high school reunion--would/did you go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, here's the thing: my 10th high school reunion is coming up. I grew up in a small town, so I only had about 90 people in my graduating class (from 7 surrounding 'villages/blink-and-you-miss-ums' including my own). The town goes all out for alumni weekend, there is an alumni parade and a float contest. I thought it might be fun to go...hang out with a bunch of strangers I knew way back when...then again, you can pretty much catch up on Facebook. I don't really care about what happened back then...I just want to see who went bald and who got fat and did anyone accomplish anything, or is everyone just a big loser? Or am *I* the biggest loser?

Did you go to your 10th? 20th? Was it lame, or totally worth it? Did your husband/partner/etc go with you? (mine doesn't want to go, said he could find better ways to waste a few hours than "hanging out with a bunch of hicks" This from someone who is a huge redneck...oh well, he'd get drunk and start a fight anyway, most likely...)

(I live pretty far away, I just wonder if it will be worth the $2000 in tickets!)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#2 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

I went to my 10 year and it was the real life Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I'd pay $2k to go again and lmao.

DH (then DP) did not go and that was fine with me.
#3 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 11:16 AM

There were 18 people in my graduating class. The school had a multiple year reunion, and I ended up hanging out with a woman a few years older than me more than my own classmates. I regretted going-it was totally depressing!
#4 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 AM

I did not go to mine. I graduated with 500+ students, but none of my friends were going. If they had been going, I would have gone. I didn't want to go hang out with the "popular" crowd from high school that I knew would be there. I hear that it was all the "groups" that used to hang out together and no one really talked with other people.

I think it would be different in a small town. My DH graduated with 17 students. We went to his reunion and it was fun. Everyone sat together and chit chatted. They went to school together from kindergarten-12th so they had more in common and had been together longer. In my school, there are so many different high schools, junior highs, then you come together for high school. There just wasn't the bond like in a small town school.

I don't think I would spend $2000 unless you know for sure that there will be lots of people there that you want to see.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#5 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Nah, I didn't go to my 10th. My 20th is coming up next year & I'm not sure if I will go or not. I caught up with some of my friends on FB & maybe if they go I will go hang out. I seriously doubt dh would ever go with me though.
#6 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM

I went to my 10th a few years ago. For the first five minutes everyone pretended that we all had awesome jobs and lives. Then we all realized that the economy sucks and your 20-somethings suck and everyone ended up having a good time. It was a lot of fun.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#7 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM

I didn't go to my 10th but I did make it to my 20th and I had a blast. It was fabulous to see all these familiar faces and really get to know who each other is and what they are all about. I went with very low expectations but had an incredibly good time.
#8 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 AM

I went to my 10th. Our class only had 20 kids and we're mostly all on facebook. The ones who came are the ones who I actually know about since they are on facebook or I see them. It was ok, I'm glad I went.
#9 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM

i went to my 20th HS reunion, which involved being away from my kids for the weekend and getting there via plane. it was totally worth it and would do it again in a heartbeat. i graduated with about 500 people and the attendance was pretty good!
#10 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM

I live in the area I grew up in and see people or run into people all the time. Also, we live in the town DH grew up in and went to the local hs.

I dated DH in high school so we both know plenty of the people I went to school with and also who he went to school with. In fact in DD1's grade school, there are about 25 kids who all their parents went to HS together so just picking up the kids at school is a hs reunion LOL. There are also several people in my neighborhood, around town etc who went to school with me.

Add facebook into the mix and the groups for each of our HS reunions this year, its pretty easy to go. Honestly, I really dont want to go to my reunion, but if DH wants to go, we or he can go to his. I always tease him that he sees these people everyday anyhow.

I have noticed since "reconnecting" with tons of people on Facebook that I am realizing why I lost touch with them...LOL or we have had meet ups from finding each other and some good some bad.

The girl who is "putting together the reunion" I ran into about a year ago and she was a UAV and made a point at least 5 times in our 2 minute conversation to let me know she lived in a hooty tooty neighboring suburb. She also sent me a message on fb saying "need your info for the reunion" literally that was it. Not Hi Amy, hope life is going good etc. putting together the info and need your info...

So I ignored her message and wrote on my page how if you want to contact me after 20 years show some class! A few people put two and two together and fast forward a few weeks later to last night. I received a message again on FB that was more Hi AMy, hope all is well, I am putting together the reunion and you can send your info to....

I replied back, you contacted me here, I received it, so this is fine.

Our 10 year was on a weekend that we were in Europe. The following weekend when we arrived back was DH's so we missed both of them. As I recall to attend each of them was like $80 a head for a large room, snackies and a cash bar. Too much money to talk to people I hadnt seen or wanted to in 10 years anyhow so it worked out ok.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't go to mine. It was only 45 minutes away but none of my friends were going and I knew if I went by myself it would be boring...as I had a small group of friends in HS and didn't really care to see anyone else. I graduated in a class of around 400+

I would never spend 2K to go! No way.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#12 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM

I didn't go to my 10th b/c we had just moved out of state and I was recovering from an illness. I wish I could have made it, though. I enjoyed seeing pics from it, and there wasn't really anyone I was dying to see -- but it would have been fun, I think.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#13 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM

I never went to any of mine. We had a 15th last year. Two and a half hour drive away, not bad. But the fee for attending is $$$. I went to a big deal high school where most people can drop all kinds of bucks on going (and apparently people fly in from all over the world) but no way can I blow $400 or $500 to take my family there on the off chance I might have a good time. It's ridiculous.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#14 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I literally moved back to my hometown the day after our 10th year reunion, so I didn't make it. If they do a 15 I might go.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#15 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM

I didn't go to my 5 or 10 year reunions, and from what I heard I didn't miss out on much. Overpriced dinner, none of my friends went....

That said, I think it would be way different to go if you had a small class and knew your classmates well. I've been catching up with a lot of my former classmates in the last couple of years, and it's been fun to get together and chat. My 15 yr. reunion should be this summer, and I'll consider attending if the venue and price are decent.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#16 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Listen to all you children talking about 5 and 10 year reunions. My 25th would be this year. I have no idea if they have ever done one for any other big number, but I have never gone, and wouldn't go to this one either. Too far to go, too much money (different continent), and I didn't exactly enjoy high school anyway.
#17 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Did not go to any of my HS reunions ( my 25th was 3 years ago). I'm so happy I got out of that town ( well the whole state really) and have no desire to see anyone I am not still in contact with.
#18 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post

I would never spend 2K to go! No way.
Well, I live in Alaska and the reunion is in VT. Maybe I should look into getting an AK Air credit card--then I could fly for free(you get a free ticket every yr + a $99 companion ticket--that's me and ds1 right there)! It will only cost about $25 to go to the reunion. The other thing is that my best friend is getting married 2 weeks after, also in VT, and I really want to go to that. And I could visit my parents and dp's parents (they are in NY) in the interim.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#19 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Did not go to any of my HS reunions ( my 25th was 3 years ago). I'm so happy I got out of that town ( well the whole state really) and have no desire to see anyone I am not still in contact with.
Thank you. I'm glad someone out there feels the same way I do.
#20 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM

I went to my 10th, and quite honestly I'd rather have had a root canal.
I opted not to go to my 20th.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
#21 of 51 Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM

I went to a small school like the OP. I skipped my 10 and 20 year reunions but am thinking about going to the 25th reunion this summer. DH will not be coming and I would not spend a bunch of money to attend.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#22 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 AM

I did not go to my 10th because I was living on the other side of the globe. I was pissed at one of my friends who did not go and I made her promise me that we'd go to the 20th. We did go, 2 years ago, and it was great. It was long enough that most of the bitterness about the mean girls and mean cliques has worn off. It was fun seeing everyone. Overall the women had aged way better than the men. Many of the guys were unrecognizable.
#23 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 AM

I went to my 10th and HATED it.

Lots of standing around having the same conversation over and over and over again, trying to be heard over the bad 80's music. I never got past the initial "So, what do you do? Are you married? Do you have kids?" surfacey stuff with anyone. I won't be going to my 20th.

DH went with. He's a good sport- I was so glad he was there. I stuck to him like glue.

Even though most people who meet me would never guess it, I can be very social-phobic, so a reunion is probably my worst fear anyway.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#24 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 AM

Went to my 10 year and it was the same old, same old. Same people hung out together, same cliques, same stuff - 10 years later.

I did not go to my 20th and probably won't ever got to one again.
#25 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 AM

I graduated with 1400 other people I doubt I'm missed. We live in Colorado and mine are in New York and DH's are in Alaska, so we've never been.
#26 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 AM

I graduated in a class of 13 in 2000. They're starting to plan the reunion, and I'm not going. I keep up with the ones I care about. As for the others, I prefer to remember & be remembered as we were. I loved high school & have some really great memories with my classmates, but I think it would be too depressing to "go back" (even though I live here still... it would technically be everyone else coming back). We're such different people now.
#27 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 AM

I graduated in a class of about 180. I had a total of three actual friends. One has been to one reunion - our 10th. The other two haven't attended any of them. I was very well known, and not well-liked. (My grad yearbook has me down as being voted "Most Likely to Become a Hell's Angel".)

I've been to my 10th, 15th and 20th year reunions, and plan to attend the 25th, next year.

I was actually terrified of going to my 10th, which is why I went. (Yeah - makes no sense, but that's okay - it worked for me.) I ended up having an absolute blast. It wasn't really about who was cooler or whatever, or if it was, I was completely oblivisious to that, which is certainly possible. It was just...interesting. I really enjoyed the 15 and 20 year ones, as well.

For my 10 year, my ex went with me to one event (there were three - and I didn't make it to the third one, because I was so hung over and exhausted), but he left early. I went alone to the first one. The 15 and 20 year reunions have been grads only, no spouses. I don't think dh would come, anyway - maybe if I really insisted, but he'd hate it, so I wouldn't.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#28 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 AM

I paid for, but ended up not going, to mine. We has so much going on at the time. My grandmother ended up having emergency surgery, we had just spent a week on a cruise, so I didn't have the time to fly back home again. DH didn't go to his, he couldn't have cared less about it.
#29 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 AM

I'm from a small school too - 50 in my graduating class, and we were a largish class (my sister had 43).

Our school has a tradition that the senior class president is in charge of the senior keg. Soooo.... my classmates chose a guy who started doing practice keggers around Christmas. -- needless to say, no one organized a five year or ten year reunion. I started getting calls and emails from classmates two years before our ten year reunion, asking me what I was planning (?! Ummm- I wasn't even asked to donate to the senior keg, I was so over high school and my classmates by my senior year, I had friends in other schools through 4-H, speech, and track and just wasn't involved at all; but I guess for years I'd been class secretary and just fixed things that needed fixing, so they all thought I'd plan it?). Anyway - I was working a more-than full-time job, and planning our wedding, and taking half-time classes for my education certification, applying for jobs, and getting ready to move. Not up for planning a class reunion for a bunch of classmates - especially when the girls in my class made Mean Girls look like kittens. High school was really miserable for me (until I quit paying attention to my high school and invested in friends elsewhere).

So -- now that FB is around, it looks like we may actually have a 20 year reunion. And I don't think I'll have to plan it! I don't know if I would go or not. I might - reunions are always during Rodeo Weekend, and we are often home that weekend anyway. Many of my classmates I knew from first grade on, and the guys were nice even if the girls were awful.... I don't know. I don't drink and never have, and my classmates were pretty heavy into drinking (and I think many still are) .... Reunions for our high school tend to be a potluck picnic at the town park, drinking at one of the local bars, maybe a raft trip or something on the Missouri River .... pretty kid-friendly and that's probably the only part I'd go to (not the bar or raft trip, which would be mostly drinking).

My sister went to her 20th last year and uploaded pictures from it. She had a great time - looking at the pictures, it was the same cliques together through the whole reunion. And I remember my mom's 25th. It was bizarro. She had about 10 classmates who went to Ivy League schools -- doctors, lawyers, investment bankers. And there were two women who were just the Belles of the Ball - everyone was clustered around them the whole time. Mom said they were the most popular, wonderful girls in her class and everyone loved them (Mom included). Compared to their classmates who had done all these interesting things and accomplished so much --- despite the fact that both women's lives were pretty sad, they were still all back in their old high school roles (my Mom was oblivious to this, I noticed it as a middle school student). Looking at what I typed that sounds really judgmental, and I don't mean it that way -- it just startled me that 25 years later, you've got people who have traveled the world and invented things and so on, and they're still enraptured by the same pecking order from high school.....?!

Not all who wander are lost.
#30 of 51 Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 AM

You people saying you graduated in a "small class of 90" are cracking me up!! I graduated in a class of 39 kids 23 years ago. Wild horses could not keep me away from a reunion - they are my favorite thing ever. We had a 5, 10, 15 and 20 so far. We also have had the majority of our class at each wedding and some at our kids' birthday parties. I hosted a kindergarten class dinner a few years ago at my house - super great also.

There is NOTHING (well, I suppose if I was in jail or an operating room or something) that would keep me from a reunion, and I was really and truly sad that some people didn't come. There wasn't anyone I didn't want to see.

I assume when you say it will be $2000 in plane tickets to go, that is for you, dp and two kids? You could just go alone if money is an issue. Or make it into a vacation to also see relatives or hit a nearby fun place.

At ours, some people had gained weight, some of the guys were bald, some people were divorced, some had never left our little town. But none of that mattered. We laughed til we cried - going over old stories. It was really great/fun/positive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page