Do black people scare you? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do Black People Scare You?
Yes they do 76 5.03%
Only black men or big black people 112 7.42%
Of course not that's just racist 1,000 66.23%
other 322 21.32%
Voters: 1510. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please be honest, if you are afraid of flames dont post but do vote.

(yes this is in regards to more than one comment made here on MDC in the last few months, by different people in different situations which has made me wonder if us black people who may be overweight and labeled 'big' are welcome around here, but for the most part I am really interested.)
#2 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:25 PM

Honey, there is nothing like a big black woman that makes me feel more at home.

Not scared, not uncomfortable.

I do have to say, I really really like you. I also had no idea that you were big or black.
#3 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 PM

Black people in general don't scare me, but like people of any color, there are scary ones out there. I have encountered a few scary black people in my time, but I've also encountered scary white people, scary Asians, and even a scary Indian guy. (Dots, not feathers). :LOL In general, I'd have to say that I've felt uncomfortable/scared around more white people than black people.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#4 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:32 PM

Like she said!
#5 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not crazy about the choices so am having trouble voting. I don't think I am any more afraid of a single black man regardless of size than I am of a lone male of any ethnic background. Which is to say, middle of the day in a park with many people around I fear none of them. Alone in a poorly lit parking area at night.. any man who appears to be strong and healthy tends to draw my attention as a potential source of trouble.

Where I tend to have more fear is groups of young men and I think I am more nervous of groups of young black men than of other groups. It takes fewer of them to set of my safety radar or something, I think. I'm not sure exactly. I feel more aware of their "otherness". They are often louder than I am accustomed to/ feel comfortable with. There is something in the group dynamic that is unfamiliar to me and it translates into feeling threatening. Fact is that in my current location I am hard pressed to explore these feelings like I was beginning to in Virginia because there just don't seem to be that many black people here.
#6 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 PM

not at all!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#7 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaq001
Honey, there is nothing like a big black woman that makes me feel more at home.

Not scared, not uncomfortable.

I do have to say, I really really like you. I also had no idea that you were big or black.
ok i lied. im only 5 "4" and im not that hefty but i am kinda flabby....
#8 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 PM

I didn't vote either. We live in a very integrated area (not that common in this area) and love this about our community. The surrounding whiteness of the suberbs is one reason we won't be going far.

However I seem to have situational racial holdups. I was robbed at gunpoint when I was 17 by a young, tall, black man in a ski coat and still seem to be paranoid around anyone matching that description. During the middle of the day I'm fine, but I do get scared at night walking around the neighborhood.

It does seem to only be the young guys that bother me, once they look over 30 I'm not bothered anymore. And it's nothing I go around expressing, I just notice I walk quicker and become more aware of my surroundings. Hopefully I will get over this by the time ds is able to recognize any prejudices.
#9 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:45 PM

NO, suburban white people do.

Seriously, NO.
#10 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:46 PM

no, but poets do. :LOL

warmly,
claudia
aka my poetess name caludai
#11 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Banned

Men of any race tend to scare me, in certain situations.
#12 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:49 PM

hahahaha hotmamacita! That's actually super-true!

Anyway... the only people who scare me are scary people, regardless of their color. I try to look into people's eyes upon meeting them, usually that's a good enough meter of their persona. If someone creeps me out, I walk the other way.

#13 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:51 PM

Hmm, I'd only be scared of someone if it were dark or I were alone, and they seemed threatening. It wouldnt matter what colour they were, each situation would be different. In the UK, I"d be nervous about going past a gang of white skinheads just as I'd be nervous about going past a gang of black youths, if the situation were one to provoke fear.

The most spooked I've ever been was going past an older, white homeless man who was very threatening, down an alleyway right next to a graveyard, years ago when a horrible doorman at an indoor carpark wouldn't open the doors for me to walk through the lit way to the car. I still go cold thinking about it. I was very lucky that two other women were in the same boat, and rushed up to join me and we walked together and accompanied each other to our cars. Power to women. Otherwise, I think I was a goner.

So, I don't think I have any racist responses to situations regarding who I think of as threatening. Their body language tells me waht I want to know, and anyway, I try to never make myself vulnerable.
#14 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:52 PM

Quote:
NO, suburban white people do.
:LOL DITTO!
#15 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:53 PM

Black people dont scare me......

Any man in the dark tends to make me nervous but more often than not its either young white guys or older kinda freakishly looking white men....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#16 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:57 PM

No black people dont bother me.

But what bothers me is a group of young men any race acting strangely.
#17 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 PM

If I'm scared of someone, I'm scared of them b/c of the situation, not b/c of color. If someone approached me in a threatening manner, I would be scared of him or her, regardless of color. I assume the best of a person until I have a reason to know otherwise, but if I'm alone in a dark parking lot walking to my car, I'm going to be aware of anyone around me, regardless of age, sex, or color and possibly avoid them.

So no, black people don't scare me.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#18 of 1220 Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somemama
Men of any race tend to scare me, in certain situations.
yup.. what she said

I cannot think of one time I was afraid of a black woman.. or a group of black women

I have been afraid men of all races many times.. either in groups or alone..
depends on how they look at me.. if they look in my eyes.. use manners & are polite then I am fine
if they look me up & down like a piece of meat then yes Im uncomfortable & annoyed
this happens alot..
#19 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mahdokht

i about peed myself reading that:LOL
#20 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:10 AM

I have read articles about how most white people's image of a 'scary' person is a black man. Hence the whole fake kidnapping that woman concoted, blaming a black man, when she had drowned them in the car (I can't think of her name). I've always found this interesting, because my 'scary' image is a group of white, punk teenagers. I guess the same would apply to black, punk teenagers, but the first image that comes to my mind if I close my eyes and think of it is punk white teenagers. I am white, by the way.

So I voted no.
#21 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mahdokht
Well, I don't like you then.

Go woman, put on some weight. Then come back and maybe I'll like you again.

Humph, I don't like to be misled.
#22 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arthead
hahahaha hotmamacita! That's actually super-true!

Anyway... the only people who scare me are scary people, regardless of their color. I try to look into people's eyes upon meeting them, usually that's a good enough meter of their persona. If someone creeps me out, I walk the other way.

ITA!
#23 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:15 AM

I'm afraid of men--generally between the ages of, say, 14 and 25--particularly when they are in groups. I'm always afraid that testosterone driven pack behavior could take over. Part of this is from being traumitized by my experiences in a huge public high school and part is (probably) from how this demographic is protrayed in the media.

Hmmm...so I don't think that I count as racist on this score but I definitely seem to be ageist.
#24 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:20 AM

I voted "no".
Crazy as it is, I always find myself attracted to (not in a sexual ooh-he's-hot kinda way, but in a mental way) homeless men, and most homeless men where I'm from are black. I love to sit down, hear their stories, and feed them some good, loving compassionate energy. I attract black men and boys, too. For some reason, people sit down with me and share their life's story within the first five minutes of our meeting. Whether it's at our local park, 3 a.m. after one of our music events, whatever, I can usually be found having heartfelt discussions with black men. Does that seem strange, or what?
#25 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:25 AM

Black men don't scare me, nor do black women, even if they're big. Men that are menacing scare me though.

the only women that have scared me have been mentally ill and possibly dangerous. oh yeah and that big ass girl in middle school who was in a gang and wanted to kick my butt!
#26 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oceanbaby... you are thinking of Susan Smith. And then there was the young Boston lawyer who shot his pregnant wife to death and blamed it on a black man who was trying to carjack them. (Whole story fabricated)

mom to L&A... your comment about "young men acting strangely"... well, I think what I was getting at in my post is that for me, the behavior of young black men is more likely to seem strange or aggressive than other groups of young men because, in large part, with my lack of familiarity and comfort with their culture.
#27 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:35 AM

I voted other...

I'm certainly not frightened or scared by black people, but in a subtle way, in certain circumstances, am more *aware* of difference. I remember a couple of occasions where I found myself face to face with someone I was assuming would be white, but was black, and that 'caught-off-guard' feeling. I don't like being so aware of difference in skin color, but it's just the way it is. Maybe it's an involuntary subconscious cultural influence..I don't know.

There is a lot of nasty history surrounding this whole thing...I understand why we are culturally a bit touchy about racism. I mean, for goodness sake, 'Star Trek' got into big trouble for giving Nichelle Nicols a contract like the rest of the cast, just because she was black. And apparently the network was furious that she had lines more complicated than 'Yes, Captain'....
We've come a long way since then. I hope.
A black president (or Prime Minister) would prove it. Female, of course.
It's about time.
#28 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:45 AM

It really depends on the way they dress and act. But, based on the area I live in, black men that live around here, dressing the way they do and acting the way they do, do tend to scare me. Size doesn't have an impact usually, unless they're menacing in the way they carry their weight, ykwim?

White men who dress a similar way scare me as well.

This is a conditioned response due to being attacked by a black gang when I was 14 or 15 years old.

Usually it has more to do with the way they act than their dress. Unfortunately, the majority of black men fit the stereotype that is being hinted at in this thread. The stereotypes that prejudiced is based on does exist. I have no doubt in my mind that it doesn't exist in some areas, but it does exist here.
#29 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:56 AM

no. like others, scary men scare me.

the only times i've felt irrationally scared are when i'm confronted with men who look like the only 3 men i can think of who have hurt/tried to hurt me: my molester when i was 4 (white, big build, red faced), this guy who followed me around one day in his truck and kept showing me his leather gloves (native, big build), and this other guy who attacked me one night in a park (probably would have killed me- ran me into the ground with his bike and kicked me twice, hard, in the head). i just remembered that he was black, but i had forgotten. the fact that he had pure hate in his eyes, and i think he was on some serious drugs seems far more relevant than his colour, and hasn't made me more fearful of blacks in general. (ot- the very very weird thing about that incident is that as i was walking toward him, about 20 feet away, i suddenly had this huge surge of compassion for him, i could sense tremendous pain in him, and was going to ask him if he was okay.. he was just some guy in his early 20s looking at his bike.. strange)
#30 of 1220 Old 02-25-2004, 12:59 AM

i also voted other. I am not scared of black people as a blanket statement. (Just as I am not scared of white people etc)

In certain situations I have been scared of black men. ( always between the age of 17-55) However, I have been scared of men of all colors in this age group. The category I fear most is comprised of white men between the ages of 25-40. I think that is the category of person that I personally have the highest possbility of being violently attacked by. Overall, I fear ex-boyfriends more than men (black or any color) I do not know. On the base level I attribute my fear in a specific situation to instinct that something is amiss, bad vibes, general demeanor of the person and my location. As for the mention of skinheads I am totally scared of them but I think my anger sometimes takes the edge off a bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page