Public Toilet Seat Poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When you use a public toilet seat do you...
Use that paper cover thing 54 21.77%
Not use the cover thing 124 50.00%
Squat. I'm not touching the seat AT ALL 55 22.18%
Refuse to use a public toilet 0 0%
Other 15 6.05%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you use a public toilet seat do you use that paper cover thing?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM

I voted other because I've never seen the covers and I avoid public washrooms. But I probably wouldn't use the cover if I came across one.
#3 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should put that I dont' use the cover!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM

i just sit down and pee. my mother uses the cover or layers of tp (when there is no cover) AND hovers. she was once in a bathroom on a train (in europe) which had no toilet paper and was filthy, but she had to pee. you know how trains can have sudden movements . . . yeah, she made full contact with the toilet and ended up applying purell to her butt.
#5 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM

no cover, and def. no squat!
those dang hover-craft ladies splash all over the seat and having wet-butt from someone else's pee splash is way worse than whatever germs would be there otherwise from someones buttcheeks!

i have not ever heard of anyone catching anything from a toilet seat.

I did however, use some of those paper covers to wrap up a dirty diaper the other day, so I was glad they were there..

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#6 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm in the UK, we don't get the covers here, so that is moot. But even they did, i don't use them. I just sit and pee unless the seat is actually covered in urine and excrement, in which case i would hunt out an alternative loo/clean up the seat with loo paper/hover if forced.

I always wonder what people think they are going to catch from a toilet seat...?
#7 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
I'm in the UK, we don't get the covers here, so that is moot. But even they did, i don't use them. I just sit and pee unless the seat is actually covered in urine and excrement, in which case i would hunt out an alternative loo/clean up the seat with loo paper/hover if forced.

I always wonder what people think they are going to catch from a toilet seat...?
Wasn't there an urban legend about getting herpes from a toilet seat? And AIDS I think...

#8 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Yeah, practically every STD in the world came from a toilet seat because otherwise you were sleeping around without protection, but it isn't ACTUALLY true! Do people really go around filled with fear based on some rubbish they heard in a locker room?
#9 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I inspect the seat first. If there is no urine or any other mess on the seat, I sit on it. If there is urine already on the seat I hover.

ETA: I rarely see the covers, but when I do I don't use them.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#10 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, practically every STD in the world came from a toilet seat because otherwise you were sleeping around without protection, but it isn't ACTUALLY true! Do people really go around filled with fear based on some rubbish they heard in a locker room?
Yes.

I mean, seriously, how many germs are on your thighs? (The part that touches the seat)

#11 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM

See i just dry urine off. I can't think of an infectious disease you could catch from urine in that context, so for me it's just avoiding the squick factor of having your thighs wet with someone else's wee!
#12 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
See i just dry urine off. I can't think of an infectious disease you could catch from urine in that context, so for me it's just avoiding the squick factor of having your thighs wet with someone else's wee!
IF it's a nasty place and I squat I clean up after myself!

#13 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yep. Me too. Most people's cheeks go from shower to clothes pretty quickly. Not a lot of time to pick up germs.

Now, public sinks? They disgust the hell out of me. I use towels to turn them on/off, etc. They're far more disgusting and germ-ridden than the toilet seats.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#14 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post
I inspect the seat first. If there is no urine or any other mess on the seat, I sit on it. If there is urine already on the seat I hover.

ETA: I rarely see the covers, but when I do I don't use them.
Yup, that explains my method.

Growing up, I was taught to cover the seat in layers of tp.

Then a couple years aback, I saw something on the news that proved that public restroom seats really aren't that germy, especially in relation to other public surfaces like door handles. The show even went into homes and showed how much dirtier the average home toilet is in comparison to a public restroom. Reason being most public restrooms are cleaned more often.

After learning that, I now sit most of the time and don't worry about it.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#15 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm so happy I'm not the only one to just sit and say F-it.

I do check for pee or other mysterious liquids, but mostly I find that squatting = me tumbling over and probably peeing on the floor so why bother?

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#16 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Yup, that explains my method.

Growing up, I was taught to cover the seat in layers of tp.

Then a couple years aback, I saw something on the news that proved that public restroom seats really aren't that germy, especially in relation to other public surfaces like door handles. The show even went into homes and showed how much dirtier the average home toilet is in comparison to a public restroom. Reason being most public restrooms are cleaned more often.

After learning that, I now sit most of the time and don't worry about it.
Yeah, your cell phone probably has more germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
I'm so happy I'm not the only one to just sit and say F-it.

I do check for pee or other mysterious liquids, but mostly I find that squatting = me tumbling over and probably peeing on the floor so why bother?
LOL Dude, especially when I was pregnant. It was hard enough to get to the bathroom, into the stall, and then get my pants down where I could pick them back up again...try to squat? As if

#17 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM

There's very little that thin piece of paper can do for you if there is something on the seat. I don't use it. I don't usually squat either, because it makes me stay too tense and I don't pee. I will squat if the seat is really bad and beyond cleanable and there's no other option. But usually I just go.

signature currently in transition
#18 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

I hover for #1 and wipe the seat down with TP and use the cover (or hover) for #2. I never just sit. Ick. But then I open the doors with my sleeve or a towel. I typically don't touch stuff in public.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#19 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryseis View Post
Yep. Me too. Most people's cheeks go from shower to clothes pretty quickly. Not a lot of time to pick up germs.

Now, public sinks? They disgust the hell out of me. I use towels to turn them on/off, etc. They're far more disgusting and germ-ridden than the toilet seats.

And the stall doors...ewwwww

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#20 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

If there is visible urine on the seat I just wipe it off. If the lighting isn't great and I can't tell for sure that the seat is clean, I wipe it off.

I don't bother with the covers. I sit... I have never figured out how people manage to hover.

Some years I go to a summer music festival that involves using a port-o-potty for about 5 days straight. If I can pee there, I can pee anywhere.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#21 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm a squatter, and apparently very talented at it, because I don't sprinkle the seat.
#22 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
I'm a squatter, and apparently very talented at it, because I don't sprinkle the seat.
You should do a seminar because most of the squatters I've followed can't seem to hit the toilet...

#23 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
no cover, and def. no squat!
those dang hover-craft ladies splash all over the seat and having wet-butt from someone else's pee splash is way worse than whatever germs would be there otherwise from someones buttcheeks!
Me too! I'm more skeeved out by a public payphone than I am about a public bathroom. And yes, I also believe it's the 'hover-craft ladies' that are making the bathroom a million times grodier.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#24 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM

I only use the toilet in a public rest room if I absolutely have to, and I wipe it down but they don't really have paper seat covers here so I don't use one.

That being said, I usually just use the urinal.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#25 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I rarely ever see the paper coverings

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#26 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

I don't bother with the paper covers. I'm too worried about keeping my kids from looking in the garbage, touching other parts of the toilet, sticking their fingers down the drain in the floor, escaping and leaving me, um, vulnerable, or otherwise getting into trouble to care much about some perceived germ problem touching my thighs. If I was really that worried about germs, I wouldn't go in the restroom in the first place.
#27 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Even though I know that urine is not that bad, I just can not sit where I saw sprinkles. Ugh. As for hovering...out of the question. I'm 5'4" and I would pee down my leg...I know this for sure I use the covers or some TP. However, if it looks like I'm the first one to use it, or it looks clean, I will just sit.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#28 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I voted for option 2, "don't use the paper thing," because that's what I do most often, but if the seat looks gross I'll hover, and very occasionally I'll use the paper liner on a whim.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#29 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM

Once I learned that the HIV virus can pass through material as tight as a condom, I figured the paper covers were pretty much a waste. I do, however, hover and avoid touching anything possible in a public restroom. I don't know, I'm 5' tall and never make a mess or miss? On the rare occasion I may sprinkle I wipe it off. FWIW I did know a lady who got a staph infection from the bathroom at a hospital though I don't know if it was from the seat, and from what I recall the one thing that can possibly be transmitted would be crabs as they are actual bugs that can live off a host for a while.
#30 of 91 Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Once I learned that the HIV virus can pass through material as tight as a condom, I figured the paper covers were pretty much a waste. I do, however, hover and avoid touching anything possible in a public restroom. I don't know, I'm 5' tall and never make a mess or miss? On the rare occasion I may sprinkle I wipe it off. FWIW I did know a lady who got a staph infection from the bathroom at a hospital though I don't know if it was from the seat, and from what I recall the one thing that can possibly be transmitted would be crabs as they are actual bugs that can live off a host for a while.
I'm more skeeved out about hospital ANYTHING than I am about the general public.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page