Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
Pop is usual in the UK and Canada. I've only heard soda from Americans.
Actually, in the UK it is more likely to be referred to as a fizzy drink.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#62 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I call it all coke, but prefer the taste of pepsi! I am a native Texan.

DH calls it "cool drink" -- south african.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#63 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post
soda pop!

Catherine
I call it soda pop too...but, don't really drink it much anymore. It makes me cringe thinking of the ingredients.

Once and a while I will pick up a couple bottles of the coke in glass bottles made with real sugar. Wow...what a treat!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

#64 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM

I grew up calling it pop, but moved to Vegas and was darn near required to call it soda. So now I mostly call it soda, but revert to pop from time to time.

signature currently in transition
#65 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM

<---------- Weird Freak Here.

I'm in The South, and lots of my family is from Atlanta.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#66 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
(parts of) Northern New England: "tonic."

I was raised in another area of the country and could never make myself say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
I'm from Massachusetts, and my parents say "tonic." I've unintentionally scrubbed some of the Boston-ish from my speech, and tonic turned to soda for me. I also say "water fountain" instead of "bubbler," which always makes my mom squint at me.
Yes! I have fond memories of my Grandfather asking if I wanted a tonic! My mom says it sometimes as well. It was never part of my vocab, though. I'm a 'soda' gal all the way.

But I'll defend anyone who wants to call it tonic!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#67 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 PM

I grew up in Popland. Then I moved to Sodaland. Changing that term was the most difficult part of the transition.

Where I grew up a "soda" was an ice cream soda.
#68 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

I say pop. I am Canadian. My husband says soda, he's from NH. I say soda when talking to his family or they think I am weird. But we both have to play the word game on many things or our loved ones can't understand us.
#69 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM

We say pop because we live in the Midwest.

Once on a trip outside Philadelphia, I asked a waitress what kind of pop they had. She looked at me like I was crazy, then said (I swear I am not making this up!) I had "the worst mid-western accent she'd ever heard."

I always thought I talked like the people on TV...
#70 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Soda! (and I only like Coke, preferably in a glass bottle, made with cane sugar )
This is my favorite too! Although I will settle for Coke in a can, but never in plastic. It just tastes different.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#71 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Chicago gal here....It's POP!
#72 of 98 Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Grew up saying "tonic", at some point I started saying soda.
#73 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
It's like when you call all tissues Kleenx or all self-adhesive bandages Band-Aids or all sticky notes Post-its.

The brand name is used to refer to a whole category of products.

Here's some sample conversations.

me: "I'm going to the store do we need any coke?"
DH: "Yeah pick me up some Mt. Dews and some Cherry Coke please"

or

DH: "We need to stop and get some cokes for the party."
me:"OK, what kind does everyone like?"

I don't mind being called weird though.
Exactly! I've never had anybody understand that before. I don't know why it's okay to say Jell-O or Band-Aids for any brand but not Coke for all soft drinks? Oh well, weird and freak is a badge I've worn for so long it's a warm and comfy title now.
#74 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 AM

I'm in N. California and it's definitely soda here. When I was down south and ordered a soda, the waitress asked "Coke-Coke, Sprite-Coke, Orange-Coke, or Sweet Tea?" My hosts had to translate for me

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#75 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 AM

Chicago gal as well...I usually say soda and sometimes I say soda pop! I know my dad used to always say pop when I was growing up, so I am not sure what made me switch to soda. But I typically don't drink any of it, unless I have a bellyache and then it's strictly 7up.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#76 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's funny, because my mom who is from Green Bay, Wisconsin didn't call it pop or soda, she was more likely to say soft drinks for the category. But in general we'd just call it by name. She would buy RC when we were young, and we might ask for some, or if were sick, we'd ask for ginger ale or 7-up or even ask for cola.

Growing up I knew it was called soda pop, so I usually just said soda if I had a reason to specify the general category. I do remember my brother from Michigan calling it pop, however, which I thought was funny when I first heard it.
#77 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 AM

I grew up in NW PA saying pop. When I moved to Boston, I just could not bring myself to say soda, so I would just specify what kind (root beer, coke--as in coca-cola, etc). I knew a handful of people in Boston who called it tonic. Now that I've been in New England for 12 years, pop sounds funny to me.
#78 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM

Either by name or "car-bo-na-ted be-ver-age" in a misquote of the, I believe, Simpson's line "car-bo-na-ted so-da"
#79 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
Exactly! I've never had anybody understand that before. I don't know why it's okay to say Jell-O or Band-Aids for any brand but not Coke for all soft drinks?
Let's say someone asks you for a Band-Aid and you give them a Target bandage. What happens?

Let's say you ask for some cherry Jell-O and the waitress brings you a cherry gelatin dessert that was prepared in house with a base of Knox gelatin. What happens?

Let's say you ask for a coke, and the person's not from your freaky (teasing in the context of this thread, not being seriously insulting ) part of the country and they run right out and bring you back a Coca Cola. And you wanted a Sprite? What happens? What happens is it's your own darn fault for not saying soda or pop or a soft drink or something if you still needed time to think about what you wanted.

And you might laugh at that last example, but it seriously happened to a friend of my mom. "I'm headed to the store, anyone want anything?" and they all asked for "co' cola" and then when he got back "You didn't ask what TYPE of co' cola I wanted!!!"
#80 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's funny about the coke thing is if someone asked me what I wanted to drink, I wouldn't say soda and wait for them to ask me what kind, I'd just say the brand name to begin with.

I just watched God Grew Tired of Us and they showed one of the young men from Sudan living in Pittsburgh, I think, and he was talking about how things were different. And he pulled out a two liter bottle of Pepsi and said that in Sudan they had this drink but they called it Coca-Cola but here they called it something else. For some reason that cracked me up.
#81 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Soda- I'm from Maine.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#82 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
Exactly! I've never had anybody understand that before. I don't know why it's okay to say Jell-O or Band-Aids for any brand but not Coke for all soft drinks? Oh well, weird and freak is a badge I've worn for so long it's a warm and comfy title now.
Yeah but Jell-O does Gelatin, Kleenex does tissue, Band-Aids does adhesive bandages..... Coke does....well Coke..... (I picture Coke and only Coke) Maybe if you said Coca-Cola....because the company does a line-up of many beverages.
Even at that.....maybe "would you like a Coca-cola drink or a Pepsi drink?" lol....oh well each to his own....If I go somewhere where they ask if I want a Coke I will just say "a Diet Coke please".....and cross my fingers that they don't ask which one.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#83 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM

In NZ the class of drinks are called "fizzy drinks" or "fizzies".

ETA. And lemonade in NZ is a catch-all phrase for sprite/7-up/any-other-lemon flavored fizzy drink.
#84 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Let's say someone asks you for a Band-Aid and you give them a Target bandage. What happens?

Let's say you ask for some cherry Jell-O and the waitress brings you a cherry gelatin dessert that was prepared in house with a base of Knox gelatin. What happens?

Let's say you ask for a coke, and the person's not from your freaky (teasing in the context of this thread, not being seriously insulting ) part of the country and they run right out and bring you back a Coca Cola. And you wanted a Sprite? What happens? What happens is it's your own darn fault for not saying soda or pop or a soft drink or something if you still needed time to think about what you wanted.

And you might laugh at that last example, but it seriously happened to a friend of my mom. "I'm headed to the store, anyone want anything?" and they all asked for "co' cola" and then when he got back "You didn't ask what TYPE of co' cola I wanted!!!"

But in general, if you're ordering a drink then you're specific. I wouldn't say "a coke" when someone asked me what I wanted to drink unless I wanted a Coca-Cola. I might say, "What kind of cokes do you have?" if I wanted a "soda". We freaky ones only use "coke" in situations where we're referring to the general category of carbonated drinks.

I'm not saying misunderstandings never happen, when they do it usually involves someone who's not used to the whole "it's all coke here" cultural quirk. It's really not that complex. If it was we wouldn't keep doing it.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#85 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushka3000 View Post
In NZ the class of drinks are called "fizzy drinks" or "fizzies".

ETA. And lemonade in NZ is a catch-all phrase for sprite/7-up/any-other-lemon flavored fizzy drink.
Good to know. I will drink club soda or lemonade but not Sprite or 7-Up.

When we lived in Germany and would order water they asked with or without gas (bubbles). Just another thing...

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#86 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Coke, coke, coke, coke coke!

I'm in AR!
#87 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Other - soft drink.
#88 of 98 Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am from Northern Michigan and that is what we call it...I remember when I was 15 we went to a southern state and while there we went to the movies..I was in line at concession and when it was my turn she asked if she could help me...I said I just want some pop please...And then I said rootbeer...Guess she didn't hear the rootbeer part cause she gave me a bucket of popcorn...I said to her no I want pop...she just stared at me like what the heck!! So I pointed to the pop machine and said Root beer? That is when I learned that pop was called other things in different areas
#89 of 98 Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 AM

I live in a pop area but grew up in a soda area. I still call it soda b/c calling it pop just makes my skin crawl for some reason.
#90 of 98 Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 AM

I and everyone I know call it all Coke I'm in Louisiana.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page