but is it basically crap so I don't waste my time anymore. I do read some news on line. I still read the WSJ but it might take me until the weekend to catch up on the week.

I rarely watch any TV news but will try to catch PBS Newshour when I can.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#18 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM

I got out of the daily news thing long ago.

I do read our local paper online everyday and I'll read some headlines on MSN while waiting on a page to load, but that's it.
#19 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I said "yes", but I don't do TV news very much at all so much of what I do is click on our local TV website and read headlines and check the weather. I click only on the stories I want to read and avoid a lot of "bad" news beyond the headlines.

I also listen to public radio (NPR) at least 40 minutes a day and usually more like 2 hrs or so. Sometimes I'm listening to BBC on the local station and sometimes NPR headlines or a more indepth program, like "The Story" or sometimes "The Diane Rehm Show" or "This American Life" that might touch on topics in the headlines, but are not necessarily the same as what's out there on TV news.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#20 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Currently we get 2 daily newspapers, and the local community rag that's published twice a week. I also read the on-line version of newspapers for some of the places we've lived, not daily but perhaps weekly - sometimes more often, sometimes less. I also like to check the International Herald Tribune on-line too. There are a couple of on-line magazines that I like too. Occasionally, I'll pick up news and current events magazines (Economist, Time, etc.).

I listen to public radio most days - right now, mostly when I'm in the car, since we need a new radio and I never seem to get around to getting one.

I used to watch 24-hour t.v. news (CNN, Fox etc.) all the time, but I became sick of the empty, vacuous, biased ranting.....

Oh, and Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, as well as similar comedy/news shows from other countries if I can catch them.... I like to get as much fake news as I can - it's often better (more truthful) than the so-called real news.
#21 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM

I check in at google news a couple of times a day. I like that method because they have the top headlines and then pretty much link to every online article covering them. So, for indepth stuff, I can read at a lot of different spots. I usually hit BBC, NY Time and Washington Post first and then HuffPo, blogs and local papers. I also read the local papers at work (NY Times, Newsday; and then the tabloids for the lolz: Daily News and The Post). My coworker listens to NPR and she'll turn it up if something catches my ear and I ask her to. And then I watch The Daily Show, although that's mostly because I like rehashing it at work.

I don't both with tv news, although CNN is on 24/7 at work in the cafeteria so I often catch a minute or two on work days. I used to watch Good Morning America but I got fed up.

Oh, we also get Time and Newsweek magazines, although we are not renewing Time and it's about to expire.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#22 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
And just pick the one closest, everybody understands that it can vary a little. I'm talking in average.
Multi-choice poll, of course.

I'll start. I try to read the news online every day. I usually succeed. I like to know what's going on. I'm interested in keeping myself updated on what goes on around me, both here in town, this contry and in the world at large. I like talking about it too, usually.
NPR is on as soon as I start dinner and stays on until 7 pm. I really despise my local network news. The only online news I read is about celebrities.

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#23 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM

If I do news, I listen to NPR, on the drive to and from work. But really I go in phases. Sometimes I listen on the way to work and home everyday. I usually do that until I feel overloaded and overwhelmed. Then I go for weeks/months without paying any attention to the news. I usually hear about the big things from someone anyways. I'm currently in my listen to it a few times a month phase. News is too depressing, even on NPR it sometimes seems sensationalist, though I do like the occasional series or interesting other stories they do.

I occasionally follow up online, but that's usually on a friday afternoon, like today, when I have nothing to do at work and am bored silly!

signature currently in transition
#24 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 PM

A few times a week and it is a mix. Normally my Mom will have the news on when I get home so I watch. And I also listen to the news breaks on the radio to get caught up.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#25 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 AM

My new town has a small TV news station with an affiliated internet site that I check all the time. People can comment on the news and everyones opinions are so entertaining. I also get Mcleans magazine to read Canadian and World news, plus Jon Stewart seems to give the rundown of stuff south of the border.
#26 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:17 AM

The only time I watch news is when dh is watching it and I am sitting here. News depresses me and I am depressed enough as it is.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#27 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 AM

I mostly follow the news, but only OL.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#28 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, guys.
Funny to see so many prefering radio, but only because I never listen to it myself. Not surprising that most people prefer online sources though.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#29 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 PM

I usually listen to NPR from 6-8 a.m. and then from 4-6 or 7p.m. I listen to it in the car if the kids aren't with me. They like pretty cool music, so I let them pick the car music most of the time. I've caught them humming the theme to "All Things Considered" several times, though!
#30 of 34 Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 AM

Online news (NY Times iPhone app and local newspaper website) and local AM radio news (all news station and a news/talk station that doesn't air ANYONE who is syndicated!).

I'm TV free.

lady.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page